Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 07:51 PM

796 posts, read 931,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL1585 View Post
I like Edgewater (North Side), Bronzeville (south side), and Hyde Park (South Side) for affordable homes. 200-500k.

I just bought a condo in Bronzeville on King Dr for 150k and very low ($168) HOA's. 2br/2ba and updated. Also moving from Seattle to Chicago...
500K is pretty expensive for a house to me. and even in hyde park, you'd be hard pressed finding an affordable single family home. however, you could go further north and get one in douglas, kenwood, or oakland.

in my neighborhood, 250K gets you a large SFH with garage, thats updated. so we're talking at least 4BR and more than 2 full BR's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2017, 10:32 PM

575 posts, read 616,266 times
I'd go with the place where the career opportunities are best on a combined basis.

If you can't find a place on the north side where crime isn't bad . . . .

Old 05-09-2017, 01:37 AM

672 posts, read 757,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by medicalguy30 View Post
palpable sense of crime and that constant feeling to look over your shoulder... plenty of reminders that Charlotte has a lot going for it.
Charlotte has worse violent crime than Chicago. Or are you in a suburb?

And in other news.

I visited Charlotte recently. It's fine but I missed vibrancy, cultural excellence, books, good food, walkability and stuff happening in general. I felt my behind growing more corpulent every second I was there. With a family and its future to think about, I could never even consider a place so suburban and parochial. It remains one of my favourite cities in the South but my eyes have been well and truly opened: I definitely made the right decision in not moving to Charlotte.

No offense and thanks for reading folks!

Old 05-22-2017, 02:06 PM

362 posts, read 497,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I lived in Chicago my whole life, same with my husband. We just moved our family in May from the Naperville, Il area to St. John in NW Indiana. Illinois is just getting ridiculous! It now has the highest property taxes in all of the U.S. with no relief in sight! Sales tax and income tax are also on the rise. Crime is at an all time high! By moving to Indiana we cut our mortgage by $1200 a month for a similar home and property taxes by 70%. My husband still works in Illinois and the commute is not bad. I guess it depends where exactly your job would be. And if you're thinking about anywhere in Chicago, forget it! The schools are absolutely terrible and crime is out of control!! We lived in the S.W suburbs with excellent schools and now my children are behind in school because apparently our schools were not as good as we thought.

My brother and sister in law live in Charlotte and said they would never move back to Chicago! They moved there 8 years ago. My honest opinion, stay in N.C. or look into NW Indiana if your commute will allow!

Have you ever heard of New Jersey??...

Old 05-22-2017, 02:14 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,580,658 times
Stick with Charlotte. It has far more momentum, educated population growth, exceptional weather, lower taxes, dramatically better schools, less crime, no worries about unfunded pension and state debts, and a hell of a job climate. The older you get, especially with kids, the less important a walkable, fun, urban, dense downtown is compared to these other factors.

And it's not like Charlotte is some dead town - I was there 3 or 4 years ago and had a wonderful time.

Old 05-22-2017, 03:22 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,171,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
Stick with Charlotte. It has far more momentum, educated population growth, exceptional weather, lower taxes, dramatically better schools, less crime, no worries about unfunded pension and state debts, and a hell of a job climate. The older you get, especially with kids, the less important a walkable, fun, urban, dense downtown is compared to these other factors.

And it's not like Charlotte is some dead town - I was there 3 or 4 years ago and had a wonderful time.
NC's COL is pretty much equal to that of Illinois. Their debt situation is better, but not drastically. Suburban Chicago definitely offers everything and more that you could find in suburban Charlotte. People around here seem to forget or just not know that suburban Chicago has some of the more highly regarded school districts in the country. I even think that the best schools in the state are in the City. Regardless, schools in Chicagoland > Charlotte. Jobs are typically better in Illinois, but that's really only limited to Chicago. Downstate is hurting...

People around here also need to research crime rates before assuming it's worse here. There are plenty of places with a worse crime rate, and Charlotte is one of them. It's hilarious when people here say they're moving to ATLANTA because it's safer. It's not, but people are going to parrot what they hear on Fox.

The weather is better in Charlotte, but that's about it IMO.

Old 05-22-2017, 09:37 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,580,658 times
Well, unless I missed something, isn't that a different topic. I thought OP was discussing the city propers, not the metro areas.

Old 05-22-2017, 11:43 PM

335 posts, read 334,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
NC's COL is pretty much equal to that of Illinois. Their debt situation is better, but not drastically. Suburban Chicago definitely offers everything and more that you could find in suburban Charlotte. People around here seem to forget or just not know that suburban Chicago has some of the more highly regarded school districts in the country. I even think that the best schools in the state are in the City. Regardless, schools in Chicagoland > Charlotte. Jobs are typically better in Illinois, but that's really only limited to Chicago. Downstate is hurting...

People around here also need to research crime rates before assuming it's worse here. There are plenty of places with a worse crime rate, and Charlotte is one of them. It's hilarious when people here say they're moving to ATLANTA because it's safer. It's not, but people are going to parrot what they hear on Fox.

The weather is better in Charlotte, but that's about it IMO.

Nobody that I know leaving IL is claiming it's to be "safer".. anyone with half a brain knows crime happens anywhere. No way to predict it. Most people leaving are leaving because of the financial outlook in IL and they are sick of the property taxes. And, the other taxes that will likely rise or be added....

Senate Democrats poised to vote on major tax hikes Tuesday - Chicago Tribune

Old 05-23-2017, 06:14 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,482,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco1234 View Post
Most people leaving are leaving because of the financial outlook in IL and they are sick of the property taxes. And, the other taxes that will likely rise or be added....

Senate Democrats poised to vote on major tax hikes Tuesday - Chicago Tribune
And Rauner will block it.

Old 05-23-2017, 07:49 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,171,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
And Rauner will block it.
I will support tax hikes if it means we have a balanced budget moving forward, but with Madigan at the helm that is unlikely. I think Illinois could benefit from a progressive tax bracket. I love the state income tax where it is, but 5 percent is going to break the bank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago