Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2019, 11:06 AM

4,620 posts, read 3,192,892 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking sirrob was being VERY facetious when he indicated West Garfield was a scorching hot area!- Master Jay from Milwaukee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2019, 04:10 PM

4,068 posts, read 7,285,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
I'm thinking sirrob was being VERY facetious when he indicated West Garfield was a scorching hot area!- Master Jay from Milwaukee
Maybe he was talking about the arson rate?

Old 11-18-2019, 09:00 AM

187 posts, read 183,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKParker View Post
West Garfield Park is the scariest part of the west side by a long shot..
I would think that would be Austin...Haven't been at all to West Garfield Park though.

Old 11-18-2019, 09:58 AM

andrew61, only sirrob can explain their words! Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 11-18-2019, 06:51 PM

504 posts, read 491,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestSideMillennial View Post
I would think that would be Austin...Haven't been at all to West Garfield Park though.
Austin west of Central is pretty nice. After central it keeps getting progressively worse until you get to Garfield Park.. where WGP is the worst neighborhood I've been around for house hunting - lots of open air drug markets and people on the corners.

Old 11-18-2019, 07:18 PM

OKParker, I support your statement on the west end of Austin. The Galewood neighborhood of Austin is nice, and defies the negative reputation that Austin area unfortunately has. Hopefully I will live to see the other areas of Austin and ANY Garfield Park change for the better. I've done some reading, and my understanding is they were all once acceptable areas! Hopefully they can one day come full circle! Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 11-19-2019, 02:00 PM

875 posts, read 611,273 times
Redevelopment (gentrification?) in East Garfield Park has crept as far west as California Ave. (2800W) in some parts. You can view some of the new residential construction in this part of EGP when driving along the Eisenhower (I-290).

West Garfield Park is still perceived as one of the most unsafe and crime-filled neighborhoods in Chicago. Earlier this year, I read in either the Sun-Times or the Tribune that the intersection of Pulaski Rd. and Adams St. (4000W-200S) in WGP is the epicenter of violent crime on the West Side.

But, things might be looking up in WGP. The Chicago Public Library is upgrading the Legler Library, which serves this area, to become a regional branch again. This improvement will include late weekday hours as well as this library being open on Sun. The physical renovation of the building is currently taking place.

Last edited by Nearwest; 11-19-2019 at 02:26 PM..

Old 11-19-2019, 05:23 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,417,569 times
Quote:
Not sure that he is. I am absolutely astounded by the amount of money properties and East Garfield Park and North Lawndale are going for. We're getting a lot of out-of-state investors in addition to inexperienced investors who live here. And they're driving up prices. The former have a different basis of comparison and the latter a lot of optimism and access to low down payment loans, and in a lot of cases, parent money.

I don't know if West Garfield is hot because I don't focus on that area. But I could see it bringing in much higher prices than, say, comparable high crime South Side neighborhoods like Englewood and Roseland, due to the West Loop's growth and Green and Blue lines.

I would not take a chance on a high risk area like that. But I do know that there's going to be a lot of pressure to gentrify East Garfield Park, Little Village, and North Lawndale. There's too much money being invested in these areas relative to their historic rents to not have that pressure. The biggest question is whether we're going to have enough hipsters and young professionals to fill all this in.

Old 11-19-2019, 06:49 PM

BRU67, then you would know better than me. You see that area more than I do. Im glad to hear it. But honestly, I'd like to see those areas develop for the better, while the majority of current residents (Black/African-Americans) are still majority resident, and not because hipsters, or whomever, decide to start moving in. That said, for me, WHOMEVER puts their resources and energy together to bring good change, I will always support! I'm planning to make a trip down this Thursday or Sunday. Maybe Ill be able to drive through and see! Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 11-19-2019, 09:12 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,417,569 times
Quote:
BRU67, then you would know better than me. You see that area more than I do. Im glad to hear it. But honestly, I'd like to see those areas develop for the better, while the majority of current residents (Black/African-Americans) are still majority resident, and not because hipsters, or whomever, decide to start moving in. That said, for me, WHOMEVER puts their resources and energy together to bring good change, I will always support! I'm planning to make a trip down this Thursday or Sunday. Maybe Ill be able to drive through and see! Master Jay in Milwaukee
It's a dream to think these neighborhoods will "develop for the better," as most people buying there define that term, without significant demographic changes. It's not PC to say it aloud so they won't, but that's what they're thinking.

Plus, there's a matter of necessity. 75% of the ads for multi-units in the areas I referenced say something like "rents could be higher!" Given the amount of money they're selling for now, they absolutely have to be higher, unless you want to play Santa Claus year round and lose a lot of money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago