Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-10-2017, 03:37 PM
 
2,029 posts, read 2,361,633 times
Reputation: 4702

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by getoutofillinois View Post
I have started a relocation business out of IL. We moved about 4 years ago. Born and raised in the Northwest Suburbs of Chicago but just couldn't afford the property taxes nor did we want to pay all those taxes. So we moved to Charlotte, NC. Best decision of our lives. There are some things about Chicago that we miss, but not enough to ever move back. Slowly are family and friends are starting to move too. It really is a no-brainer, especially if you can make the same amount of money in a different state. Check out my website. Get Out of Illinois | It's Time. Why? Alternate Locations. Relocation.
If you can't spell, you shouldn't stay ("slowly are family and friends.........") Charlotte is boring, I would much rather be in Chicago. Chicago has its issues with taxes, but there is so much to enjoy here, Bulls, Cubs, Sox, Hawks, museums, nightlife, etc. Happy for you, but for me who is staying and who relocated here for a good job from the west coast, I actually resent your website. Not a no brainer if you realize what a great town Chicago is.

 
Old 01-10-2017, 03:39 PM
 
2,563 posts, read 3,628,153 times
Reputation: 3434
Staying. A Chicago going through a rough patch is still eminently more attractive than 90% of other metros, even on their best day. Chicago, even with taxes, crime and bad weather, is still a world city across every parameter, and has everything that implies in huge quantities. It's an exciting, friendly yet progressive, cultural dynamo yet sports-oriented, sophisticated and cosmopolitan, yet down-to-earth, special city. Awkward last sentence, but anyone reading this knows what I mean. Yes. Staying.
 
Old 01-10-2017, 04:34 PM
 
1,302 posts, read 1,951,013 times
Reputation: 1001
Staying. My wife is from MPLS and wanted to be closer to family. I'm from NYC, and miss the energy of the city. Chicago is a great city, I like it but don't love it here.
 
Old 01-10-2017, 06:33 PM
 
3,674 posts, read 8,662,137 times
Reputation: 3086
True story:

I was speaking with a friend in Boston yesterday, just over the phone. And she mentioned the massacres and apocalypse that is apparently occurring on the South Side.

She said:

"Well do you want to get shot?!"

And I literally stopped the conversation because I had to look inside myself to truly see if there were even the smallest subatomic of ****s to give.

Turns out, I don't have any. My response was:

"It sounds better than living through the next eight years."
 
Old 01-10-2017, 06:46 PM
 
Location: Maryland
4,675 posts, read 7,405,419 times
Reputation: 5363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
If you can't spell, you shouldn't stay ("slowly are family and friends.........") Charlotte is boring, I would much rather be in Chicago. Chicago has its issues with taxes, but there is so much to enjoy here, Bulls, Cubs, Sox, Hawks, museums, nightlife, etc. Happy for you, but for me who is staying and who relocated here for a good job from the west coast, I actually resent your website. Not a no brainer if you realize what a great town Chicago is.
Hopefully it's not his/her day job.
 
Old 01-10-2017, 06:51 PM
 
Location: Below 59th St
672 posts, read 757,535 times
Reputation: 1407
Quote:
Originally Posted by getoutofillinois View Post
I have started a relocation business out of IL. We moved about 4 years ago. Born and raised in the Northwest Suburbs of Chicago but just couldn't afford the property taxes nor did we want to pay all those taxes. So we moved to Charlotte, NC. Best decision of our lives. There are some things about Chicago that we miss, but not enough to ever move back. Slowly are family and friends are starting to move too. It really is a no-brainer, especially if you can make the same amount of money in a different state. Check out my website. Get Out of Illinois | It's Time. Why? Alternate Locations. Relocation.
That's a lot of energy just to fuel your hate-on for Illinois. Why not just say you hate taxes and the cold and be done with it? Move on and live your life.

And moving to the South? No.
 
Old 01-11-2017, 05:38 AM
 
Location: Greenville, SC
6,219 posts, read 5,943,174 times
Reputation: 12161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
If you can't spell, you shouldn't stay ("slowly are family and friends.........") Charlotte is boring, I would much rather be in Chicago. Chicago has its issues with taxes, but there is so much to enjoy here, Bulls, Cubs, Sox, Hawks, museums, nightlife, etc. Happy for you, but for me who is staying and who relocated here for a good job from the west coast, I actually resent your website. Not a no brainer if you realize what a great town Chicago is.
The website''s based on his personal preference and opinion -- just as ""what a great town Chicago is" and "Charlotte is boring" represent your personal preferences. So you resent his website based on your personal preferences -- but it's all just personal preferences. I don't care for professional sports, so Bulls, Cubs, Sox, Hawks mean nothing to me. I'm retirement age and I don't do nightlife or presumably some of your etc. either. So a lot of your reasons for enjoying Chicago mean nothing to me. News flash: people are different and like different things. And most of this silly thread is about personal preferences, not about objective truth.
 
Old 01-11-2017, 05:49 AM
 
Location: Sweet Home Chicago!
6,721 posts, read 6,482,819 times
Reputation: 9915
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
One interesting thing is who are the people who are the people that are coming in instead? Is it a lot of it better educated or better skilled workers? I know within the city of Chicago itself there's been a large internal demographics change where it's become more younger, better educated and better paid people overall. Is that true for the metro overall? What about the state?
Yeah, that's an interesting angle. If you think about it, the ones likely to move first are those that are truly pressured by the higher property taxes. The current situation may be performing a nice toilet flush so to speak. Now don't get me wrong, if Illinois pushes it too far (like raising the income tax), then it will erode the upper middle class and rich too, but right now it seems to be mostly flushing the riff raff.

I'm free to live anywhere I want and for now, I'm staying in Illinois.

and btw getoutofillinois, that picture of the snowstorm on your site is one of the reasons I moved back! Seriously, who doesn't love a good snowstorm? and or a white christmas? You'll never get that in Charlotte!
 
Old 01-11-2017, 07:31 AM
 
14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Reputation: 9251
Staying. But if we were to leave, it's to Europe.
 
Old 01-11-2017, 09:58 AM
 
2,029 posts, read 2,361,633 times
Reputation: 4702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
The website''s based on his personal preference and opinion -- just as ""what a great town Chicago is" and "Charlotte is boring" represent your personal preferences. So you resent his website based on your personal preferences -- but it's all just personal preferences. I don't care for professional sports, so Bulls, Cubs, Sox, Hawks mean nothing to me. I'm retirement age and I don't do nightlife or presumably some of your etc. either. So a lot of your reasons for enjoying Chicago mean nothing to me. News flash: people are different and like different things. And most of this silly thread is about personal preferences, not about objective truth.
The guy is a troll trying to make money by putting a region down. Too much of a loser to educate himself and make a difference in his community, setting up a website just to prey on the malcontents in the area. While he might be doing Illinois a favor by clearing out the deadwood, it is a negative website, and THAT is what I resent. BTW, if you hate sports, nightlife, and a variety of fun things, perhaps a room in a far off field might be better for you than a metropolis of 9 million. Just my personal opinion and preference, as you have correctly pointed out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top