Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 09:30 AM

3,447 posts, read 3,376,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmosBanks View Post
The KFC on Ashland by the UC is closed for remodeling. It's been closed for longer than it should take to remodel. I really like KFC, but they source the smallest chickens I've ever seen. Think about the size of a drumstick on a grocery store Tyson's fryer and it almost looks like a turkey leg compared to KFC. As long as I can get a 2-piece for $1.99 at Church's on Tuesday then KFC will just be for family gatherings.

BTW, here is the Harold's Chicken Lincoln:
Is that building with Harold's still there anymore? Just trying to remember if that was the site where the parking lot for the 55th Ave. Green Line station was built, or not. I've occasionally gone by there a few times, that's why I'm curious....

I have a sneaky suspicion that this pictured building was probably torn down, but I'd love to be proven wrong here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 09:45 AM

3,447 posts, read 3,376,258 times
Default re: El Pollo Loco

I can indeed confirm that the Harlem Ave. location in Summit is the last operational local location, since I did a recent search on their own website about a week ago where remaining locations were(and after Drover posted about EPL Chicagoland locations suddenly disappearing on a different thread). I was saddened to hear about the Wilson/Sheridan loction closing, since I only made it there once, and was hoping to return to try more of their food. But of course, I never did....

I do infrequently travel to the area around Garfield Ridge and Summit, and plus a friend of mine once lived in Summit. If EPL is somehow still in business the next time I'm in that area, I'll give it another try. I thought it was really decent for fast food, the one time I ever went to their Uptown location. Le sigh!

Old 10-13-2010, 11:21 AM

289 posts, read 897,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
Is that building with Harold's still there anymore? Just trying to remember if that was the site where the parking lot for the 55th Ave. Green Line station was built, or not. I've occasionally gone by there a few times, that's why I'm curious....

I have a sneaky suspicion that this pictured building was probably torn down, but I'd love to be proven wrong here.
This is the S side of Garfield. It's just W of the Green Line, across the street from the parking lot and the Garfield Green Line entrance. A great place to get a quick meal while waiting for the bus to Hyde Park!

Old 10-13-2010, 03:09 PM

157 posts, read 363,347 times
There is only 1 Taco Bell (union station) ZERO Schlotzkey's (sp) and my biggest upset when i moved to Chi.........SONIC!!!! I MISS MY CRUSHED ICE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
I have noticed a number of Kentucky Fried Chicken franchises that have gone out in the City:

Kostner and North
Armitage and Kimball
California and Division
Milwaukee and Diversey?

Still in business, but struggling:
Fullerton and Kilpatrick
Cicero and Addison
Cicero and Cermak

What is the deal? Is it a poor franchise operation or trend away from KFC, like I think we are seeing with Pizza Hut and Taco Bell, all of which are now owned by YUM Brands after being sold from Pepsi's Trimark group.

Or is it changing ethnic mixes in these neighborhoods that is driving this? I am curious to hear your opinions. Popeye's and and particularly Church's (black owned) tend to do well in black neighborhoods. I am not sure if there are fried chicken franchises that do well in Hispanic neighborhoods, though everyone, regardless of ethnic heritage seems to eat chicken (except those who do not eat meat because of religious or personal preference).

Clearly, I have spent too much money at KFC.

Old 10-13-2010, 03:22 PM

c'mon, play nice. I am a native Houstonian that moved to Chicago almost 2 years ago. Both have good and bad. But, just as I shouldn't judge y'all for certain physical traits/STEREOTYPES, it's not nice for you to put a label on my for Jesse's silly remarks.

hmmmm???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
3. ...and schizophrenic crossdressers.

Old 10-13-2010, 03:23 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,198,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontcallmeshirley View Post
There is only 1 Taco Bell (union station) ZERO Schlotzkey's (sp) and my biggest upset when i moved to Chi.........SONIC!!!! I MISS MY CRUSHED ICE!
Theres a Sonic on Grand and Mannheim

Old 10-13-2010, 04:47 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
There is only 1 Taco Bell (union station)...
So not true. Off the top of my head I can think of: on Addison near Wrigley Field, on Harlem near Addison,on Clybourn near Wrightwood... I know there are several more...

You really need to travel outside of downtown once in a while.

Old 10-13-2010, 04:52 PM

I do travcel outside downtown, but I am not 21, so I don't go to Wrigley (that often) unless it's a baseball game. I don;t have a car and since I still am getting familiar with the city I googlemap places, and mostly get familiar with places close to 60601

I am sure you can understand being new to somewhere without a vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
So not true. Off the top of my head I can think of: on Addison near Wrigley Field, on Harlem near Addison,on Clybourn near Wrightwood... I know there are several more...

You really need to travel outside of downtown once in a while.

Old 10-13-2010, 04:55 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
I do travcel outside downtown, but I am not 21, so I don't go to Wrigley (that often) unless it's a baseball game. I don;t have a car and since I still am getting familiar with the city I googlemap places, and mostly get familiar with places close to 60601

I am sure you can understand being new to somewhere without a vehicle.
I have not owned a vehicle in ten years. So I know all about what it is like. Although I have a great advantage knowing how to get around since I have taken the CTA since I was a kid.

I was being sarcastic when I said get out of downtown. I was not ripping on you really.

Old 10-13-2010, 05:31 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
There are a handful of Sonics out in the 'burbs, and I don't know what gave you the idea there's only one Taco Bell here. They're all over town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago