Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 07:10 PM

5 posts, read 5,003 times

Advertisements

I am moving to USA and Chicago
i need to buy car in USA, tried to google how to do it but seems note easy. Can you help me with below questions (keeping in mind i am foreigner):
1. if i buy car from private seller - can i drive it immediately?
2. How much time do i have to buy insurance? what is the easiest way to do it?
thx
Arek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2016, 10:01 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Default Only official site!!!

Go to the Illinois Secretary of State, vehicle services --- Temporary Registration Permits (TRP)s

Old 12-18-2016, 12:14 AM

thanks,
do i buy TRP before buying the car or after buying the car?
how about insurance?
thanks

Old 12-18-2016, 06:09 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,102,981 times
Also Chicago has public trains and buses.

30-day pass $100 ride unlimited, to any CTA bus or train as well as Pace.

CTA = Chicago Transit Authority.

Buy at any CTA train station.

Old 12-18-2016, 08:06 AM

Default Sequence...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablonski View Post
thanks,
do i buy TRP before buying the car or after buying the car?
how about insurance?
thanks
You can't get the TRP until you have VIN. That means you need bill of sale / title transfer.
Insurer simply cannot bind policy except for specific car that is legally registered.

Step ZERO -- set budget for car & insurance by shopping for both through obvious online sites. Prep paperwork
https://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/d...insurance.html

Step #1 -- Buy car.

Step #2 -- Get TRP from Secretary of State.

Step #3 -- Get binding insurance from carrier of your choice.

If stopped by police between step one to three you can be issued ticket that would be dismissed when court reviews proof of compliance.

Old 12-18-2016, 09:14 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,934,805 times
First of all you have to have a drivers license and know how to drive in this country. If you have that then if you go to any car dealer and buy a car either new or used, believe me they want your business and they will guide you through any paperwork required. It would seem to me that you would fare better going through a reputable car dealership that buying a car from an independent party who might not know about what paperwork needs to be completed. Plus it can be risky buying a car from an independent party because there could be something wrong with it that you don't know about.

Old 12-19-2016, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
You can't get the TRP until you have VIN. That means you need bill of sale / title transfer.
Insurer simply cannot bind policy except for specific car that is legally registered.

Step ZERO -- set budget for car & insurance by shopping for both through obvious online sites. Prep paperwork
https://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/d...insurance.html

Step #1 -- Buy car.

Step #2 -- Get TRP from Secretary of State.

Step #3 -- Get binding insurance from carrier of your choice.

If stopped by police between step one to three you can be issued ticket that would be dismissed when court reviews proof of compliance.
Thanks for this clarification. What is "proof of compliance" for court? any view how much is ticket?
thanks
arek

Old 12-19-2016, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
First of all you have to have a drivers license and know how to drive in this country. If you have that then if you go to any car dealer and buy a car either new or used, believe me they want your business and they will guide you through any paperwork required. It would seem to me that you would fare better going through a reputable car dealership that buying a car from an independent party who might not know about what paperwork needs to be completed. Plus it can be risky buying a car from an independent party because there could be something wrong with it that you don't know about.
i have international driving license, is it good enough to buy the car?i thought i have 2months to arrange US driving license?
thanks

Old 12-20-2016, 08:00 AM

Default An "insurance card"...

Quote:
Thanks for this clarification. What is "proof of compliance" for court? any view how much is ticket?
thanks
arek
Technically when you are stopped by any law enforcement officer while you are operating your vehicle in Illinois they can ask for "proof of insurance". That is generally a card that the insurer mails to you or a similar form that you print up from their web site once you get insurance coverage. It will have you VIN on it, the effective data / expiration of coverage and your name / address. If you do not have the card with you the LEO can issue a ticket. You can go to court and show the judge that the coverage was "in force" when stopped and the ticket will be dismissed. The fine for not having valid coverage is set at $500. https://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/d...insurance.html

Old 12-22-2016, 06:00 PM

197 posts, read 235,510 times
Quote:
i have international driving license, is it good enough to buy the car?i thought i have 2months to arrange US driving license?
thanks
You do not need a license to purchase a vehicle, but you will need a valid license issued by a government entity in your home country to drive the vehicle. An international driver's license is not valid, as they are only documents that translate the native language on a valid issued government license. A valid license issued outside of Illinois is recognized in the state for up to 90 days. After 90 days, you need to have applied for and received an Illinois license.

You need to have an insurance policy in effect on the vehicle prior to driving it. The best way to do this is to call your insurance company as soon as you sign the purchase paperwork and have a policy enacted immediately. You can get electronic proof of insurance through email or have the insurance company fax the proof of insurance to the car dealership where you've purchased the vehicle. There is no grace period for obtaining an insurance policy, you have to have the policy in effect the minute you drive the vehicle off the lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: