Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2017, 10:56 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,103,547 times

Advertisements

^ GoCUBS1 and IrishIllini could make good roommates heh.

Old 01-12-2017, 11:34 AM

605 posts, read 711,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
1. The trend is NOT that the "highly educated with great jobs" are all moving away - the complete opposite is happening (see all the linked articles/trend stats on this thread).

2. A $5000 out-of-state moving cost is indicative of a very small move (a single person apartment move with few items?). A single-family house out-of-state move of "the highly educated with great jobs" would probably be at minimum $12,000 - $15,000 or more. I believe $20k is a typical company move/relo package? I've moved away from Chicago 3 times (thank heavens I'm back) and got multiple competitive moving quotes each time - never below $12k.... And I packed my own boxes.

People who are spending $5000 to move out-of-state are not likely the higher income SFH owners moving valuable items.
You may have chosen some expensive movers, but we moved for much less than 5K. And we are not single or young and we owned our own $$ house filled with 50 years of stuff, TYVM. We used ABF U-Pack, which is basically freight. We packed our own boxes (our families helped), our church helped us load them into the 18 wheeler, and we drove ourselves down here in our own cars. We had friends down here help us unload the 18 wheeler when it showed up a week later. I think the bill for ABF was $2200. There were some other costs associated with moving (transferring vehicle registrations, etc), but no way did it cost us $5K much less $12-15K.

And we had a whole house of expensive furniture. We just bought lots of packing blankets and bungees and loaded the truck very carefully. Not a single broken dish, and just a few minor dings in a couple piece of furniture due to shifting. So your assumptions are way off that the ONLY way people with money and education would choose to move would be having someone else do it all and pay $15K.

I may have actually chosen that route and saved us all the work had Illinois not sucked us totally dry.

Old 01-12-2017, 01:08 PM

335 posts, read 334,068 times
Quote:
Unlikely you're moving from city of Chicago or close suburbs then. And I'll stick with this "doomed" state. We're just one of the first to go through it and with the influx of talented people and their investments, and a leadership change, we will come out of it just fine.
Actually moving from Lagrange... I can see the skyline from the 3rd level of our house... is that close enough to the city?? Oh wait, I'm single living in the sticks and we have no money, kids or furniture... riiighhhht. The reality is we aren't dumb enough to stay here and pay back money stolen for years and years. But, you have fun with that!

"Consciously created the debt and crisis"... let that sink in! Your allegiance to a state that is literally trying to f--- you is hilarious!

Quote:

•The first revelation explains, in a way we've not seen before, how methodically Illinois officials dumped so much debt and unfunded pension obligation on taxpayers.

How Illinois politicians consciously created these debt and pension crises - Chicago Tribune

Old 01-12-2017, 02:00 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,249,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco1234 View Post
Actually moving from Lagrange... I can see the skyline from the 3rd level of our house... is that close enough to the city?? Oh wait, I'm single living in the sticks and we have no money, kids or furniture... riiighhhht. The reality is we aren't dumb enough to stay here and pay back money stolen for years and years. But, you have fun with that!

"Consciously created the debt and crisis"... let that sink in! Your allegiance to a state that is literally trying to f--- you is hilarious!

Quote:

•The first revelation explains, in a way we've not seen before, how methodically Illinois officials dumped so much debt and unfunded pension obligation on taxpayers.

How Illinois politicians consciously created these debt and pension crises - Chicago Tribune
Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Old 01-12-2017, 02:08 PM

605 posts, read 711,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
don't let the door hit you on the way out.
rofl....

Old 01-12-2017, 02:11 PM

335 posts, read 334,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Good one!

Old 01-12-2017, 02:15 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,477,145 times
Hope you don't own expensive vehicles taco because GA will be taxing you 7 to 8% for each and they will double tax you if you lease and then buy out at end of lease. It's quite the racket...

https://www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...ar-leases.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...my-leased.html

I did the opposite, I brought two vehicles from Georgia to Illinois and paid $196 total per vehicle for plates/1 year sticker and title transfer.

Last edited by flamadiddle; 01-12-2017 at 03:17 PM..

Old 01-12-2017, 02:43 PM

903 posts, read 862,535 times
Quote:
High income earners do you not care as much about this, because they have tax sheltering built into their portfolios.

What do you consider "high income". The only tax shelter I have is a $5500/yr contribution to an IRA.

Old 01-12-2017, 02:44 PM

150 posts, read 295,036 times
Illinois is my home and I love it. I've lived all over, grew up partly in Houston and Seattle. Lived abroad in Europe for 12 years, traveled the world and seen it all.

You can have all that, go get out there if you really think the grass is so much greener.

I'm Staying right here in Chicago in my little house on the Southside until I die thank you very much.

Old 01-12-2017, 02:48 PM

903 posts, read 862,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellamouse View Post
You may have chosen some expensive movers, but we moved for much less than 5K. And we are not single or young and we owned our own $$ house filled with 50 years of stuff, TYVM. We used ABF U-Pack, which is basically freight. We packed our own boxes (our families helped), our church helped us load them into the 18 wheeler, and we drove ourselves down here in our own cars. We had friends down here help us unload the 18 wheeler when it showed up a week later. I think the bill for ABF was $2200. There were some other costs associated with moving (transferring vehicle registrations, etc), but no way did it cost us $5K much less $12-15K.

And we had a whole house of expensive furniture. We just bought lots of packing blankets and bungees and loaded the truck very carefully. Not a single broken dish, and just a few minor dings in a couple piece of furniture due to shifting. So your assumptions are way off that the ONLY way people with money and education would choose to move would be having someone else do it all and pay $15K.

I may have actually chosen that route and saved us all the work had Illinois not sucked us totally dry.
Bella,

Professional movers charge by the pound. Didn't empty a trash can....the wrap it up very nicely, trash and all. I've had a couple of company paid moves. 2 of them were five figures for a two bedroom apartment plus two vehicles. When I've moved on my own dime, the costs have been around $2000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago