U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2008, 08:02 AM

1 posts, read 3,275 times

Advertisements

Hi:

I am at Wisconsin, My friend coming from South Carolina over the weekend and he wants to visit Chicago for One day and I have been in Chicago just once. So my question is:

Where can I find a cheap place to park close to the metro taken in consideration that I am coming from Milwaukee?

Where can I find a plan what to visit and which metro to use?

What would be the places that you recommend me (I liked the lake but I dont know if there is any metro takes there)

I will appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks Much
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 08:10 AM

391 posts, read 1,233,319 times
You could park in evanston and take the purple line into chicago, that way ya know your car will be safe. You can go to the cta website and they have a trip planner that can tell ya how to get anywhere in chicago.

Old 02-28-2008, 04:44 PM

1,816 posts, read 5,450,751 times
I concur with the above. As for other specifics on your itinerary, you'd have to be more specific with your interests and time.

Old 02-28-2008, 05:06 PM

11,543 posts, read 28,133,339 times
If it was me, I'g grab an old time taxi driver and have him take you on a tourthat includes Lower Wacker Drive, Navy Pier, Outer Drive, the miriacle mile, downtown Cnicago. Then there is Lincon Palk Zoo Ape House, Chinatown, Museum of Science nad Insustry, McCormick Place, Buckingham fountain, the three tallest buildings, Big Buck, Big Stan, and the thirs is the Hancock??. I have no idea how the Trump towers is going. Don't forget the night life. Grab a Chicago newspaper and a map and stay out of the south side, The top floor of one of the towers is open for dinner. You can eat dinner and watch planes fly nearly eye-level. Cars look like bugs from that height.

The Windy City is a 24-hour. 3 shift town. It is not cheap to visit. You are almost better off staying at a motel in the burbs and take the advice of the natives. The taxi is pricy, but it you get a good tour complete with the old history, it is priceless.

Just my two cents. I haven't lived there for too many years.

Old 02-28-2008, 05:27 PM

7,297 posts, read 14,391,731 times
There are two train systems in Chicago. The Metra runs from the burbs to downtown. The CTA runs all over the city, but basically only within the city.

You have a few options. You could take Amtrak from Milwaukee to Chicago. That'd set you back around 40 or 50 bucks a person, round trip. ( Amtrak )

You could drive down to Kenosha, WI or Waukegan, IL and take the Metra into town. ( Metra - Welcome to Metra )

Or you could drive into town (or at least Evanston) and take the CTA. ( Chicago Transit Authority | 1-888-YOURCTA )

Old 02-28-2008, 06:49 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,476,328 times
I like the park car in Evanston idea. You could take either the Metra or the RTA from there.

All suggestions good, but Navy Pier pretty deserted this time of year. Don't forget the Field Museum. That's a good one, also the Shedd Aquarium.

Lincoln Park Zoo is free....

If it's a clear day, the observation deck at either the Hancock Building (N. Michigan Ave.) or the Sears Tower (Wacker, not far from Union Station) are good.....but don't bother if it isn't clear.

Avoid the Loop, under construction and a bummer. Do the Museum Campus and N. Michigan Avenue/Lincoln Park.

If you don't want to spend $$ eating, go to the Ghirardelli Chocolate Cafe on Pearson next to the Border's store on Michigan Avenue and have coffee and a sundae. There's a food court on the mezzanine of Water Tower Place, but it isn't really cheap, but you can rummage there....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago