Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 10:53 PM

4 posts, read 7,014 times

Advertisements

I'm 22 years old and fresh out of college. I work in the Loop and my roommate works in the suburbs so we found a place in Logan Square as a commute compromise. We will be moving into an apartment between Cortland and Drake and Cortland and St Louis (near the Armitage and Kimball and Kimball and Cortland bus stops), immediately west of Kimball. Is this generally a "safe" area? The building has a gate (although anyone could climb over) and surveillance cameras. The blue line is unfortunately a 26 minute walk away (the California stop) so in the morning/evenings I would have to take the bus. However, if I work late I would just take an uber and charge it to the office, and if I'm drunk and with friends I could uber as well.

But how much precaution should I take in this area? Is there an area I should just never venture past? Any advice would be much appreciated. As my friends and I are young, I expect us to go out quite often so we'd be out and about pretty late at night.

Last edited by Friedman332; 08-28-2016 at 11:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2016, 11:50 PM

155 posts, read 160,641 times
Well, you're near Scofflaw so that's cool. Neighborhood wouldn't be my choice for being young and out late at night.

Old 08-29-2016, 12:55 AM

3,500 posts, read 3,132,544 times
That area has improved a lot and continues to improve with the addition of the 606. The stretch of Armitage between Kimball and Kedzie continues to add quality nightlife options (Sink/Swim, Best Intentions) as well, so overall I think you'll be fine. You'll definitely want to be aware of your surroundings because there are still rough pockets and gang activity (they usually don't really mess with unaffiliated people though) in short, there is still some crime (mostly property) to be aware of and you need to take normal city precautions but it's a decent area to live in. The transit situation, however, kind of blows. I hate having to take one bus to the El, let alone two. (I'm impatient) you could always catch the North Ave bus to the Damen stop though and save yourself some waiting.

Old 08-29-2016, 05:58 AM

2,990 posts, read 5,276,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friedman332 View Post
I'm 22 years old and fresh out of college. I work in the Loop and my roommate works in the suburbs so we found a place in Logan Square as a commute compromise. We will be moving into an apartment between Cortland and Drake and Cortland and St Louis (near the Armitage and Kimball and Kimball and Cortland bus stops), immediately west of Kimball. Is this generally a "safe" area? The building has a gate (although anyone could climb over) and surveillance cameras. The blue line is unfortunately a 26 minute walk away (the California stop) so in the morning/evenings I would have to take the bus. However, if I work late I would just take an uber and charge it to the office, and if I'm drunk and with friends I could uber as well.

But how much precaution should I take in this area? Is there an area I should just never venture past? Any advice would be much appreciated. As my friends and I are young, I expect us to go out quite often so we'd be out and about pretty late at night.
Without having lived there, my impression is there isn't a ton to worry about except potentially in the circumstances you describe -- coming home really late plowed.

In terms of boundaries, Humboldt Park used to be one of the worst areas of the city but has really settled down. The homicide rate has fallen off a cliff and what's left of the really high crime concentrations has been pushed to Austin and Garfield Park.

People who live in the area can give you more specific advice, and I would definitely exercise caution and be aware of your surroundings, but there really isn't a notable high homicide concentration in that vicinity anymore.

With transit, if I were you I'd just get a bike to ride to the el and back every morning, or potentially look for something closer to the blue line.

That double transfer will end up being a real pain in the a$$, sending you out the door an extra half hour early every morning, and after a while you will likely end up hating it.

Old 08-29-2016, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
Without having lived there, my impression is there isn't a ton to worry about except potentially in the circumstances you describe -- coming home really late plowed.

In terms of boundaries, Humboldt Park used to be one of the worst areas of the city but has really settled down. The homicide rate has fallen off a cliff and what's left of the really high crime concentrations has been pushed to Austin and Garfield Park.

People who live in the area can give you more specific advice, and I would definitely exercise caution and be aware of your surroundings, but there really isn't a notable high homicide concentration in that vicinity anymore.

With transit, if I were you I'd just get a bike to ride to the el and back every morning, or potentially look for something closer to the blue line.

That double transfer will end up being a real pain in the a$$, sending you out the door an extra half hour early every morning, and after a while you will likely end up hating it.

I must've been unclear in my original post, it's just one bus to the L and not two, although I have 2-3 stops near my apartment. So my total commute (one way) is 35-40 minutes to work, which hopefully will be doable. But in the winter it's gonna suck.

Old 08-29-2016, 07:43 AM

2,990 posts, read 5,276,163 times
Quote:
I must've been unclear in my original post, it's just one bus to the L and not two, although I have 2-3 stops near my apartment. So my total commute (one way) is 35-40 minutes to work, which hopefully will be doable. But in the winter it's gonna suck.
Well, yes, single transfer.

To each their own.

Most people are annoyed enough waiting and jumping on one or another. That's all I'm saying.

But then again I know people who do what you're planning and don't mind it.

I personally would hate it.

Old 08-29-2016, 08:15 AM

3,500 posts, read 3,132,544 times
Quote:
How do you figure only one bus to get to the California stop? Are you walking to Fullerton or California to catch the bus? If not, you'll need to catch two buses (or hoof it over half a mile at some point)
Consider taking my advice about taking the North Avenue bus to the Damen stop. It's a more efficient option. (I know because I live in the area)

ETA: You could also take the Armitage bus to the Western stop but I find the North Ave bus is faster and runs more frequently and for longer hours.

Last edited by quigboto; 08-29-2016 at 09:29 AM..

Old 08-29-2016, 08:34 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,102,981 times
Drake and Cortland is a IG sect. IG is a gang called Imperial Gangsters, their colors are black and pink.

The IGs in Chicago are pretty soft, and so they're not as hated. In fact, the IGs in northwest Indiana are doing a lot of sht and getting into federal raids, but their top guy no longer reports to Chicago. I was talking to an old school IG from your area, he basically says the founder of the northwest Indiana region split off from Chicago, so.

Old 08-29-2016, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigboto View Post
How do you figure only one bus to get to the California stop? Are you walking to Fullerton or California to catch the bus? If not, you'll need to catch two buses (or hoof it over half a mile at some point)
Consider taking my advice about taking the North Avenue bus to the Damen stop. It's a more efficient option. (I know because I live in the area)

ETA: You could also take the Armitage bus to the Western stop but I find the North Ave bus is faster and runs more frequently and for longer hours.
Google Maps is saying to take a bus from Kimball and Cortland to Belmont and Kimball, which is a minute walk away from the California blue line stop. Does this sound feasible/reasonable?

Old 08-29-2016, 06:04 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,339,180 times
Quote:
Google Maps is saying to take a bus from Kimball and Cortland to Belmont and Kimball, which is a minute walk away from the California blue line stop. Does this sound feasible/reasonable?
??

There is a blue line stop at Belmont and Kimball, but it's the Belmont stop, not the California stop. The Belmont stop is further northwest of the Loop (about two stops away from California). HOWEVER, if you're commuting during the regular rush hour, it may actually be preferable to get on the train at Belmont before the Logan Sq/Bucktown/Wicker Park crowd gets on. I used to live near California and North Ave and would take the bus to Damen and getting on the train during rush hour was always hit or miss.

ETA: On the plus side, the Kimball bus runs pretty late and is much better than the Armitage bus (it can be a bit worse than the North Ave bus at times).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago