Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2019, 11:30 AM

886 posts, read 625,989 times

Advertisements

Master Jay:

Thanks for the response. People who live in Pilsen/Heart of Chicago usually don't view themselves as living on the South Side.

Chicago is divided into 77 community areas. Pilsen/Heart of Chicago are in the area officially known as the Lower West Side.

Some attractions which make this area ripe for redevelopment are proximity to downtown (less than 5 miles) and the Pink Line on the L. which provides an easy commute to the Loop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2019, 11:41 AM

4,655 posts, read 3,264,125 times
Nearwest, forgive me but it's evident I'm thinking/speaking/writing as a Milwaukeean Here, when you cross south of our viaducts, you are South Side. So as a Milwaukeean, I'm looking at it as if one goes south of Madison Street in Chicago, one is South Side!... I do have the book on the 77 Communities... So, can I say Heart of Chicago neighborhood is: ON the southside AND lower west side??? And I'd like to see more Tuscan/Italian establishments move in, particularly where Miceli's, and the funeral home were. The young couple that did art and printing that moved into the funeral home, made the Oakley Avenue t shirts for me and my children! Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 11-07-2019, 01:29 PM

410 posts, read 634,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Need to define "worse." Generally speaking, assuming Chicago continues to sustain economic growth, I see the City center continuing to expand outward in all directions, taking in some currently poor areas as it does so. How far that goes depends on how well the City does economically but I can see it spreading out as far south as Bridgeport and as far west as Kedzie.

The north side will continue on its affluent path, gradually absorbing Rogers Park, Uptown, and Humboldt Park into the "Emerald City" sphere.

The NW and SW side bungalow belt neighborhoods and inner ring suburbs will become more densely populated with working class and poor Hispanic (west) and African-American (south) families. We will come to call this the "middle class," though their income levels will not be near historical middle class norms. I also think immigrants will continue to skip traditional City ports of entry and go straight to the suburbs.

The City's more troubled neighborhoods on the south and west side will continue to struggle and depopulate. Those which are near the borders of gentrification (for example East Garfield Park) could see some urban renewal but, by and large, I think you'll see these community areas become more and more "Detroit-like" with nature gradually taking back vacant lots and even streets.

The future of the suburbs is more murky. I do think the "back to the city" movement is real, and middle class people, as that term is being redefined, won't be able to afford (or want to afford) high taxes and huge houses, or tolerate long commutes. The Caucasian, white collar middle class that fueled these homogeneous communities and schools for the past half century will remain in sizeable numbers, but I think it'll shrink and won't be able to sustain all of the exburbs and even some of the traditionally solid middle class suburbs.

Obviously, a lot could change this prediction. Chicago has to continue to create white collar professional jobs for the city center and north side to continue to grow. And a sudden growth in manufacturing within Chicago could alter my predictions for the south and west sides, or the exburbs if manufacturing starts locating further out. But the above is about what I see happening based on our current trajectory.
I think you made some astute observations here and your analysis is on point. One thing I would add though, is that many suburbs that may suffer from the declining interest in these communities will still receive a boost from international migrants. You can see this in upper/middle income towns like Naperville, Glenview, Skokie. Many Asian and/or Latino families picking up residence in the suburbs in search of good schools, or safer communities.

Old 11-10-2019, 06:00 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,465,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by japster28 View Post
I think you made some astute observations here and your analysis is on point. One thing I would add though, is that many suburbs that may suffer from the declining interest in these communities will still receive a boost from international migrants. You can see this in upper/middle income towns like Naperville, Glenview, Skokie. Many Asian and/or Latino families picking up residence in the suburbs in search of good schools, or safer communities.
Agree to a point. I definitely think lower income working class immigrants will continue their moves to the suburbs as immigrants leave - or even avoid in the first place - traditional immigrant communities in Chicago proper. We've actually been seeing this trend since the late 1980s, though it's sexy around these parts to blame that on gentrification. That's really not it, but anyway...

It is becoming clear that overall, the high demand to live in properties in the City among the monied progressive class, the decline in the middle class, and the sheer number of suburbs which exist, will cause a steady drop in suburban property values, outside a few affuent areas (though that's not even guaranteed). I also think the Illinois tax burden, if not addressed, will cause losses of the declining middle class to NWI as well, exacerbating the problem.

I also think many of these suburban communities will start seeing more and more of the social ills which have plagued the most troubled City neighborhoods if this trend continues in full force or picks up steam. After all, we're not really solving the root causes of the problems. We're just pushing them elsewhere (or trying to).

Old 11-14-2019, 07:24 PM

631 posts, read 1,094,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
If I had the money, I'd buy everything around Garfield Park and start fixing it up. Someday someone's going to want to make that Park great again.
I've definitely been hearing some things about Garfield Park lately, specifically West Garfield Park. Scorching hot area right now!

Old 11-15-2019, 06:19 AM

4,655 posts, read 3,264,125 times
Just yesterday my children and I were looking at pictures of when we were at the Garfield Park Conservatory. It's such a beautiful place. I WISH the area on the outside could match! Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 11-15-2019, 07:24 AM

1,068 posts, read 917,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirrob View Post
I've definitely been hearing some things about Garfield Park lately, specifically West Garfield Park. Scorching hot area right now!
I think you mean East Garfield Park. West Garfield Park is a war zone.

Old 11-15-2019, 12:31 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,582,510 times
East is no picnic either.

Old 11-15-2019, 01:51 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,465,991 times
Quote:
Which means smart money won't invest there. Too speculative. You're paying for potential value, not value based on current rents or appreciation rates.

Old 11-17-2019, 10:31 AM

504 posts, read 496,941 times
Quote:
West Garfield Park is the scariest part of the west side by a long shot..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago