Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 01:01 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Im getting nauseous just thinking about it.

Ill agree with what everyone has said so far. Tinkering with Wrigley is a big no-no, unless theyre rebuilding it to exact spec, using the same materials used in the original construction. Wrigley, Fenway and Yankee stadium are the 3 most hallowed baseball grounds in the entire world. Yankee Stadium is slated for tear-down, leaving just us and Boston. The day those 2 stadiums are torn down is the day that baseball becomes far less special in my eyes.
Well, Yankee Stadium was so extensively overhauled in the 70s that it's not that much of an historic stadium any more. Furthermore, here's what the Yankees have that the Cubs don't: a winning tradition, a perpetually competitive team, and several championships. By contrast, at this point the Cubs franchise is getting by on hope and nostalgia, so tinkering with the latter is risky proposition. And I just don't think Zell understands how deep that nostalgia runs and how much that plays into the franchise's present value. I mean, we're talking about a fan base (the older ones anyway) that practically rioted when they put lights in the stadium.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 01:35 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,105,849 times
I have a feeling that if they were to redo Wrigley in its current location, you'd get a lot of Cubs fans frothing at the mouth. Many would swear to boycott the team.

And perhaps enough of them will actually follow through that the team sees a decrease in attendance, though I doubt it. All it will take is a month of the Cubs being in first place, and the Corporate field will be filled again. Its still the Cubs, there's still beer, and it's still in Wrigleyville. And due to what it would be replacing, the new stadium will be held to ridiculously high design standards, and will probably become the next Pac Bell, or whatever SF's stadium is called these days.

If fans still went out to the park in 2006, they'll find a way to swallow their pride and watch the team at Wrigley Field II.

Old 02-27-2008, 01:42 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Well, Yankee Stadium was so extensively overhauled in the 70s that it's not that much of an historic stadium any more. Furthermore, here's what the Yankees have that the Cubs don't: a winning tradition
I should have stated that. By "hallowed grounds" I meant history and tradition. The new ballpark looks almost identical to the current Yankee Stadium, but with modern amenities. If they changed or demolished Wrigley, Id be extremely upset, almost to boycott levels.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:51 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,609,770 times
There would be no Wrigleyville without Wrigley Field. Actually, the presense of Wrigley Field in Lake View is the main reason Lake View gentrified. If Lake View did not gentrify, the north side in general might not have (well at least as early as it did.)

If that ball park is gone,East Lake View will become Lincoln Park Part 2.(Even though in many places it basically is already.)

If Wrigley is desecrated, they have lost me forever. I came very close to becoming a White Sox fan a few years ago. An action that ruins Wrigley will put me over the edge.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
CHICAGO (AP) — The chief executive officer of the Tribune Company says he won't hesitate to sell the naming rights to Wrigley Field — even if baseball purists don't like the idea.
That man needs an enema.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:35 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
I came very close to becoming a White Sox fan a few years ago. An action that ruins Wrigley will put me over the edge.
I usually agree with everything you say, but not this time. Youre not a Cubs fan if you even remotely thought of becoming a Sox fan. While the desecration of Wrigley Field would forever tear me to pieces, Id NEVER, EVER think of becoming a Sox fan because of it. EVER.

Old 02-28-2008, 09:13 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,105,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post

If Wrigley is desecrated, they have lost me forever. I came very close to becoming a White Sox fan a few years ago. An action that ruins Wrigley will put me over the edge.
This is why you could never become a Sox fan. We care about the product more than the packaging.

Old 02-28-2008, 10:40 AM

233 posts, read 701,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
This is why you could never become a Sox fan. We care about the product more than the packaging.
My sentiments exactly.

Old 02-28-2008, 11:31 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,385,654 times
Slap fight!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-28-2008, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I usually agree with everything you say, but not this time. Youre not a Cubs fan if you even remotely thought of becoming a Sox fan. While the desecration of Wrigley Field would forever tear me to pieces, Id NEVER, EVER think of becoming a Sox fan because of it. EVER.
I have been a Cubs fan since I was a child. Some people have different limits. Wrigley Field being desecrated is one of mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago