Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chicago is more like...
Philly, NYC, and Boston 139 76.37%
Indianapolis, Columbus, and Kansas City 43 23.63%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 02:14 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,583,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I'm from Manhattan. It reminds me of NYC. When my NY friends came out to visit, they remarked on how similar they thought the cities were.

I guess this looks just like Minneapolis and Milwaukee (although I admit Milwaukee is very similar to Chicago)

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9201...8i6656!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9187...8i6656!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9151...8i6656!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.com/maps/place/19...f1b215!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.com/maps/place/20...2531df!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.com/maps/place/19...57d12b!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9211...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Although similarities don't end at built form. Much like the big east coast, almost every Chicago neighborhood has its own commercial strip. That's not necessarily true of Midwestern cities.
I'm a Oklahoma to California transplant , and would say that Chicago fit in with Detroit , St. Louis ,
Minn/St. Paul , Cleveland (O) (H) Ten , MILWAUKEE...much more than NYC.

When you go into NYC like sections in CHI-TOWN there's just isn't enough people on the streets
to say that this is a dead ringer for NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2016, 02:47 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,057,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
I'm a Oklahoma to California transplant , and would say that Chicago fit in with Detroit , St. Louis ,
Minn/St. Paul , Cleveland (O) (H) Ten , MILWAUKEE...much more than NYC.

When you go into NYC like sections in CHI-TOWN there's just isn't enough people on the streets
to say that this is a dead ringer for NYC.
Yes. We all know that Chicago is just a big brother of the Great Lakes/Rust Belt cities. But those are deliberately left off because that answer is too easy.

Old 11-03-2016, 02:49 PM

Quote:
If I was going to compare Chicago Ill. to other Midwestern Cities They Would Be Detroit....Minn/St. Paul... Milwaukee....St. Louis especially , and not the cities listed. The Poll was sort of " Rigged For The NE Cities " to win.
Why

Old 11-03-2016, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008
If I was going to compare Chicago Ill. to other Midwestern Cities They Would Be Detroit....Minn/St. Paul... Milwaukee....St. Louis especially , and not the cities listed. The Poll was sort of " Rigged For The NE Cities " to win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Why

Just got back from lunch............

The cities that you used from the Midwest were never really top notch World Class Cities " like I used ".

1. Columbus (O)(H) Ten come on now eddie ole school give me a break , everyone is going to say that
there's no connection whatsoever in the two cities of CHICAGO and COLUMBUS.

You don't think that Chicago isn't like St. Louis which was once upon a time one of the greatest cities
in the world.....

Detroit MI was once one of the greatest cities in the World.....

Minn/St. Paul is ranked a whole lot higher than any of the cities that you used.....

MILWAUKEE is a close family member to CHICAGO ILL.

Old 11-03-2016, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Quote:

The cities that you used from the Midwest were never really top notch World Class Cities " like I used ".

1. Columbus (O)(H) Ten come on now eddie ole school give me a break , everyone is going to say that

You don't think that Chicago isn't like St. Louis which was once upon a time one of the greatest cities
in the world.....

Minn/St. Paul is ranked a whole lot higher than any of the cities that you used.....

Just going by size man. Not influence. That's it. Size of city not metro.

Old 11-03-2016, 09:16 PM

93 posts, read 96,434 times
Quote:
Quote:

in the world.....

Chicago is the Major city of the US Midwest. But that's not all. It is still a MAJOR American cities in the Big League and level of GLOBAL IMPORTANCE in the World also. Despite you seeing it merely comparable to smaller Midwest cites ONLY.

I'm re-posting this list of 2016 study out of Globally significant major cities of the World. Also in Future Outlook. *Note Chicago remained at its current level globally and ROSE 6 PLACINGS IN FUTURE OUTLOOK.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post
A total of 125 Global Cities across the planet were evaluated for this years A.T. Kearney Global Cities report, the largest pool ever. However, only these cities listed below made the cut on their shortlist.

Global Cities Index, 2016:
02. New York
06. Los Angeles
07. Chicago
10. Washington D.C.
17. Toronto
23. San Francisco
24. Boston

Global Cities Outlook, 2016:
01. San Francisco
02. New York
03. Boston
05. Houston
06. Atlanta
11. Chicago
18. Toronto
20. Dallas
21. Los Angeles
25. Vancouver

Global Elite Cities, 2016:
- New York
- Los Angeles
- Chicago
- Toronto
- San Francisco
- Boston

The factors they inducted into their research were Business Activity (30%), Human Capital (30%), Information Exchange (15%), Cultural Experience (15%), and Political Engagement (10%).

In the world, of the 5 factors listed in the sentence directly above; New York is the #1 city on Earth for both Business Activity and Human Capital. While Washington D.C. is the #1 city on Earth for Political Engagement.

Further breakdowns of criteria within each of the 5 main factors are as below;

- Business Activity: Global Service Firms, Fortune 500s, Capital Markets, Air Freights, Sea Freights, ICCA Conferences/Global Conferences.

- Human Capital: Foreign Born Population, Top Universities, Population with tertiary degrees, International Student Population, and Number of International and Global Schools.

- Information Exchange: Access to media and news, News Agency Bureaus, Broadband Subscribers with Global Media Outlets, Freedom of Expression, and Online Presence.

- Cultural Experience: Museums, Visual and Performing Arts, Sporting Events, International Travelers, Culinary Offerings, and Sister Cities Impact and/or Connection.

- Political Engagement: Embassies and Consulates, Think-tanks, International Organizations, Political Conferences, and Local Institutions with Global Reach.

Among these sub-categories, some American cities finished in the top of the world in select categories. They are as follows; New York is the Earth's #1 city in Capital Markets, Foreign-Born Population, Visual and Performing Arts, Culinary Offerings, and Local Institutions with Global Reach. Two other American cities also led in these sub-categories; Boston with "Top Universities" in the world, and Washington D.C. with "Think-tanks."

For cities that are rated in the "Global Cities Outlook" lists, they also had specific criteria to go along with the aforementioned factors and criteria detailed in the sentences above this line. Mexico City, which was not ranked on any of the 3 shortlists (Global Cities Index, Global Cities Outlook, and Global Elite Cities) was evaluated along with 125 of the world's cities, and then through the process of elimination only the top 25 in each category remained to represent the world's best. Getting back to the point with Mexico City, while it did not crack any of the top lists, through evaluation it was determined that Mexico City led or co-led all cities analyzed at the following categories (globally speaking of course); University Sponsored Incubators. Other cities in North America that were #1 in the world in additional factors for "Global Cities Outlook" were San Francisco (Private Investments and University Sponsored Incubators; New York (Private Investment), and Houston (Patents Per Capita).

Old 11-05-2016, 04:20 PM

Default Other Global Cities Ranking

1. The World

2. https://www.atkearney.com/research-s...l-cities-index

3. St. Louis and Detroit were highly ranked World Wide in the time period of 1930 - 1970's......

4. Minneapolis St. Paul is a lower ranked World Class City Today..........

Old 11-11-2016, 10:16 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Generally more in line with the 3 east coast cities due to size, importance, density and urbanity. Maybe if it were more the three largest midwestern metropolitan areas of Detroit, Twin Cities, and St. Louis (or Cleveland), then it'd tilt a bit more towards those, but probably still the three big Northeastern cities.

Old 11-12-2016, 03:16 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,317,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Generally more in line with the 3 east coast cities due to size, importance, density and urbanity. Maybe if it were more the three largest midwestern metropolitan areas of Detroit, Twin Cities, and St. Louis (or Cleveland), then it'd tilt a bit more towards those, but probably still the three big Northeastern cities.
Someone (I think it was Drover) posted quite awhile back something to the effect of "If NYC and Detroit got together and had a kid, the result would be Chicago."

IMO you could substitute "Cleveland" for "Detroit" in the above statement and it would be equally true... if not more so.

Old 11-19-2016, 06:33 PM

410 posts, read 491,869 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_U3uuoKrZwY

Buzzfeed taste test of LA, Chicago and NYC hot dog.

And lol at all the trolls that this thread brought out of the woodwork.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago