U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chicago is more like...
Philly, NYC, and Boston 139 76.37%
Indianapolis, Columbus, and Kansas City 43 23.63%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2022, 01:26 PM

212 posts, read 142,780 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, listen, I just want to revive this thread to say how much I enjoy these old discussions. The harsh attitudes and taking things really personally combined with all these geeky facts and comparisons was so entertaining, reminding me of why I started reading this forum so much so many years ago. It’s so entertaining and totally educational

Did this discussion reach a conclusion with the last post or is there still room for more lively debate ? Because I don’t remember anyone mentioning Miami, and I think the coastal orientation they share make them the most similar in addition to their elevated trains. When all the highest buildings line a coast for miles before a dramatic drop in density going inland, that is a certain type of city and they are really most similar to each other, like Rio or Gold Coast, Australia. I think Chicago is the biggest one of those

If Chicago is a deep dish pizza, I think the crust is Miami, the cheeses are Kansas City and Detroit, and the sauce is a thick, sweet NYC with a nasty set of vegetable toppings for St. Louis
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2022, 11:00 PM

11,129 posts, read 7,425,546 times
Top 3 but you could've chosen better midwest cities imo

Old 04-16-2022, 08:59 PM

Maybe that’s true, Gaylord_Focker. I was thinking Kansas City because of the massive amount of large vintage apartment buildings that look just like the ones in Chicago. Lots of them probably used to be hotels, like in Chi. Smaller residential architecture too often looks really similar. And they both have a very impressive Union Station. But KCMO is far too hilly. Milwaukee would’ve been a better choice

Old 04-16-2022, 10:34 PM

4,100 posts, read 2,319,706 times
DannFrankenstein, two things:

1). That's RIGHT!!.... You mention my city of Milwaukee!!

2.) I watched Young Frankenstein tonight... in Spanish dub.

Old 04-17-2022, 02:28 PM

2,471 posts, read 3,340,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Top 3 but you could've chosen better midwest cities imo
This.

Detroit, Minneapolis and Cleveland (or Milwaukee). You compare to those three quintessential Midwest cities and I vote Midwest. Indy and Columbus are *nothing* like Chicago and an extremely pale comparison.

Old 04-18-2022, 08:09 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,357,177 times
In 1980, Detroit was the 6th largest city in America, and still 7th in 1990 (now fallen to 27th!). But the bones are still there to make a large city and definitely should be one of the 3.

Milwaukee is clearly the most sensical comparison - same coastline/layout and only about 100 miles away.

The 3rd one is tougher. MPLS isn't a bad choice. Cleveland either, since it's on a body of water. Even though both are much smaller in population.

Old 04-18-2022, 09:47 AM

St. Louis spreads West like Chicago, with downtown being on its Eastern edge
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago