Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 07:16 PM

527 posts, read 1,245,000 times

Advertisements

Boo Twinkie fat jackets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
From a different perspective in Minnesota. Saw a game on a whim in Wrigley in 2007 against the Astros. Bought eTickets out front, a little $teep but wanted the experience and while the Terrace OF Reserved were slightly obstructed really enjoyed the atmosphere and whetted the appetite for more.
Tried today for the Twins in June and the Friday game was all that was available. They let me out of the waiting room around 3:30 pm. Didn't want anything less than Upper Deck Box. Appropriately enough the seats (UDB) were the last section down the right field line and 10 rows up. Wasn't quite satisfied enough because I figured as we sat up there I would have wished I had something better so I let them go. Knew I could have likely taken them and turned them over and made a profit but didn't want the hassle.
Wondering how many single game seats are left in reserve each season? I'll likely still go, just have to pay a higher price for some better seats. Good luck Cub fans (boo White SUX, hisssss...A.J.). I think this year will be your year!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 07:21 PM

527 posts, read 1,245,000 times
Default boo

(aka TWINS)

Old 02-20-2009, 07:37 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basekamp View Post
Boo Twinkie fat jackets!
eek!

Old 02-20-2009, 08:12 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Can you recommend any hotels close to the park that are decent?

I might take a trip there this year to see a game.
You have all the standard hotels downtown, and you can walk from downtown to the stadium in about 15 minutes. In fact on game nights they turn the 6th Street bridge from downtown to the North Shore area (where the stadium is, and only in Pittsburgh do they consider a riverfront to be a "shore") into a giant pedestrian bridge.

Apparently there is a Marriott hotel right next to the stadium at 223 Federal Street.

Last edited by Drover; 02-20-2009 at 08:20 PM..

Old 02-20-2009, 08:23 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
You have all the standard hotels downtown, and you can walk from downtown to the stadium in about 15 minutes...
Ok thanks. I have never been to Pittsburgh.

Any bars I can go to close to the park?

I am sure the ones you like I probably would.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:38 PM

It's been a couple years since I've been to a game at PNC and I know that the area has been building up a lot. But last time I was there, the area around the stadium didn't really have much of a nightlife. Plus, the near north side of Pittsburgh is about where Old Town was in the early 1990s: a fair amount of money and some really cool housing just a couple blocks away from some really serious crap, and if you're not careful you can wander from one into the other without knowing how you got there. So it's not an area I'd recommend exploring if you're new to Pittsburgh.

As I mentioned up-thread, the Carson Street strip is the quintessential nightlife district in Pittsburgh, and I think it would be right up your alley. I'm probably more of a beer snob than you, and so my favorite places on Carson are Fat Head's and Smokin' Joe's. That said, they are the kind of places even non-beer-snobs can enjoy: IMO Fat Head's almost competes with Kuma's Corner for creative burger offerings, and Smokin' Joe's has a dedicated whiskey bar upstairs, though whether the whiskey bar is open or closed seems to be completely random. These places can get pretty packed on weekend evenings; go on a weeknight if you want some elbow room.

The Carson strip is only a couple miles from the stadium but unfortunately it may not be too easy to get to. Public transportation isn't quite as comprehensive in Pittsburgh, and they don't have cabs wandering the streets looking for fares either, though they may have some hanging around the stadium after the game. If not, you have to call one.

Last edited by Drover; 02-20-2009 at 09:13 PM..

Old 03-12-2009, 04:05 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,831,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UICJohn View Post
St. Louis - I went for a bachelor party last year. The stadium was also very cool. Sat in left field bleachers, about 10 rows from the fence, and tickets were like $25. I like that price! Cubs fans which was cool. But did not really enjoy everything and didn't know a good amount about the area until I went to see the Bears there this year. Stayed at the Hyatt right by the Arch. Great view. I woke up and took a run and saw everything within a 25 minute jog - the arch, both stadiums, the capitol. It was cool because the stadium and the bar area and everything were all a short walking distance.
I know this post is almost a month old. Just wanted to say that that's the Courthouse, not the Capital. St. Louis is not the capital of Missouri, Jefferson City is. But the Courthouse is neat to visit. It's beautiful inside and last time I was there they had a Dred Scott display up in one of the courtrooms.

Sorry if I'm nitpicking.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:47 PM

You know, I'd always wondered what that building was. I had speculated that maybe STL was the capital once upon a time and it was changed to Jefferson City later or something.

Old 03-13-2009, 12:15 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,831,224 times
Nope. That's the St. Louis courthouse. You should visit next time you're down, especially if you're a history buff. It's beautifully painted inside, and I believe there are displays in some of the courtrooms. It's not a day-long attraction, but if you have an extra hour or two while you're in St. Louis, it's worth the trip.

This is what the inside looks like
1402 Old Courthouse St Louis Missouri on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/woolbright/2284809890/ - broken link)
Old Courthouse, St Louis [12x] on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Quote:
The Old Courthouse, part of the Jefferson National Expansion Memorial Park, is open to the public daily from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and closed Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's Day. Admission is free.

http://www.slfp.com/OldCourthouse.html

Old 03-13-2009, 07:59 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
Actually St. Charles, MO was the first capitol before it moved to Jeff City. St. Charles, now considered a suburb, is actually as old as St. Louis and most notably was the starting off point for the Lewis and Clark expedition. They do tours of the first capitol building (First Missouri State Capitol State Historic Site - Missouri State Parks and Historic Sites, MoDNR) which are moderately interesting to history buffs, but the real draw to Main Street is that it's the 2nd largest historical district in the country.

Quote:
St. Charles is home to the largest historic district west of the Mississippi River, and second largest in the country. Main Street is the heart of the district featuring rows of old shops displaying everything from quilts and antiques to crafts and wine from local wineries. In all, 88 buildings have been restored in the district and cover the time period from 1750 to 1949. French colonial architecture, some of the best preserved in North America can be found here. The initial district between the Missouri River and Madison, Chauncey and Second streets covered 470 acres and included 63 buildings. An additional 31 acres with 13 buildings later became part of the district with Greek revival, late Victorian, and late 19th and 20th century revival architectural styles.
St. Charles, Missouri, Showcases The Second Largest Historic District in the U.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago