Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 08:27 AM

226 posts, read 979,363 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=2]Does everyone in Chicago without a college degree that are of college age work at a deskjob that they can just take a train to get to work? I notice many in these forums mentioned they don't own a car or they don't have to own a car. Are these people born rich that they don't have to be at work much that they can rely on an unreliable form of transportation (public) to get to work. I've always relied on my car to get me to places as I can't stand public transportation in the middle of the ghettos of MD and DC plus I don't do office work. I'm just not sure how people work or what people do in Chicago to get that money. Doesn't everyone need a car at some point? It's reliable compared to public transportation, unless u have a beat up car. Someone said long ago that cars are the driving force of the economy of this country. I'm a little confuse now. LOL. Do most young people in Chicago wait tables? Maybe I've just gotten used to having a car and when I lived in CA, a car in necessary. Those freeways are pretty huge and everything is spread out.
[/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2008, 08:39 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,231,327 times
are you serious? I'm paying $75 a month to get me everywhere I need to go. This is compared to when I was filling up my car at $40 a week (in a place with much cheaper gas about a year ago) JUST to get to work, let alone anything else. This doesn't include the money necessary to pay the car payment and insurance.

and it's called "figure out how long it takes you to get to work before you even start your job and the CTA is generally reliable." I think i've only been really late to work (say 15 minutes) twice.

no, i'm not rich. if i WAS rich, i'd own a car that would just sit there so i could look at it and remind myself that i AM rich.

plus if the "ghetto" transportation system bothers you so much, you can always ride a bike.

Old 02-16-2008, 09:10 AM

226 posts, read 979,363 times
yeah a bike. i hate having something (bike seat) on my ass first thing in the morning...you?

Old 02-16-2008, 09:23 AM

904 posts, read 2,872,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingsomewhere View Post
[SIZE=2]Does everyone in Chicago without a college degree that are of college age work at a deskjob that they can just take a train to get to work? I notice many in these forums mentioned they don't own a car or they don't have to own a car. Are these people born rich that they don't have to be at work much that they can rely on an unreliable form of transportation (public) to get to work. I've always relied on my car to get me to places as I can't stand public transportation in the middle of the ghettos of MD and DC plus I don't do office work. I'm just not sure how people work or what people do in Chicago to get that money. Doesn't everyone need a car at some point? It's reliable compared to public transportation, unless u have a beat up car. Someone said long ago that cars are the driving force of the economy of this country. I'm a little confuse now. LOL. Do most young people in Chicago wait tables? Maybe I've just gotten used to having a car and when I lived in CA, a car in necessary. Those freeways are pretty huge and everything is spread out.
[/SIZE]
Yeah, no offense or anything but I don't really get this one. The reason I don't have a car is that I am not rich. If I were rich, I would have one. I actually have a good friend who lives in DC sans car, and I'm originally from NY where many people go without cars (I had one, but I lived on the outskirts of the city). The CTA is slow at times, but you can plan for that and it runs frequently. If you live on the North Side, you probably won't have to go through the ghetto to get to work, either. I live within walking distance of of a Wallgreen's, a supermarket, a convenience store and several take-out food places. A car is handy at times, which is why I signed up for a car-sharing service (Zipcar), which is more economical and less of a hassle than actually owning one.

To be honest, I have not ruled out the possibility of buying a car at some point, but it's looking less likely every day. Though I can understand the appeal of it, it's really not necessary in much of Chicago.

Old 02-16-2008, 09:39 AM

904 posts, read 2,872,141 times
Also, people who drive to work in the Loop are batsh*t crazy. I could understand it in other parts of the city, but not the Loop.

Old 02-16-2008, 09:52 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,231,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonwattagelimit View Post
Also, people who drive to work in the Loop are batsh*t crazy. I could understand it in other parts of the city, but not the Loop.
but i thought everyone liked paying $30+ to park their cars?

Old 02-16-2008, 10:13 AM

145 posts, read 643,622 times
I'm not rich by any definition yet I have two cars. One is for family, grocery hauling purposes. The other one is probably why i'm not rich by any definition I take bus to work 70% of the time and remaining is cab. I take cab back 70% of the time and remaining is bus. I'd do buses more often both ways if my working hours were more like 9 to 5, and accordingly, buses were more frequent during my commute back as they seem to be in the morning. So the buses are reliable but sometimes, depending on your hours, could be infrequent.

Old 02-16-2008, 12:23 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
Cars are def. not the driving force of the economy in Chicago. Maybe in California there are but not here. It's pretty pointless to own a car if you both live and work in the city.

And no, most of us aren't rich. Actually I'd go so faras to say that very few of us are. I'd much rather sit on the el than fight through traffic in my gas guzzler anyway.

If you don't like that, and have problems with public transportation, Chicago would be a difficult adjustment for you.

Old 02-16-2008, 01:29 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,380,121 times
Have you ever even been to Chicago, pally-o? Did you put a similar post in the NYC forum? Owning a car there is REALLY dumb.

You're clearly just trying to stir the pot, but I can honestly say that I, for one, certainly am not rich now and DEFINITELY wasn't rich growing up, so take your assumptions, stick 'em in your tailpipe, and see what kind of mileage you get.

Old 02-16-2008, 02:56 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
I have been doing fine without a car since 2000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: