Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-13-2017, 03:53 AM
 
Location: Chicago
1,769 posts, read 2,104,365 times
Reputation: 661

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
[/b]You are missing 99% of life by revolving around 'a church' IMNSHO.
Like what?

 
Old 01-13-2017, 06:24 AM
 
Location: Below 59th St
672 posts, read 757,535 times
Reputation: 1407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellamouse View Post
Moving didn't take away from my job. I work from home. Husband had vacation time due at the time he quit his job so he still got paid for the couple weeks before he had to start his new job. Our church was our life and we didn't need to ask for help - they just volunteer. That's the way it works in a real church. We didn't belong to some big, impersonal church where you go in, sit by yourself in the pew and run out after service and you don't know anyone. Our entire social life revolved around our church, and our church was our family.

So maybe our situation wasn't "typical", but I'm just telling you that just because people earn good money doesn't mean they MUST spend it unnecessarily. We found spending 5 or 6 times the amount we spent to hire professional movers unnecessary. Some of the richest folks in the world do things on the cheap (which is how they got rich).

If people would rather hire "insured" movers, good for them. I saved $10k. Even if my big dining room table got ruined in the move (for example), I could replace that for $5K and still have saved another $5K. Smart people do cost/risk analyses.

Also, we didn't drive the 18 wheeler. We shipped it FREIGHT. I said that. You aren't paying attention. We drove our cars and the stuff showed up a week later. Clearly you don't understand how shipping items "freight" works....
Right. So it seems that if you exactly the right circumstances then a move to some conservative southern state might make economic sense.

You might just come out and say you hate the left-wing culture in Chicago so much that you'll go through the tremendous inconvenience of moving somewhere more conservative. Why all this verbiage trying to convince other people of some highly dubious financial reason to move? Because despite what you say, the superiority of Florida or Tennessee or whatever is not evident, prima facie. It's not even evident a posteriori in any case you might mention, other than the concentration of conservatism.

Fact is that yes, Illinois is net losing people, for now. But others are coming and they're better educated and with better prospects.

Again: why not just move on with life, rather than returning again and again to Illinois-related websites trying to persuade others (or yourself) of Illinois' hopelessness?
 
Old 01-13-2017, 07:43 AM
 
335 posts, read 334,357 times
Reputation: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by compactspace View Post
Right. So it seems that if you exactly the right circumstances then a move to some conservative southern state might make economic sense.

You might just come out and say you hate the left-wing culture in Chicago so much that you'll go through the tremendous inconvenience of moving somewhere more conservative. Why all this verbiage trying to convince other people of some highly dubious financial reason to move? Because despite what you say, the superiority of Florida or Tennessee or whatever is not evident, prima facie. It's not even evident a posteriori in any case you might mention, other than the concentration of conservatism.

Fact is that yes, Illinois is net losing people, for now. But others are coming and they're better educated and with better prospects.

Again: why not just move on with life, rather than returning again and again to Illinois-related websites trying to persuade others (or yourself) of Illinois' hopelessness?
Are you not here arguing the same points? Why not love your amazing Illinois life? Why come to forums where people are debating and airing their grievances with Illinois if you have so much life to live and it's a waste of time? The fact is, all of these threads wouldn't keep popping up if there wasn't a huge issue. The news gets worse by the day and people like to discuss it. You're here doing the same thing, just on the other side... so????
 
Old 01-13-2017, 09:13 AM
 
605 posts, read 711,754 times
Reputation: 778
I think he missed the title of the thread.... "Illinois.....are you staying or leaving?" Hence, I had something to add to the conversation, SINCE THEY ASKED! He only wants to hear from the ones who are staying. Those leaving need not reply. This is the exact liberal culture that I hate and wanted to get away from. The angry, hateful, nasty people who are relentless in attacking you if they don't agree with you. They cannot abide ANY opinion that differs from their own and they work diligently to shut that person down. Sickening. Beyond glad to be away from that!

Last edited by Bellamouse; 01-13-2017 at 09:24 AM..
 
Old 01-13-2017, 09:27 AM
 
3,496 posts, read 2,187,636 times
Reputation: 1950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellamouse View Post
I think he missed the title of the thread.... "Illinois.....are you staying or leaving?" Hence, I had something to add to the conversation, SINCE THEY ASKED! He only wants to hear from the ones who are staying. Those leaving need not reply. This is the exact liberal culture that I hate and wanted to get away from. The angry, hateful, nasty people who are relentless in attacking you if they don't agree with you. Sickening. Beyond glad to be away from that.
Angry, hateful, nasty people aren't limited to "liberals." That much I can assure you. Some of the most angry and hateful people I know in my life (this includes friends and family) are staunch conservatives.
 
Old 01-13-2017, 04:14 PM
 
Location: Chicago
6,025 posts, read 15,345,799 times
Reputation: 8153
Yeah, so, umm I didn't read the entire thread and I have zero clue what the above drama is about but I just wanted to answer the original question. I moved out of Chicago in September and don't see myself ever moving back. I'm currently in NYC (Brooklyn to be exact) though I see myself moving again in a few years, probably back to the New England area. There are things I will miss about Chicago but they are outnumbered by the things I won't miss at all.

Before anyone asks, yes, I'm paying more in rent. In fact, my rent is exactly double what I was paying in Chicago. HOWEVER, the last Chicago apartment I lived in was in East Garfield Park (in fact, just a couple of blocks away from the now infamous "Chicago Torture House"). I was paying $400 to rent in a verifiable hellhole and am now paying $800 to live in a MUCH nicer neighborhood. To compare, I'm coming up even when compared to the room I rented in West Lakeview (it had slightly cheaper rent but my Brooklyn place has heat and hot water included). Frankly I would rather pay the extra rent and not have to hear gun shots almost every night or have to walk through an open street drug market.

I've lived in a bunch of Chicago neighborhoods, from Pilsen and Humboldt Park (east and west of the actual park) to Uptown and Lakeview. Yes, I experienced some racist BS living up north, yes, the city is segregated, and yes, there are some definite crime issues creepy by up north (count me as someone who almost got mugged in Lakeview). It is grosly exaggerated in many regards but it's not nonexistent. And I just got tired of all the drama: tired of all the crime and CPD excuses, tired of the crap schools (don't even have kids yet but am focused on the future

In the end I'll miss the lakefront, the museums, and the restaurants and will likely visit in the future, but I'm glad to have moved out, especially when it was becoming far to hard to find gainful employment and affordable rent (really, Logan Sq is dang near expensive as some of the nice parts of Brooklyn!). Plus I was REALLY missing the ocean and mountains and that played a role in my move as well.
 
Old 01-14-2017, 07:59 PM
 
Location: Below 59th St
672 posts, read 757,535 times
Reputation: 1407
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
I was paying $400 to rent in a verifiable hellhole and am now paying $800 to live in a MUCH nicer neighborhood. To compare, I'm coming up even when compared to the room I rented in West Lakeview (it had slightly cheaper rent but my Brooklyn place has heat and hot water included).
You're paying 800 rent in Brooklyn? Where??? 800 doesn't even cover my coop maintenance. Not even half of it. Granted that's in Manhattan but BK ain't much cheaper. This is a very sweet deal.

(Edit: may or may not be asking for a friend.)

Last edited by compactspace; 01-14-2017 at 08:16 PM..
 
Old 01-14-2017, 08:10 PM
 
Location: Below 59th St
672 posts, read 757,535 times
Reputation: 1407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco1234 View Post
Are you not here arguing the same points? Why not love your amazing Illinois life? Why come to forums where people are debating and airing their grievances with Illinois if you have so much life to live and it's a waste of time? The fact is, all of these threads wouldn't keep popping up if there wasn't a huge issue. The news gets worse by the day and people like to discuss it. You're here doing the same thing, just on the other side... so????
No. I'm calling out a bunch of nonsense reasons this poster is giving for moving south; reasons that are founded on false premises yet are nonetheless phrased for persuasion. Hating the politics is valid. Come right out and say this is why you left.

But implying that Joe Public will benefit financially from moving south is just plain misinformation.

Hateful? This is debate. How would you characterize the way Ted Cruz argues with his opponents? Or is that all okay because he's in the right?
 
Old 01-14-2017, 08:11 PM
 
Location: Wicker Park/East Village area
2,474 posts, read 4,166,049 times
Reputation: 1939
I'm staying. I just bought a new condo in Logan Square.
 
Old 01-14-2017, 08:39 PM
 
Location: Chicago
6,025 posts, read 15,345,799 times
Reputation: 8153
Quote:
Originally Posted by compactspace View Post
You're paying 800 rent in Brooklyn? Where??? 800 doesn't even cover my coop maintenance. Not even half of it. Granted that's in Manhattan but BK ain't much cheaper. This is a very sweet deal.

(Edit: may or may not be asking for a friend.)
Deal can be found if you look (for example, look up he various "Gypsy Housing" Pages on Facebook). It's not impossible to find a 3 bedroom apartment for around $2400-2800 even in spots like Bushwick or even Williamsburg (and bigger apartments are often cheaper per bedroom). The $800 is obviously just for a room, but I once saw a UWS studio posted for $1500/month (NOT a share!). Our apartment is not stainless steel-and-granite new, and we don't have a doorman or a gym or in building laundry, but it's perfectly serviceable, pest-free, and most importantly, safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top