Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2008, 05:50 AM

1,915 posts, read 7,975,582 times

Advertisements

Just for the record, a lot of the ones in NYC have been closing too. That's all fine and good with me because I'm not really a big fan of KFC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 09:08 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,374,380 times
Because mom and pop chicken joints chicken taste like real chicken, Thank God for Harold's

Old 09-19-2008, 09:12 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,857,895 times
Default Noid

I just noticed you lived in North Austin. The Subway at Austin and North Avenue cracks me up, with bullet proof windows separating the customers from the workers. I hope you don't live near there.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
I just noticed you lived in North Austin. The Subway at Austin and North Avenue cracks me up, with bullet proof windows separating the customers from the workers. I hope you don't live near there.
Yeah I noticed the bullet proof glass about a year ago when I went to that Subway. I've been around this area for a few years now (Bloomingdale & Long), and I must say it's an interesting area. I've never been bothered, but I really don't have reason to hang out in the neighborhood either. My block (1700 N. Long) is pretty quite for the most part, but the other blocks need a lot of cleaning up. Just north of Bloomingdale between Central & Laramie they built a theater and sub-division, so perhaps better things are to come.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:22 AM

Default New Theater

That is a nice theater, though it is full of thugs and gangster wannabees. I have been there several times, though the security guards with guns is a bit hilarious.

I don't think I could make it in the 1700 N block of Long (5200W?). That is the worst Wendy's just west of Cicero I have ever been to, slow and full of ghetto people who actually ask me for money as I wait in line next to them. I can only imagine the level of people that go into the Burger King across the street, a place I have driven by daily but never gone into. I go to Walmart at Kilpatrick (4700W) all the time, and know the area fairly well. I am not a fan.

I am sure you have cheap rent, but why are you living there, especially when you hang out in other areas?

Old 09-19-2008, 10:58 AM

Quote:
That is a nice theater, though it is full of thugs and gangster wannabees. I have been there several times, though the security guards with guns is a bit hilarious.

I don't think I could make it in the 1700 N block of Long (5200W?). That is the worst Wendy's just west of Cicero I have ever been to, slow and full of ghetto people who actually ask me for money as I wait in line next to them. I can only imagine the level of people that go into the Burger King across the street, a place I have driven by daily but never gone into. I go to Walmart at Kilpatrick (4700W) all the time, and know the area fairly well. I am not a fan.

I am sure you have cheap rent, but why are you living there, especially when you hang out in other areas?

I live in our family owned building- I basically keep watch over the building while I'm there and make sure things stay clean and groomed. My family owns another 2flat in the Austin area on Mayfield just south of Madison that I watch over aswell. The reason that I live in the area is because it's closer to my job and school than Broadview, IL where I moved from. I agree the area is in need of some serious help, but I think there are some worse areas than this one. In fact I think West Humboldt Park (south of Grand) is probably is in worse shape than the North Austin neighborhood. Both areas suffers from a lot of blight, but I think even more so West Humboldt Park because of the lack jobs in the community.

As far as me hanging out in the area other than paying basketball at La Follette Park - that's a no no. The bar/club up the street(Carolyn's) frequently is host to shootings and murders

Old 09-19-2008, 10:58 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,019,651 times
you forgot about the location in the thompson center...but it is a limited menu.

Old 09-19-2008, 11:14 AM

Default West Humboldt Park vs. North Austin

I agree that West Humboldt Park south of grand is worse than North Austin. North of grand is slightly better, particularly east of Pulaski. West of Narragansett (6400W) is pretty livable in North Austin. Most folks call this Galewood. Your 2-flat at madison and Mayfield must have some interesting stuff going on. You are much better off living north of north avenue in your area, though there are certainly some challenges.

Old 09-19-2008, 11:31 AM

Quote:
I agree that West Humboldt Park south of grand is worse than North Austin. North of grand is slightly better, particularly east of Pulaski. West of Narragansett (6400W) is pretty livable in North Austin. Most folks call this Galewood. Your 2-flat at madison and Mayfield must have some interesting stuff going on. You are much better off living north of north avenue in your area, though there are certainly some challenges.
Actually that block is pretty decent- a lot of elderly black building owners on the first two blocks that border Austin (Mayfield-Mason). The culdesacs on the north end of the block helps keep unwanted riff-raff from entering and speeding through the block- most going to Columbus Park. Also the neighborhood has a newly built police station (2yrs old ) on Madison & Waller which helped push most of the crime north of Washington and east Central. Galewood on the other hand is as you stated it 'pretty livable'- I'd live there anyday of the week.

Old 09-19-2008, 12:06 PM

968 posts, read 2,659,341 times
as I recall, and it's been a few years since Fried Chicken left the menu ( doctors orders, 1 stent...rats !!) the pecking order ( on the south side ) was :

1.) Harolds !!! But, quality varies from store to store. The ones in the Loop stunk, but the original Hyde Park and the one on 71st were great ...
2.) Churchs ... a sleeper ..but had fans ... Not really prevalent in the 'hood ...
3.) Popeyes - The original ones in Chicago were on the south side .. One would sell at a discount at 0200 ... Good stuff back then
4.) Browns - 'White Peoples Chicken' ... I also think there was a rumor believed by some that birth control pills were mixed into the batter distributed to franchises in black neighborhoods ..one of the more bizarre urban legends .
5.) KFC .. there were a few, but only for a change of pace , and only original recipe..Crispy was loathed by all ..

This really belongs over on LTH, where the debate has been going on for years .. But KFC would still need to whip up on Harolds to get a better foothold ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago