Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 05:00 AM

6 posts, read 22,340 times

Advertisements

It will just be slow, stop and go traffic. I don't think anyone will try to run you off the road. Have you experienced rush hour before? I agree that the best thing to do is just pick a starting point, and do the drive. I'm sure if it's horrible you'll know your decision
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 09:39 AM

459 posts, read 1,418,915 times
live in the city, not even a question here. i would also start looking for a job in the city.

Old 03-20-2008, 07:08 PM

184 posts, read 766,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishtacos View Post
Ouch...did you take 101 or PCH down and over? At least you have beach proximity in Oxnard, Ventura and Malibu.

Being a temporary weekend warrior isn't bad or uncommon, but long term I know a lot of people who've regretted the burb commute to city for weekends and not living there.
I preferred the 101 but would take PCH or 101 depending on traffic congestion reports (I learned to listen to traffic reports before leaving). I have a lot of long distance commuting experience and do not advise trading your weekday time and energy for partying. Save it for the weekends.

Old 03-20-2008, 07:32 PM

26 posts, read 87,799 times
A friend that works in Downers Grove said that living in the West Loop would be easier to get to 290 than Bucktown ... Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Old 03-20-2008, 07:42 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,654,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krwshl View Post
A friend that works in Downers Grove said that living in the West Loop would be easier to get to 290 than Bucktown ... Any thoughts?

Thanks!
If you look at a map you would see W.Loop is closer to 290 than Bucktown.

Old 03-21-2008, 03:10 PM

26 posts, read 87,799 times
Avenger,

Sorry I think I really asked the wrong question ... I knew it was closer to 290 I meant to ask if it was as "happening" of an area. Sorry for the newbie post.

Old 03-21-2008, 06:56 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,654,284 times
Quote:
Avenger,

Sorry I think I really asked the wrong question ... I knew it was closer to 290 I meant to ask if it was as "happening" of an area. Sorry for the newbie post.
That is fine next time I will have to whip you with a wet noodle!

Old 11-09-2010, 04:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,266 times
is there alot of traffic on 290 going into chicago from downers grove

Old 11-09-2010, 04:47 PM

3,698 posts, read 5,007,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario Mercado View Post
is there alot of traffic on 290 going into chicago from downers grove
During rush hour(7-9am 4-6pm) yes. Only way I would do this is if the work place(or wherever I needed to go) was accessible from Metra. A better Option would be to live in oak park or the west burbs.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:38 PM

422 posts, read 813,882 times
Quote:
I am in my mid twenties and was considering living in the city because I am not sure if I will get this opportunity again.
I really hope you move to the city now but a quote like that really shows what is wrong with society today and it's attitude towards cities. Who says it's your only opportunity to live in the city, you are only in your mid twenties? The city can be a great place to live for a person of any age, my grandmother passed away earlier this year at the age of 93 and lived her entire life from cradle to grave as a resident of the city of Chicago. So as a city native with relatives and friends living in the city from every age group from young child to elderly I find remarks like that coming from Yuppies to be quite odd.

I mean why are people brainwashed into believing "oh I am 30 now, I really need to move to the suburbs (kids or not) now otherwise I am just some slacker that never wants to grow up". Think for yourself and not be a conformist, if you really love living in the city then live there as long as you d*** well please and don't let a number based on the number of revolutions around the sun or any person tell you otherwise.

That said if you can afford it live somewhere on the near west side near UIC, that way you have easy access to the Eisenhower Expressway that leads to I-88 that will take you to your place of employment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago