Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2019, 12:34 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,409,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Keag View Post
How is Chicago going to be in the future, I feel that the whole city has gotten much worse today than what it was 10-30 years ago, what neighborhoods in the city for the future will get better, and what neighborhoods in the city for the future will get worse?, honestly I know there is a North Side, South Side, and West Side, please be accurate because I wan't to know what neighborhoods in the future is getting worse and worse, please, thank you
From 3 years ago. Wonder how OP feels about Chicago today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2019, 12:39 PM

4,648 posts, read 3,254,543 times
How about we flip that mentality/attitude switch in our heads to SINCERE POSITIVE??? And we can discuss all the great neighborhoods an all the sides of Chicago? I think when people focus on positivity, life in general seems to work out better!- Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 11-04-2019, 07:28 AM

187 posts, read 185,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
How about we flip that mentality/attitude switch in our heads to SINCERE POSITIVE??? And we can discuss all the great neighborhoods an all the sides of Chicago? I think when people focus on positivity, life in general seems to work out better!- Master Jay in Milwaukee
Ok then, great! So what are your positive thoughts on Chicago's neighborhoods for let's say 2020? Particularly the south side.

Old 11-04-2019, 09:02 AM

WestSideMillenial, good morning. It sounds to me from reading, that Bronzeville has already begun a positive movement in improving the area with realty and shops. Perhaps someone can add to that... And Pilsen we know has been developing the last several years, in particular on the east end. I've certainly seen changes as I drive through or stop by. And then areas I've been to have remained rather consistently positive, such as Armour Square and Bridgeport. I've never travelled so far south, but I understand there are areas doing well such as Mt. Greenwood and Beverly? As far as crime, it can occur even in the best of areas. But overall, there are certainly fine areas, all over the city, as well. Have a great day! Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 11-04-2019, 11:22 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,580,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestSideMillennial View Post
Ok then, great! So what are your positive thoughts on Chicago's neighborhoods for let's say 2020? Particularly the south side.
Well, it is pretty much 2020 already, but how about a five-year forecast for the southside, only positives.

As the Asians migrate southwest along the orange line, McKinley Park will continue to clean up and Brighton Park will see some more stability.

The Asian population of northern Bronzeville will continue to grow, and with that neighborhood stability.

Hyde Park will flourish and become more an international student destination, in part due to its upcoming $100,000/year tuition.

Woodlawn will mirror Bronzeville on a smaller scale and start to see some mid 6-figure home sales, either near the university or the Obama library.

Lagunitas will start hosting an annual event at Douglas Park around the time of Riot Fest, thereby giving that area an infusion of life, tourist money, and good morale.

The Blue Door Center in Pullman will be a major success, and other insurance companies (perhaps even private businesses) will begin building similar community centers in working class and gritty areas.

And finally, Heart of Italy/Oakley (you know the area) will become the one true Little Italy, as UIC almost completely devour the existing Little Italy. With that momentum Oakley will see new Italian eateries, shops, and grow in density and reputation.

Last edited by TBideon; 11-04-2019 at 11:31 AM..

Old 11-04-2019, 11:43 AM

TBideon, ahhhh you mentioned one of my favorite southside neighborhoods: Heart of Italy! GRATZIE! I hope to see that area grow more Italian. I miss Miceli's Deli so much!... Another southside neighborhood that carries my heart is St. Jerome, along Princeton Avenue, in Armour Square. I hope it retains the Croatian and Sicilian residents, while the Chinese population is spreading... and thank you, TBideon, for carrying on the positivity! Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 11-04-2019, 01:54 PM

3,924 posts, read 6,836,808 times
Most of you are right. Chicago is getting much more expensive to live in. But that's because people are choosing to live in major cities these days! This is a reverse effect from the suburban sprawl we saw in the 50's and 60's. Back then cities were dangerous, cramped, dirty, and many lacked the variety of amenities they have today.

Now that cities have learned they need to appeal to the lifestyles of their residents, people are starting to move back. This is why you're seeing areas gentrifying at rates you haven't seen in decades. The exception would be in undesirable neighborhoods which are typically associated with high crime rates, lack of public transit, or both.

The reason cities are getting more expensive are because they are attracting upper class citizens. Younger people PREFER to live in the city confines where all of the action is as opposed to living in far out suburbs. I was one of these statistics for many years.

Old 11-05-2019, 11:04 AM

885 posts, read 624,911 times
TBideon and Master Jay:

The area which you both referred to as Heart of Italy is actually called Heart of Chicago. It's a community within of Pilsen.

The Italian population in this area consisted mainly of Northern Italians, especially from Tuscany.

My parents (Italian Americans) always preferred the restaurant offerings on Oakley Ave. in this area, as opposed to the ones on Taylor St. on the Near West Side. They felt that the Heart of Chicago restaurants were more authentic and less geared toward tourists.

Last edited by Nearwest; 11-05-2019 at 11:15 AM..

Old 11-05-2019, 11:16 AM

Nearwest, good day. No doubt the area is called Heart of Chicago! However, I have also heard of this area as referred to Heart of Italy neighborhood or even Little Tuscany... I do like both area for thrir restaurants, and yet I appreciate the more homey feel and old school neighborhood feel of "Heart of Chicago." .... that said, why the heck have I passed a hotel, called the Heart of Chicago Hotel, but it's way north by Peterson and Clark??? In any event, I've been an Ignotz fan for a few years. I did ho into the older, Brunas, once while waiting for Ignotz to open. The staff and clients at Brunas were very nice to me! And the area is very safe, and is EVEN a south side neighborhood Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 11-05-2019, 11:18 AM

P.S. I meant, "... GO into the older, Brunas...."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago