Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 07:14 PM

122 posts, read 201,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
I know that everybody in Chitown will be rooting for the Cubbies to break the curse this year. But I remember hearing that at some point in the not-too-distant past Chicago was divided, with the Cubs having their biggest local fan base on the South Side and the White Sox having theirs on the North Side. Is/was there any truth to that?
The Cubs are by far more popular in Chicago and the suburbs than the White Sox. South Siders is where there is the majority of Sox fans are. Everywhere else seems to be mostly Cubs fans. Also there are many that support both teams but maybe like one better than the other. Chicago Cubs are a national big market team which in return comes a huge fan base everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 05:33 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,988,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
I know that everybody in Chitown will be rooting for the Cubbies to break the curse this year. But I remember hearing that at some point in the not-too-distant past Chicago was divided, with the Cubs having their biggest local fan base on the South Side and the White Sox having theirs on the North Side. Is/was there any truth to that?
It's the exact opposite: Cubs north side, Sox south side.

Old 08-17-2016, 06:31 AM

4,948 posts, read 3,053,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
lol, that pretty much sums it up! but it will be a fun party!

I was at Rush and Division when da Bears won the Superbowl, that memory is permanently burned into my brain!
It was 5 degrees outside, which didn't stop half naked drunks from overturning and then setting ablaze 2 police cars.
The city was much better prepared for the Bulls first title.

Old 08-17-2016, 07:47 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,770,288 times
Right. Then the Cubbies will win it in 5!

Quote:
Originally Posted by agstacker View Post
Cubs will not host game 7 of the World Series. The AL won the all star game, so the American League will have home field advantage.

Old 08-17-2016, 02:07 PM

2,561 posts, read 2,181,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agstacker View Post
The Cubs are by far more popular in Chicago and the suburbs than the White Sox. South Siders is where there is the majority of Sox fans are. Everywhere else seems to be mostly Cubs fans. Also there are many that support both teams but maybe like one better than the other. Chicago Cubs are a national big market team which in return comes a huge fan base everywhere.
I wouldn't go so far as to lump all the suburbs together. The Sox are a lot more popular in the south and southwest suburbs. There's probably a slight bias toward the Cubs in the western suburbs. Northern suburbs is significant Cubs territory and they get the edge partly because the northern burbs have a greater population than the south/southwest suburbs.

Old 08-17-2016, 07:50 PM

66 posts, read 117,897 times
I'd worry more about the North Side being destroyed by a meteor strike, than by a Cubs championship riot.

Old 06-13-2017, 10:31 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,875,021 times
Bumping this cool thread, because... well, you know.

Here's what happened.
1. Schools were canceled next day.
2. Workplaces were open, but the buildings were deserted. Those who came in spent most of the day on YouTube and news sites.
3. Downtown and Wrigleyville streets were filled with millions of people, with some crazy people climbing on lampposts.
4. Everybody and their brother started wearing Cubs apparel. (including yours truly)
5. Temporary Cubs vendors opened in empty storefronts, only to close a few months later.
6. All retail stores started carrying any Cubs merchandise they could get their hands on.
7. White Sox fans decided to grin in and bear it, and reluctantly congratulated their rivals.

Oh, and go Cubs!

Old 06-13-2017, 10:40 AM

1,022 posts, read 774,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Bumping this cool thread, because... well, you know.

Here's what happened.
1. Schools were canceled next day.
2. Workplaces were open, but the buildings were deserted. Those who came in spent most of the day on YouTube and news sites.
3. Downtown and Wrigleyville streets were filled with millions of people, with some crazy people climbing on lampposts.
4. Everybody and their brother started wearing Cubs apparel. (including yours truly)
5. Temporary Cubs vendors opened in empty storefronts, only to close a few months later.
6. All retail stores started carrying any Cubs merchandise they could get their hands on.
7. White Sox fans decided to grin in and bear it, and reluctantly congratulated their rivals.

Oh, and go Cubs!
Did cub fans grin and bear it in 2005 and congratulate Sox fans?

Old 06-13-2017, 10:44 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,196,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prhill View Post
Did cub fans grin and bear it in 2005 and congratulate Sox fans?
Yes, I was here in 2005 and I actually live a few hundred feet from Wrigley now. Back in 2005 most Cubs fans were happy for the Sox or just didn't really care.

I find if there is a trend, it's that Sox fans don't like the Cubs and think its overrated and gets all the attention, and the Cubs just kinda don't notice the Sox exist, don't have good or bad feelings for them.

Old 06-13-2017, 10:58 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,875,021 times
My last line item (#7) was me being facetious. I get the rivalry thing, but in my observations, the Cubs/Sox rivalry is mostly good-natured and sportsman-like. Or they don't pay attention to the rival team. I never saw any violent clashes.

There's a handful of Sox fans at my work, and we did a little bit of humorous banter over it. Still, my work has more Cubs fans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: