Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2008, 10:46 PM

2 posts, read 5,694 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am a 22 year old recent grad from Ohio State. I have a BA in Journalism. I have a friend going to Loyola for grad school in the fall and since I am dying to get back into a city environment and I loved Chicago when I visited it, I am thinking of moving there with her.

She is planning to move in June but I have a family friend I could most likely live with if I found a position sooner.

But I cannot just move there now since I have zero money saved and only have found part-time retail work down here in SW Florida.

I am just wanting to see if anyone has any advice for job hunting from out of state (way out of state).

Any great Career Fairs, Recruiters/Headhunters, companies hiring?

I am thinking of getting a plane ticket to attend a women for hire.com career fair, does anyone know if this is a good career fair?

I am wanting to be in printing/publishing but am looking into many different industries just to gain some valuable work history other than waitress and retail.

I would ideally like something in an office situation. Mostly as maybe an administrative assistant or entry-level consultant.

I am interested in many things.

Travel/Tourism (hotels), Architecture, Design, Book Publishing, Business.

Basically just a place to start out in and maybe grow with.

I am very entry-level but do have a degree and good communication and computer skills.

Any tips anyone can give me would be great.

And I don't really know the areas of Chicago well but I know my friend is thinking of finding a place near Loyola maybe in the Lincoln Park area. And if that is no where near Lincoln Park then she has no idea what she is saying about Chicago areas either.

But I am not scared of a commute, I already drive 45 - 60 minutes for my job here.

Thanks in advance posters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2008, 10:50 PM

15,585 posts, read 27,447,708 times
I do not mean to be rude,but for one of us (or all of us collectively) to answer everything you asked and set up a blueprint for your success,you might need to take us all out to dinner or pay us.:-)

Last edited by Avengerfire; 02-17-2008 at 11:05 PM..

Old 02-18-2008, 12:06 AM

2 posts, read 5,694 times
I don't know how that is. I was giving background info and just wondering if anyone in any of those industries knew any good leads.

I did not ask anything beyond that.

Sorry if my wordiness confused you.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:40 AM

391 posts, read 1,298,562 times
You can always try craigslist.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:45 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,485,827 times
I have a bachelors in journalism too (though at the University of Missouri they call it a BJ... dirty!) and moved her only recently myself. I was able to find a job before moving up there, but I don't know how much help I can be, because I feel like my opportunity was pure luck.

All I can say is (esp. if you don't mind an admin. assistant job) look around at Websites of any company you can find in Chicago. Essentially that's what I did.

Oh and Loyola isn't really that near Lincoln Park, though you could definitely live there and commute. Rents are a bit cheaper and you'll be closer to Loyola (though farther from the loop) if you live in an area like Lakeview.

I have no idea if that was helpful at all...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: