Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2016, 01:46 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,165,113 times

Advertisements

Why does it say 'Rob' in the title instead of Rahm?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 02:02 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,169,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaiter View Post
Why does it say 'Rob' in the title instead of Rahm?
OP is clueless and created the thread because he takes pleasure in Chicago (and countless other cities - even in TX) possibly losing out on Federal funding. Some people don't have much else to live for other than taking pleasure in the potential misfortunes of others.

Old 12-01-2016, 07:25 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,986,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
OP is clueless and created the thread because he takes pleasure in Chicago (and countless other cities - even in TX) possibly losing out on Federal funding. Some people don't have much else to live for other than taking pleasure in the potential misfortunes of others.
Thanks for the jab buddy. I lived in Chicago for over 25 years . I grew up on the south side of Chicago as a kid on Rockwell . My whole entire family lives in Chicago . I also have multiple family members on the CPD. I left Chicago because it is in a downward spiral and my life changed for the positive. Something that would have never happened in chicago. I think I am "qualified" enough to post in the Chicago the section of this forum . When you have a mayor of a city more worried about protecting illegals than a violent murder rate of 700+ people . You know that there's something wrong with the city.....

As for the Rahm misspelling . It is because of spell check .

Old 12-01-2016, 10:24 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,480,960 times
I Love Chicago

Old 12-02-2016, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Thanks for the jab buddy. I lived in Chicago for over 25 years . I grew up on the south side of Chicago as a kid on Rockwell . My whole entire family lives in Chicago . I also have multiple family members on the CPD. I left Chicago because it is in a downward spiral and my life changed for the positive. Something that would have never happened in chicago. I think I am "qualified" enough to post in the Chicago the section of this forum . When you have a mayor of a city more worried about protecting illegals than a violent murder rate of 700+ people . You know that there's something wrong with the city.....

I'm glad things are on the up for you

There's no downward spiral, but if thinking that makes you feel better about living in Austin then more power to you. There are MANY cities whose mayors have made statements similar to those made by Rahm. Austin's murder rate is up 80 percent since 2015 whereas Chicago's is up 70 percent. Your neighboring cities of Dallas and Houston have also seen murders skyrocket in 2016. Crime is up BIGLY nationally. You should be more concerned about what's going on where you currently live instead of trying to force this narrative that Chicago is a crime infested wasteland and everywhere else is just peachy. You're wrong and it shows your ignorance on this matter. If you are as connected to CPD as you say you are, you should be well aware of this.

On another note, just because you grew up here doesn't mean you're an expert on all things Chicago. Some posters think they can say what they want and then add "I'm from Chicago" as if that's supposed to mean anything. Facts matter.

Last edited by IrishIllini; 12-02-2016 at 08:06 AM..

Old 12-02-2016, 08:23 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,103,782 times
Quote:
When you have a mayor of a city more worried about protecting illegals than a violent murder rate of 700+ people . You know that there's something wrong with the city.....
I don't get how people can assume priority over something when they see others complain about something.

When it was on the news some years back that Rahm complained about the words "Trump Tower" by the river, a lot of people complained that Rahm has so many other issues to complain about, like crime, than the sign.

Rahm's Wikipedia article says he is part of a synagogue on Broadway, as he is Jewish. I guess every week or every time Rahm goes to a synagogue, he must be losing all other priorities like "fighting crime, extending the CTA Red Line, public school, etc."

So Chicago's homicide peaked 700 this week. This should mean it makes no sense for Rahm to complain about anything else because this is always a present issue.

Quote:
Right. Has nothing to do with your personality.

-

If someone complains about X, and the next day, he complains about Y, can anyone conclude he prioritizes Y over X?

Last edited by NealIRC; 12-02-2016 at 08:32 AM..

Old 12-02-2016, 01:15 PM

Quote:
I'm glad things are on the up for you

There's no downward spiral, but if thinking that makes you feel better about living in Austin then more power to you. There are MANY cities whose mayors have made statements similar to those made by Rahm. Austin's murder rate is up 80 percent since 2015 whereas Chicago's is up 70 percent. Your neighboring cities of Dallas and Houston have also seen murders skyrocket in 2016. Crime is up BIGLY nationally. You should be more concerned about what's going on where you currently live instead of trying to force this narrative that Chicago is a crime infested wasteland and everywhere else is just peachy. You're wrong and it shows your ignorance on this matter. If you are as connected to CPD as you say you are, you should be well aware of this.

On another note, just because you grew up here doesn't mean you're an expert on all things Chicago. Some posters think they can say what they want and then add "I'm from Chicago" as if that's supposed to mean anything. Facts matter.
Chicago's debt rating was slashed two-notches to BBB-minus, which is just one step above “junk.”
63 billion in Unfunded Pensions and Debt.
High Taxes, High Income Tax, High Property Taxes.....
More People and Businesses Are Fleeing than Ever Before.
Austin had 28 murders. 110 People Move to the City Every Day. I would expect Crime to rise with a population increase. There is a population of about a million here...Chicago roughly three million... if you multiply our population and murders by three to meet Chicago's population...Chicago would still have over 600 more murders than Austin....
I had Family Members forced into retirement in the Chicago Public School system and as a CPD officer.....

Facts do matter. I just posted some. You should look into them. Chicago actually lost population in 2015 and the murder rate still rose....

If you are saying that Chicago is "fine" , than you my friend are just blind.

There are things that I do miss about Chicago, but not enough to ever return there. The state and city is just ran wrong on so many levels and taxpayers will always front the bill.

Good Luck and Happy holidays .

Chicago area sees greatest population loss of any major U.S. city, region in 2015 - Chicago Tribune

Old 12-02-2016, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Chicago's debt rating was slashed two-notches to BBB-minus, which is just one step above “junk.”
63 billion in Unfunded Pensions and Debt.
High Taxes, High Income Tax, High Property Taxes.....
More People and Businesses Are Fleeing than Ever Before.
Austin had 28 murders. 110 People Move to the City Every Day. I would expect Crime to rise with a population increase. There is a population of about a million here...Chicago roughly three million... if you multiply our population and murders by three to meet Chicago's population...Chicago would still have over 600 more murders than Austin....
I had Family Members forced into retirement in the Chicago Public School system and as a CPD officer.....

Facts do matter. I just posted some. You should look into them. Chicago actually lost population in 2015 and the murder rate still rose....

There are things that I do miss about Chicago, but not enough to ever return there. The state and city is just ran wrong on so many levels and taxpayers will always front the bill.

Good Luck and Happy holidays .

Chicago area sees greatest population loss of any major U.S. city, region in 2015 - Chicago Tribune
Read through my post history and literally every single one of these points is addressed (with plenty of data to support my positions). It'll never cease to amaze me how people who claim they've lived here for decades know so little and then act as if they're experts on all things Chicago. Chicago is far from perfect, but so is literally every other place in the world. I don't care if you prefer Austin over Chicago, but if you need to resort to these kinds of posts to make yourself feel better, you've already proven yourself wrong.

Old 12-02-2016, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Read through my post history and literally every single one of these points is addressed (with plenty of data to support my positions). It'll never cease to amaze me how people who claim they've lived here for decades know so little and then act as if they're experts on all things Chicago. Chicago is far from perfect, but so is literally every other place in the world. I don't care if you prefer Austin over Chicago, but if you need to resort to these kinds of posts to make yourself feel better, you've already proven yourself wrong.
I was not trying to push a narrative here . I simply posted what the mayor of Chicago said on live television . It simply belongs in the Chicago thread. Nowhere is perfect. The post originally was never to "offend" anyone but simply educate . When you say something like I take pleasure in doing this , it really makes no sense. It is a debatable topic, and everyone is here to voice their opinion about it. That is it.

Old 12-02-2016, 01:43 PM

1,769 posts, read 2,103,782 times
Ah yes Austin, where everything is literally half the price and half expensive as Chicago. But the salary in Austin is also half that of Chicago.

This makes it super beneficial to relocate from Chicago to Austin, but much harder the other way around.

Quote:
if you multiply our population and murders by three to meet Chicago's population...Chicago would still have over 600 more murders than Austin....
<snip>

Chicago actually lost population in 2015 and the murder rate still rose....

And when you make arguments, be careful on using arguments that only pertain to certain demographics of the city.

Chicago's murder rate going up doesn't affect the city as a whole. Crime in Chicago's West side and South side went up, particularly in 5 police districts.

But this won't be as meaningful to the White side of Chicago. Chicago itself is like 3 different cities.

Saying Black and Hispanic crime has gone up to White people. Well you didn't do that. That only happens if you go more specific.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago