Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 11:19 PM

201 posts, read 278,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Careless View Post
huge difference between white Chicagoans (mostly immigrants, wealthy older people, and fresh out of college people) and white Chicago metro people. White Chicagoans are wayyyyy to the left. Lincoln Park is one of the top 5 zip codes donating to the Democrats, and you certainly won't see any donating to Republicans on that list. The immigrant faction is somewhat religious. Never known a native born religious Chicagoan.

But out of the city, you get all kinds. Less immigrants, less wealthy outside of the North Shore, more religious, more Republican. Not very WASPy outside of some pockets, including the North Shore (although Winnetka and, I think, Wilmette, are going Catholic)
I am very surprised you have never known a native born religious Chicagoan. I certainly agree with your general assessment of outside the city, but it sounds like you are leaving out large parts of Chicago when you describe actual Chicagoans. Beverly/Mount Greenwood and the Northwest side are both full of (mostly white, mostly Catholic) families, many of them devout. I know this is a thread about WHITE Chicago, but most black communities are quite religious. The north side as a whole is full of families, despite tons of people on this thread warning everyone to move to Evanston/Oak Park when they have kids. Try driving through west Lincoln Park or North Center around school getting out and there are moms in SUVs clogging the streets.

I agree with you completely that Chicago skews heavily left, no doubt about that. But there are alot more than (white) immigrants, rich old people, and college grads living in the city limits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2016, 11:36 PM

313 posts, read 596,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark&Addison View Post
I am very surprised you have never known a native born religious Chicagoan. I certainly agree with your general assessment of outside the city, but it sounds like you are leaving out large parts of Chicago when you describe actual Chicagoans. Beverly/Mount Greenwood and the Northwest side are both full of (mostly white, mostly Catholic) families, many of them devout. I know this is a thread about WHITE Chicago, but most black communities are quite religious. The north side as a whole is full of families, despite tons of people on this thread warning everyone to move to Evanston/Oak Park when they have kids. Try driving through west Lincoln Park or North Center around school getting out and there are moms in SUVs clogging the streets.

I agree with you completely that Chicago skews heavily left, no doubt about that. But there are alot more than (white) immigrants, rich old people, and college grads living in the city limits.
Thinks "alot" is a word. /facepalm

Old 10-05-2016, 07:25 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,104,365 times
Quote:
White Chicagoans are wayyyyy to the left.
This statement just causes confusion between Democrat vs. Republican, and, liberal vs. conservative vs. libertarian.

And saying whether they are Democrat or Republican just causes confusion on the city, county, state, and federal level. Some can be Democrat locally and Republican federally.

I generally categorize non-hipster Whites, (city and suburbs), into 2 types: the type that likes to wear baseball caps and get drunk at Wrigleyville, versus the upper class, wearing a suit/tie rich type (lawyers and other professionals).

Oh and there's a 3rd type, hipsters.

Old 10-05-2016, 07:28 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,056,202 times
Quote:
huge difference between white Chicagoans (mostly immigrants, wealthy older people, and fresh out of college people) and white Chicago metro people. White Chicagoans are wayyyyy to the left. Lincoln Park is one of the top 5 zip codes donating to the Democrats, and you certainly won't see any donating to Republicans on that list. The immigrant faction is somewhat religious. Never known a native born religious Chicagoan.

But out of the city, you get all kinds. Less immigrants, less wealthy outside of the North Shore, more religious, more Republican. Not very WASPy outside of some pockets, including the North Shore (although Winnetka and, I think, Wilmette, are going Catholic)
The South Side Irish are devoutly Catholic.

But anything similar to the South where you have WASPy types? No. Not even close. Not even really in the metro. Good luck finding that anywhere in the city. The White Chicago Catholics are almost always Democrats, too.

Sure there are exceptions but never enough to skew the city to the right enough. Chicago is the 3rd largest city in the country so don't expect a large amount of Republicans. Republicans tend to despise cities and view them as hotbeds of urban decay and high crime due to heavy gun regulation (you know because it's working sooooooo horribly for New York).

Old 10-05-2016, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Beverly/Mount Greenwood and the Northwest side are both full of (mostly white, mostly Catholic) families, many of them devout.
For everyone that wants to blah blah blah about Beverly, Mt. Greenwood, and Morgan Park.

Keep in mind, those are a small part of a very large White suburbs starting there and going southwest (like Oak Lawn, Merrionette Park, and such). Beverly, Mt. Greenwood, and Morgan Park are just a small % of the White area that are just finally into the city limits. And 1 can argue that the White people that live there, live there because of the city residency requirements for being a police and fireman, otherwise, they wouldn't be living there.

I'd categorize them into suburb people really, since it doesn't seem they travel inner-city much.

Old 10-05-2016, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealIRC View Post
This statement just causes confusion between Democrat vs. Republican, and, liberal vs. conservative vs. libertarian.

And saying whether they are Democrat or Republican just causes confusion on the city, county, state, and federal level. Some can be Democrat locally and Republican federally.

I generally categorize non-hipster Whites, (city and suburbs), into 2 types: the type that likes to wear baseball caps and get drunk at Wrigleyville, versus the upper class, wearing a suit/tie rich type (lawyers and other professionals).

Oh and there's a 3rd type, hipsters.
What would you place the Irish from the SW side rib category wise? They don't fit any of those...

Old 10-05-2016, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealIRC View Post
For everyone that wants to blah blah blah about Beverly, Mt. Greenwood, and Morgan Park.

Keep in mind, those are a small part of a very large White suburbs starting there and going southwest (like Oak Lawn, Merrionette Park, and such). Beverly, Mt. Greenwood, and Morgan Park are just a small % of the White area that are just finally into the city limits. And 1 can argue that the White people that live there, live there because of the city residency requirements for being a police and fireman, otherwise, they wouldn't be living there.

I'd categorize them into suburb people really, since it doesn't seem they travel inner-city much.
Wouldn't you say the same about Clearing, Garfield Ridge, Hegewisch, East Side, Rogers Park, Edgebrook, and Forest Glen? Are we really going to disqualify them simply because you don't think they fit into your category? Why do they count more as suburban? If anything, the suburbs that border the city are more city influenced than the city is suburb influenced.

And most Chicagoans tend to stay within their own neighborhood anyway. It is suburbanites who venture to the city's various neighborhoods more often than city residents. Are they now more representative of the city?

Old 10-05-2016, 08:05 AM

201 posts, read 278,346 times
Quote:
Thinks "alot" is a word. /facepalm
Thinks "Chicago" is the Loop, Lincoln Park, and Lakeview. /facepalm

Old 10-05-2016, 08:12 AM

I should add that if Neal thinks Beverly, Mt. Greenwood, and other suburb bordering neighborhood types aren't representative of the city, does he think that the heavily transplanted areas of the inner ring around the loop are? Because the South Side Irish have generations of presence in Chicago. Can't say the same for most people that live in the trendy neighborhoods. If anything, people from these "suburban" neighborhoods are more representative of Chicago than those Lincoln Park or Lakeview types ever will be.

Mt. Greenwood is more culturally Chicago than most of the North Side.

Old 10-05-2016, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Thinks "Chicago" is the Loop, Lincoln Park, and Lakeview. /facepalm
But that's my interpretation of what the original poster is asking regarding "White people" in Chicago - Lincoln Park, Lakeview, and Wicker Park. And downtown.

But I guess even White people are split between North side and South side. How many people attend both Cubs and Sox games?

I suspect the people in Beverly/Mt. Greenwood/Morgan Park probably have attended Sox games. But where do they go to beaches? 31st street beach?

In fact, I would generalize most White people in the South side are natives or close enough to it, compared to Whites in the North side that are all mostly transplants, the exception being the far northwest side where you have Polish and other Eastern Europeans, near the HIP mall.

Bridgeport and Canaryville have a lot of native Whites. In fact, Bridgeport you can find White blonde women with a king's crown tattoo on their bod (from 33rd and Morgan).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago