U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 03:40 PM

3 posts, read 7,824 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm moving in September to start a job in River North, just north of the river on State street. I don't know Chicago very well at all, and was hoping some people might be able to recommend what areas would be good to live in.

I lived in River North for a couple months last summer, in the Grand Plaza, which was nice. But I often felt like I was in a concrete jungle, and never sensed any feeling of a community in the area at all.

I thought at the time about living in the Fisher Building in Printer's Row, because I loved the character of the building . . . but I was worried about how close the particular apt was to the El. Also, Printer's row seemed to have no restaurants, or any life at all, after 6 pm.

Commute time is my primary issue if I left the river north area. Are there accessible neighborhoods where commuting really wouldn't be too bad? I generally will need to be in at the office around 9 am, and I'm not bringing a car with me. Money isn't too much of a limitation as far as monthly rent goes, but it's hard not to feel a bit fleeced when you pay 2,000+ a month for a small cookie cutter apt.

So, to sum up, I'm wondering if there are places that might have more of a sense of community than River North does (at least to me), that would be a pretty short commute time each day. My employer has referred me to an apt/house hunting service, but I don't even know what areas to say I'm interested in yet.

Thanks so much for any advice you may have.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 03:49 PM

391 posts, read 1,237,364 times
Most the north nieghborhoods would probably meet your needs. For instance I live in edgwater and that's considered the far north an it takes me about 25 mins to get downtown on the L so commute times from north side aint all that much.

Old 02-27-2008, 03:56 PM

12,063 posts, read 29,792,671 times
I'm sure you'll love Lincoln Park. It's "neighborhood-y" and vibrant at night. It's expensive, but very desirable.

Old 02-27-2008, 04:01 PM

296 posts, read 1,043,493 times
Everyone's definition of a "community" is different, but if you're looking for a yuppyish scene of restaurants, shops, bars, etc. and you're on the younger side, you will probably be very happy with most of the north side neighborhoods on the CTA Red Line. Your job will be right by the Grand Avenue stop on the Red Line, so I'd suggest focusing your search around the Red Line stops at Fullerton, Belmont, or Addison for the quickest commute with the most yuppyish amenities.

Old 02-27-2008, 04:19 PM

Sloopy,

Yeah, I realized my quest for "community" was vague and abstract. I guess it's simply that I've always lived in a college town, and living in a small white walled apt in a skyscraper, surrounded by other skyscrapers, was almost too big of an adjustment for me. When I say "community" I'm not exactly looking for girl scouts selling muffins outside my door, but I also didn't want to feel entrenched in a corporate mecca. I guess it's hard (for me) to describe.

But you are right, I am both young-ish (mid 20s) and 100% yuppy. Thank you very much for your suggestion, and everyone elses responses. I'll look around those stops along the red line.

And though I haven't looked at the area yet, I've heard from others I should check out Lincoln Park. Sentiment so far appears to be that those commute times would be minor?

Old 02-27-2008, 05:13 PM

296 posts, read 1,043,493 times
The stops that I mentioned, Fullerton-Belmont-Addison, are all in Lincoln Park (Fullerton) or Lakeview (Belmont and Addison). The Addison stop is Wrigley Field. I would imagine your ride would be less than 15 minutes even from Addison...probably 10 from Fullerton.

The biggest advantage of focusing on Lincoln Park and Lakeview is the "can't go wrong" factor. While there are lots of neighborhoods in Chicago that you might enjoy, these are the starting points for so many people like you that you really can't go wrong. In 3 years, after you learn the city layout a little more, you may decide to move, but it won't be because you lacked for urban amenities in Lakeview or Lincoln Park.

Old 02-27-2008, 05:15 PM

3 posts, read 9,706 times
I would definately recomend Wicker Park. Quick commute and nice and neighborhoodey.

Good apartments at WickerParkApartments.com

Old 02-27-2008, 05:44 PM

Alright, my limited knowledge of Wicker Park is that it made a pretty bad movie. I've been reading about it though; would I need to switch from the Blue to the Red line to get to River North? If so, any experience with how long that would take?

Old 02-27-2008, 06:14 PM

391 posts, read 1,237,364 times
Swithchin from blue to red is painless.

Old 02-27-2008, 09:27 PM

15,587 posts, read 25,303,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iuh3oos4er5 View Post
Alright, my limited knowledge of Wicker Park is that it made a pretty bad movie. I've been reading about it though; would I need to switch from the Blue to the Red line to get to River North? If so, any experience with how long that would take?
From the Blue Line...

You do not need to switch. Get off at Grand and (or walk the rest of the way) take the respective bus east. Walk to your final destination from Grand and State.

You can also get off at Clark at walk to your final destination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago