Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2016, 08:29 AM

1,258 posts, read 2,431,852 times

Advertisements

Can someone tell me about safety in and around this area (4-5 block walk to park), as well as the commute to downtown? The condo prices down in this area near the lake seem to be much less expensive than condos along North LSD. What makes this area more affordable? Is it a transit problem or crime problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2016, 09:07 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,389,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete6032 View Post
Can someone tell me about safety in and around this area (4-5 block walk to park), as well as the commute to downtown? The condo prices down in this area near the lake seem to be much less expensive than condos along North LSD. What makes this area more affordable? Is it a transit problem or crime problem?
Look at the crime map. Google "Chicago Police Clear Map." From there you can type in the address and see what crimes are going down in the area. You'll probably figure out why it's so cheap after you do that.

Old 06-21-2016, 09:09 AM

796 posts, read 918,050 times
Quote:
there's much worse crime over there in comparison to hyde park and the north side. also less ammenities and restaurants/shopping.

but they do have some buildings over there with doorman and secured parking, so it's definitely doable.

however, they do have beaches on 79th (rainbow beach). I have been there, and its far less crowded than the beaches on north ave, ohio and fullerton in comparison.

my friend who lives in one of the lakefront buildings over there told me she does not feel comfortable south of 75th street if you're looking in the area.

if I were looking in south shore, I'd prefer to live in the jackson park highlands area. but that's the area between 67th and 71st just west of jeffery. not sure if there are condos in that area really.

Old 06-21-2016, 09:28 AM

28,455 posts, read 84,936,054 times
Default Both, and the other effects of isolation...

Quote:
The visual appeal of many of the areas around South Shore, especially in summer, is excellent. It really is one of the areas that SHOULD be seeing more folks moving BUT the pull of areas that are closer to the north side L lines really is huge factor -- folks that want to "ride home after the bars close" can do that more quickly on the Blue or Red lines and with less of a feeling of going through "no man's land" as happens of the CTA routes that serve the south side. Beyond the absolute crime statistics (which are not really bad, especially with UofC patrols keeping things quiet...) there is just a much less cohesive feel to really the whole area south of Bridgeport, with the only exception being the core of Hyde Park.

The causes almost certainly have to do with the disinvestment that happened in the 60s & 70s and the shifts in the kinds of people that live and work in the area. There were once some vibrant shops and such but really the only parts of Chicago that have any sort of dense shopping now are along Michigan Ave -- even the once massive retail palaces of State St are now re-purposed into offices...

If work is in Hyde Park it might make sense to consider South Shore but even then you'd probably want to think about how you'd get around for social events and such. If work is not in Hyde Park there are not many good arguments for being so cut off from the more vibrant parts of Chicago. The handful of nightspots in / around Hyde Park & South Shore probably do not even compare favorably to what is available in a suburb like Evanston and though Evanston is not on the Red or Blue lines the combination of Metra and Purple line makes for easier commute to workplaces in the Loop.

Old 06-21-2016, 09:32 AM

4,620 posts, read 8,113,751 times
Quote:
Transit-wise, it's over a 30 minute commute by transit, maybe over 40 minutes depending on where in the South Shore you are and where in the Loop area you need to end up. So not great but not terrible if you're considering the far North Side as your other alternative. Locating near 69th and Jeffery would probably give you the best transit options - you'd be pretty near the Bryn Mawr Metra Electric station, near the J14/Jeffery Jump express bus line, and near the 6/Jackson Park express bus routes. You'd use the Metra Electric or the J14 to get to the Loop, or the 6 bus to get to Hyde Park, or the 67 or 30 bus to get to the Red Line or points west.

Safety-wise it's still worse than Uptown or the worse parts of Rogers Park - in other words, worse than the worst parts of the North Side. It's probably most comparable to Humboldt Park or the eastern half of Uptown. It is slightly safer overall than Woodlawn, which is between South Shore and Hyde Park. So it's not Englewood or East Garfield Park, but don't confuse it for even Edgewater and certainly not some place like Lincoln Square or West Ridge.

Besides safety and distance to the Loop, some of what pushes prices down there are the greater impact of the housing crisis on the South Side in general, and the lack of more than the bare minimum of perfunctory local businesses for shopping.

One thing to watch for price-wise just in general with condos are the assessments. Something to watch for in places like the South Shore are foreclosures both in the buildings you're interested and nearby buildings.

If none of that is a deal-breaker for you, you can certainly get some great deals in the South Shore and if few remaining parts of the north lakefront see enough price appreciation, and if the closer-to-downtown Douglas neighborhood fills in, you'll eventually see price appreciation in South Shore as it becomes an alternative to those areas. So far, though, the South Shore has more going for it on paper than in actuality.

Old 06-21-2016, 03:36 PM

796 posts, read 918,050 times
building on what @emathias said, I can't stress enough that there's not enough businesses and stores in that area. I live on the south side, but I can walk to multiple grocery stores, starbucks and the red line. And walmart and target are within 5 minutes of driving. south shore by the lakefront does not really have any stores like this.

The ammenities on the south side, will never compare to what's on the north side, near west, and downtown, but it's a shame that south shore has even less than areas like englewood which at least has multiple grocery stores and is served by both the green and red line.

Old 06-21-2016, 04:25 PM

4,620 posts, read 8,113,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaniemac View Post
building on what @emathias said, I can't stress enough that there's not enough businesses and stores in that area. I live on the south side, but I can walk to multiple grocery stores, starbucks and the red line. And walmart and target are within 5 minutes of driving. south shore by the lakefront does not really have any stores like this.

The ammenities on the south side, will never compare to what's on the north side, near west, and downtown, but it's a shame that south shore has even less than areas like englewood which at least has multiple grocery stores and is served by both the green and red line.
I ride my bike to the south end of the Lakefront Path sometimes and I can't tell you how many times I've been unable to find a place to buy even just a bottle of water within 1/2 mile of the lakefront between downtown and Hyde Park and then once again when I get south of about 63rd. Considering the the South Shore has a population density comparable to Lakeview, that was really surprising the first time I experienced it. If you have a car, it wouldn't really be too much of an issue once you have a mental map of where you want to go, but if you don't, or if you would prefer to just walk a few blocks for basics, you'd have to be pretty careful about exactly where in the South Shore you located. There are some smaller shops, but part of the problem, too, is that there tends to be a lot of turnover, so a shop that's there when you're looking at places may not be there in a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago