Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2016, 12:51 PM

796 posts, read 929,925 times

Advertisements

My mom mentioned this article to me last week, so I was able to pull it up off the internet using my chicago public library info to access the magazine for free. That being said, two of the top 10 elementary schools are less than a mile from me. My youngest is going from private school to public school for the first time (she starts 1st grade), and she was accepted to one on this list, which I'm happy about. when I was a kid, I went to skinner west for my first three years using my grandad's address. then we moved to oak park and went to school out there going foward.

Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2016, 12:53 PM

this same article also ranks the best high schools and grammar schools in lake, kane, dupage and will county as well. I just didn't post it since this is the chicago forum.

Old 08-29-2016, 03:15 PM

5,516 posts, read 8,762,507 times
Eleven of those 15 schools are selective, which I presume means entry is by some type of examination, interview, minimum GPA, or other metric. So they end up as top schools not because they're that good, but because they pick top students to start out with. Under those circumstances most any school will be top in its district. The truly top schools, IMO, are the ones that take a broad range of students and elevate everybody, and those are few and far between--especially in big city districts like Chicago, New York, LA, etc.

Nevertheless, congratulations on your kid gaining entry. Finding a strong, high-performing public school in Chicago, and getting admitted into it, is no easy task. Im sure you're nothing but proud. And you ought to be.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Eleven of those 15 schools are selective, which I presume means entry is by some type of examination, interview, minimum GPA, or other metric. So they end up as top schools not because they're that good, but because they pick top students to start out with. Under those circumstances most any school will be top in its district. The truly top schools, IMO, are the ones that take a broad range of students and elevate everybody, and those are few and far between--especially in big city districts like Chicago, New York, LA, etc.

Nevertheless, congratulations on your kid gaining entry. Finding a strong, high-performing public school in Chicago, and getting admitted into it, is no easy task. Im sure you're nothing but proud. And you ought to be.
especially when that school is in the neighborhood and only a 2 minutes away.

I wasn't clear on how the charter schools stack up to the regular CPS schools.

the way the process here works is you take a test for both the regular schools and one for the classical schools. and then they mail you out a letter for which schools you get accepted to as well as your test scores.

my older daughter is actually smarter than the 1st grader, but she's in private school and my wife didn't seem too keen on sending her to the northside via train for 8th grade and wanted to let her finish out this last year of private school and she will DEFINITELY be in public school next year. since she was accepted to a number of schools via testing this year, I believe she will be able to get into a selective enrollment high school as well. that's the plan at least. my younger daughter only did kindergarten at private school, so she was OK with switching her school, since she will be at her new school for the next 8 years.

Old 08-30-2016, 08:35 AM

306 posts, read 364,956 times
Wow. Can't believe Whitney Young has fallen to third over the years.

Old 08-30-2016, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsboost View Post
Wow. Can't believe Whitney Young has fallen to third over the years.
I have a friend who said that his daughter applied to every selective enrollment high school, and the only one she didn't get into was northside prep. so she got into all the other ones.

what suprises me most is jones college prep isn't on the list at all. and that's a selective enrollment school.

Old 08-30-2016, 05:53 PM

1,343 posts, read 1,370,556 times
Isn't that Jones at #4 -- William Jones College Prep?

Old 08-31-2016, 12:25 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Interesting post from the (now former) principal at Blaine Elementary -- https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2016...missal-process

Troy has been very vocal about the reasons that being a principal in CPS is a losing proposition
Quote:
... If they do pass a budget, we have a [state] funding formula that is inadequate. If they correct the funding formula, you have a district that’s proven that it will spend money recklessly and wastefully... All three of those things have at some level or another created a degree of uncertainty and frustration among principals."
-- Dozens of principals quitting CPS, even from “plum schools” | Catalyst Chicago

Old 09-02-2016, 11:54 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,462,110 times
If you live within the boundaries of the school, your child gets to attend whether they test or not. I'm sure your kid is intelligent, but he or she wasn't going to be denied admission.

Old 09-03-2016, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
If you live within the boundaries of the school, your child gets to attend whether they test or not. I'm sure your kid is intelligent, but he or she wasn't going to be denied admission.
actually mcdade is block from me to the south and the closest school to my house on the list, but my kid cannot go there since that is a selective enrollment school only and she wasn't offered a position there. there's also another school across the street from me, that she's not going to attend either. my kid is of average intelligence I would say. she's only in the 1st grade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago