Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2016, 01:06 PM

779 posts, read 1,660,590 times

Advertisements

I'll be in Chicago soon and while i've been a few times and done most of the touristy things, I had two questions:

1. I've heard everyone say that in order to experience Chicago you'll need to visit the neighborhoods.
If I don't have transportation, what would be the best way to "visit the neighborhoods"? And if you only had one choice, which neighborhood would be the one to see?

2. I know it's cheesy, but i've never been on a yacht/cruise before so yes I want to try one of the dinner cruises. Which charter is best? Odyssey, Blue Spirit, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2016, 02:22 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,683,382 times
1. Blue line to Logan Square. Red line to Andersonville. Brown Line to Roscoe Village. Many options here.

2. Don't know.

Old 07-13-2016, 02:28 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,165,569 times
The CTA Trains (the L) are good to get to many neighborhoods. The Blue Line at Damen/North ave/Milwaukee ave is a good spot to walk around Wicker park.

Old 07-13-2016, 02:40 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
The relative ease of getting to some neighborhoods and the variety of options for dining & drinking in an area like Lakeview make it easy to suggest taking in a Cubs game at Wrigley.

In contrast, though the Red Line L train to 35th St is just as easy for getting to Bridgeport, once you get there there is not much to do other than walk around the relatively isolated US Cellular Field for a Sox and maybe visit a few not all that tourist friendly tap rooms.

In a different way, though the collections of University of Chicago's Oriental Institute are impressive, and together with the Smart Museum of Art and the more touristy Musesum of Science and Industry you could spend a few days in Hyde Park, the relative pitfalls of getting on the wrong express bus and ending up in a bleak and unsafe location are a real concern... Smart Museum of Art Plan well -- Getting Here - Museum of Science and Industry

Even worse getting to the historic spots of Pullman -- CTA Bus #111A Pullman Shuttle - Route Information

Offering still different challenges, the lakefront campus of Loyola University in Rogers Park, namely that other offering tours for prospective students there is not much reason to go -- Loyola University Chicago: Tours & Presentations Tours & Presentations

I suppose Pilsen and maybe Taylor Street are kind of the in the sweet spot of having enough spots that it is worth the relatively short L ride but even then I am not sure that a beef sandwich, Italian ice or authentic Mexican food is really reason enough to risk getting off the path of safety...

A Dozen Places Eat and Drink in Pilsen, Chicago | SAVEUR

Taylor Street Festa Italiana | Chi Town Festivals

Dinner cruises are a terribly bad value. If you feel the need to be on boat and eat from a buffet a brunch or lunch cruise makes more sense -- Chicago Dinner Cruise Pricing & Schedules | Odyssey Cruises

Much better deal to use the "water taxi" to get between Navy Pier and other spots -- Chicago Sightseeing Cruises | Boat Tours in Chicago | Chicago Lakefront Boats Plenty of great spots to eat on solid land in Chicago. West Loop/Fulton Market Restaurants | Chicago Restaurant Guide | Chicago Reader

Last edited by chet everett; 07-13-2016 at 02:49 PM..

Old 07-14-2016, 06:14 AM

2,990 posts, read 5,278,687 times
1. It's sort of a tough question depending on what you like. The trendy neighborhoods all tend to be in various stages of gentrification, and the really unique ethnic neighborhoods have largely crumbled, save Chinatown. So if your goal is to experience the kind of traditional pastiche of ethnic neighborhoods the city was once known for, you have to 1) be kind of a geek 2) be prepared to essentially take a tour of their remains/the relatively few restaurants etc. that are left 3) in many instances prepare to be underwhelmed

If you just want to go see a nice neighborhood with good restaurants, trendy bars, etc., there are dozens

2. I agree the dinner cruises are not very good. Consider the Tall Ship Windy. I would also do a Water Taxi and a Wandella river cruise.

Old 07-14-2016, 07:58 AM

1,975 posts, read 5,213,221 times
Best way to get around Chicago is the train (CTA).

What neighborhood depends a lot on your taste. From a first time visitors perspective I would probably take the Red Line train to the Belmont stop in Lakeview. You could walk around Belmont St., Clark St., Broadway, and check out Wrigley Field.

Old 07-14-2016, 08:48 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,940,693 times
If I had only one place to go I'd hop on the brown line and get off at Armitage.

http://www.transitchicago.com/assets...s/Armitage.pdf

Chicago Landmarks - District Details

My logis is that its a very nice place to stroll around, lots of shops and restaurants, its safe, its compact, the brown line takes you right there and its close to downtown Chicago. the brown line is the safest L train too. The ride there especially if you go around the loop can be very urban scenic.

Old 07-17-2016, 05:51 PM

37,145 posts, read 39,394,719 times
If you don't come from a city with much of an East Asian population, then it might make sense for you to take a water taxi on the Chicago River from the Loop to Chinatown. The ferry station in Chinatown lands in a nice park and then from there it's an easy walk to the many restaurants and stores of Chinatown.

Old 07-18-2016, 04:45 PM

779 posts, read 1,660,590 times
Thanks for all the recommendations. All taken into consideration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago