Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 09:35 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,240,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Movingtookc View Post
Do you think neighborhoods like Mayfair, Jefferson Park, and North Park with see growing crime and a majority Hispanic population in the future?
I would love to buy in Forest Glen but I'm afraid that Chicago is pushing it's poor people west and that neighborhood might decline in years to come.
The NW side is well on its way to becoming a majority hispanic. However, if my building is any sort of bellwether, these are second and third generation hispanics with good jobs and solid income. That's what I'm seeing in Portage/Jefferson Park.

And Old Mayfair with its $300K bungalows and historic distinction for such is doing just fine. I'm not worried about anyone of any ethnicity who can afford a $300K home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2016, 10:19 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,893,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
The NW side is well on its way to becoming a majority hispanic. However, if my building is any sort of bellwether, these are second and third generation hispanics with good jobs and solid income. That's what I'm seeing in Portage/Jefferson Park.

And Old Mayfair with its $300K bungalows and historic distinction for such is doing just fine. I'm not worried about anyone of any ethnicity who can afford a $300K home.
Yes, that part of Mayfair is nice, and many houses cost considerably more than $300K. It is sometimes called North Mayfair. The area around Montrose and Pulaski, which is also in Mayfair, is the part I am concerned about.

Old 07-31-2016, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipes23 View Post
I'm not so sure. The area near the Forest Glen Metra station is pretty nice, though far from perfect. There is a lot of buffer around it with the Edens and the rail lines. I would say that's the most vulnerable part of Forest Glen, particularly the bit south of Foster. The rest (Edgebrook in particular) has the buffer of the forest preserves between it and the rest of the city. It really felt suburban when I lived in Jeff Park.

Also, I do not know what the OP is talking about when he says the city is getting worse. I think he is 100% wrong. The city is (mostly) nicer now than it was 30 years ago. There are some serious government problems at the municipal and state level, but the economy continues to be strong. My suspicion, echoed by many posters, is that the gentrification will continue to radiate out from downtown. It will probably follow the L lines and to a lesser degree the Metra lines.
I agree that Edgebrook, Wildwood, and other northern parts of the Forest Glen area are in very nice shape. The part near the Forest Glen Metra station is more vulnerable but still quite good, and there are many, many worse parts of the city. If you want a near-guarantee that property values will continue upward, however, I would buy toward the northern end of the area.

Anyone who thinks the city is in worse shape than 30 years ago must live in Marquette Park or maybe Belmont-Cragin, which have in fact declined. It's MUCH nicer now in most areas.

Old 07-31-2016, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post

Yes, that part of Mayfair is nice, and many houses cost considerably more than $300K. It is sometimes called North Mayfair. The area around Montrose and Pulaski, which is also in Mayfair, is the part I am concerned about.

Old 08-01-2016, 11:36 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,424,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movingtookc View Post
Do you think neighborhoods like Mayfair, Jefferson Park, and North Park with see growing crime and a majority Hispanic population in the future?
I would love to buy in Forest Glen but I'm afraid that Chicago is pushing it's poor people west and that neighborhood might decline in years to come.
With the middle class growing poorer I think you'll see some crime increase. But Cicero is poor and almost all Hispanic and its crime rate isn't that bad (still lower than Oak Park). A greater concern I'd have is school funding and performance and stagnant property values. The middle class is only going to be able to afford so much house, probably less and less house as we move along.

I think everyone is picking up on the reality that Chicagoland will continue to sort into haves and have nots, with a much, much sharper dividing line than we've ever historically seen.

Old 08-02-2016, 02:11 PM

14,801 posts, read 17,622,969 times
Generally, Chicago is better off now than it was 30 years ago. The areas attractive to upper middle to upper income people continues to expand. There are pockets of utter hopelessness that probably should be abandoned in a similar way as Detroit is doing in areas. The middle class is shrinking all over the country, nothing unique to Chicago. Though, read this for a better perspective on what is actually happening.

The Middle Class is Shrinking Because Many People are Getting Richer - Marginal REVOLUTION

http://www.urban.org/research/public...ew/full_report

The upper middle class is growing at the expense of the middle class. How is that a bad thing? It is clearly happening in Chicago too.

Old 08-02-2016, 02:31 PM

597 posts, read 663,046 times
is Mayfair where the Irish American center is, right off 94? That seems like a pretty nice neighborhood.

Old 08-02-2016, 06:23 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,240,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goillini8 View Post
is Mayfair where the Irish American center is, right off 94? That seems like a pretty nice neighborhood.
Yep - that's it.

Old 08-02-2016, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Generally, Chicago is better off now than it was 30 years ago. The areas attractive to upper middle to upper income people continues to expand. There are pockets of utter hopelessness that probably should be abandoned in a similar way as Detroit is doing in areas. The middle class is shrinking all over the country, nothing unique to Chicago. Though, read this for a better perspective on what is actually happening.

The Middle Class is Shrinking Because Many People are Getting Richer - Marginal REVOLUTION

The Growing Size and Incomes of the Upper Middle Class | Urban Institute

The upper middle class is growing at the expense of the middle class. How is that a bad thing? It is clearly happening in Chicago too.
It's only a bad thing if you can't even get into the middle class. People with limited ability used to have an easier path to the middle class than they do now, while people whose skills are well matched to today's economy are doing great.

Glad to see you're quoting MR and the Urban Institute. Good folks.

Old 08-03-2016, 04:44 AM

14,801 posts, read 17,622,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
It's only a bad thing if you can't even get into the middle class. People with limited ability used to have an easier path to the middle class than they do now, while people whose skills are well matched to today's economy are doing great.

Glad to see you're quoting MR and the Urban Institute. Good folks.
I think that is right. It is likely much harder now to get out of the lower classes. Luckily those are shrinking too according to the study.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago