Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2017, 09:21 PM

672 posts, read 757,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
Deal can be found if you look (for example, look up he various "Gypsy Housing" Pages on Facebook). It's not impossible to find a 3 bedroom apartment for around $2400-2800 even in spots like Bushwick or even Williamsburg (and bigger apartments are often cheaper per bedroom). The $800 is obviously just for a room, but I once saw a UWS studio posted for $1500/month (NOT a share!). Our apartment is not stainless steel-and-granite new, and we don't have a doorman or a gym or in building laundry, but it's perfectly serviceable, pest-free, and most importantly, safe.
Sweet. NY rents are flat or declining for the most part right now so we might see some better deals in future. It's a shame Chicago didn't work out for you but there's no sense in staying if you don't feel safe.

Old 01-15-2017, 08:45 AM

4,221 posts, read 4,745,158 times
I'm moving to Georgia. I've been here in Chicago for 5 years.

It's my second home and I'll be back closer to my friends and family there. I'll have the opportunity to live with/split rent with a close family member for a while which will put me at less than half of what I'm paying in rent for my current apartment in the South Loop (which I do love and will miss tremendously). I'll be working from home for the same company I work for here so my salary will stay the same but overall what I'm paying will go down even with the possibility of having to buy a car. I won't have to commute 4 hours daily x 3 days a week.

I'll miss my current apartment in the South Loop, the lakefront, political climate and especially the public transit. There's more diversity here IMO (which will also be missed) despite how segregated the city feels to me.

I didn't read the whole thread but skimmed past the last few pages only and am not sure what got several people so upset. I guess I'm just a "to each his own" type of person; even if someone from my hometown wanted to quote a bunch of reasons for leaving I simply would not care.

Last edited by southkakkatlantan; 01-15-2017 at 09:13 AM..

Old 01-15-2017, 08:51 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,989,184 times
I'm staying. The only states I would like to move to are even more liberal and more expensive. It always amuses me how some people spend SO much time on this forum trying to convince us (themselves?) how wonderful life is in whatever southern hellhole they've chosen to move to. I would not have the same quality of life living in the South.

Old 01-16-2017, 07:53 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,057,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
I'm staying. The only states I would like to move to are even more liberal and more expensive. It always amuses me how some people spend SO much time on this forum trying to convince us (themselves?) how wonderful life is in whatever southern hellhole they've chosen to move to. I would not have the same quality of life living in the South.
Agreed. I left for the South and am miserable here. It is backwards, not a lot of quality singles, not progressive enough, and the state is just managed horribly.

I would go back to my home in a heartbeat if I didn't have a lease or decent job here. If I could telecommute I would. Oh believe me I would. But this job needs my physical presence so that's out of the question.

I would love to live in any NE corridor city, any far North state like Vermont or Wisconsin or Minnesota. I want to be in a place where being Italian doesn't get you looked at funny as some odd foreigner (I am not Italian just saying that in the South it's that racist).

The weather is good and that is the only redeeming factor. Oh and the women have sexy accents. Too bad most of them are sloppy and fat and the attractive ones are all taken or I am not country enough for them. Yes I am very much displeased with the South. The North is much better! I would settle for the Lower Midwest even. I can't tell you how much of an outsider I feel like in Kentucky.

I miss public transportation, I miss SMART people, I miss open minds and progressive attitudes. Chicago is my home and though I have a love/hate relationship with it, at least there's love in there.

Old 01-16-2017, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellamouse View Post
I think he missed the title of the thread.... "Illinois.....are you staying or leaving?" Hence, I had something to add to the conversation, SINCE THEY ASKED! He only wants to hear from the ones who are staying. Those leaving need not reply. This is the exact liberal culture that I hate and wanted to get away from. The angry, hateful, nasty people who are relentless in attacking you if they don't agree with you. They cannot abide ANY opinion that differs from their own and they work diligently to shut that person down. Sickening. Beyond glad to be away from that!
Except both sides are guilty of it. I could be conservative if I was whiter. Being conservative only works if you're White enough for them. I am not so I decided being liberal works better. Much happier this way.

Old 01-16-2017, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
Reason for the following:

1) ridiculous property taxes - Democrats
2) ridiculous tolls - Democrats
3) crumbling roads - Democrats
4) horrid schools - Democrats
5) soaring crime - Democrats
6) corruption - Democrats
7) supporting illegal immigration - both parties
8) violation of Constitutional rights - Democrats
9) high COL - Democrats
10) racism - both parties, but probably more so for Democrats
11) job losses - Democrats
12) soaring debt - Democrats
Life must be so easy when you can just blame every problem on people who disagree with you.

Old 01-16-2017, 08:48 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,943,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
Southern hellhole? Your prejudices are showing, big time. I lived in Charlottesville VA for five years and Chapel Hill NC for five years, and neither was what I would call a "hellhole".

As I said, most of this thread is just battling over personal preferences. Are you trying to convince the rest of us (some of whom have actually lived in the South) to stay, or trying to convince yourself?

Old 01-16-2017, 09:09 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,943,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Agreed. I left for the South and am miserable here. It is backwards, not a lot of quality singles, not progressive enough, and the state is just managed horribly. ... I miss public transportation, I miss SMART people, I miss open minds and progressive attitudes. Chicago is my home and though I have a love/hate relationship with it, at least there's love in there.
It all depends on where you choose to live in the south. Live in a big city or a university town, and you'll find plenty of progressive attitudes and quality singles -- as well as smart people.

But you know what, if you choose to live in a downstate Illinois town you'll likely find it backwards too, without a lot of quality singles, and poorly managed. I grew up in Rock Island and it was poorly managed when I was in high school in the early 60s.

Further, Chicago is listed as one of the most if not the most segregated large city in the country -- more segregated than some large southern cities:

Chicago Is The Most Segregated City In America: Analysis « CBS Chicago

Never met a racist or a hard-core conservative or a non-smart person in Chicago or the suburbs? Then you don't get out much. It sounds like you made a bad choice for you to move south, that you're more of a big city guy -- but your experience doesn't mean the whole south is a bad place or that others wouldn't find it a good choice for them. Try searching City Data for "progressive southern cities" to find past discussions of the topic.

What I will agree with you on is, public transportation in much of the south is lacking. But outside the city proper, the opportunities for getting around in the suburbs are limited to your own car, Uber or a cab, or the limited options provided by PACE. In other words, it's the same situation once you get out of Chicago.

Old 01-16-2017, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealIRC View Post
You guys are all welcome to move out.

As all the softies start moving out (say, all the soft women move out), then eventually, all the women left will be like the below type.

Not that it makes much of a difference, since if you all stayed, you were all segregated anyways. But when all the softies leave, it makes it harder for anyone to do armed robbery, so that's a good thing.
You realize most of the people moving to Chicago are from the Midwest and most women from the Midwest don't look like that. . .

Old 01-16-2017, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
It all depends on where you choose to live in the south. Live in a big city or a university town, and you'll find plenty of progressive attitudes and quality singles -- as well as smart people.

But you know what, if you choose to live in a downstate Illinois town you'll likely find it backwards too, without a lot of quality singles, and poorly managed. I grew up in Rock Island and it was poorly managed when I was in high school in the early 60s.

Further, Chicago is listed as one of the most if not the most segregated large city in the country -- more segregated than some large southern cities:

Chicago Is The Most Segregated City In America: Analysis « CBS Chicago

Never met a racist or a hard-core conservative or a non-smart person in Chicago or the suburbs? Then you don't get out much. It sounds like you made a bad choice for you to move south, that you're more of a big city guy -- but your experience doesn't mean the whole south is a bad place or that others wouldn't find it a good choice for them. Try searching City Data for "progressive southern cities" to find past discussions of the topic.

What I will agree with you on is, public transportation in much of the south is lacking. But outside the city proper, the opportunities for getting around in the suburbs are limited to your own car, Uber or a cab, or the limited options provided by PACE. In other words, it's the same situation once you get out of Chicago.
I live in a "progressive" Southern city but most of the progressives here are inactive hippies who do nothing but revel in the fact they're better than the country bumpkins who live outside of the city. But for the most part they are few and far in between and the city has less than 1 million people and an almost 40% obesity rate. So no there aren't a lot of smart attractive liberal women to connect with just by the numbers. Chicago wins by far. Plus where I live the racist conservative element exists as soon as you get into the outer ring suburbs unlike Chicago where it doesn't come into play until you leave the metro.

And no, getting out of Chicago is still miles better in public transportation than in the South. At least the system EXISTS.

As far as segregation, nobody believes Chicago doesn't have racism. However outside of Mt. Greenwood or Beverly most White Chicagoans are nowhere near racist as White Kentuckians. In Chicago for 28 years I haven't heard the N word as much from Whites as I have 1 year in Kentucky.

The city I live in has a university and is "progressive" by Southern standards but it ain't Atlanta. It is still very culturally Southern and that includes with it a sense of good Ole boy entitlement for White men. It is so polarized. Either you're in the good Ole boy club or you're hanging out with strange hippies who just isolate themselves. Very odd. In Chicago, progressive types are usually you know, normal. There are quality single progressive types here but they are outnumbered by the people with hillbilly tendencies, drug users, and outer ring conservatives. Because my city consolidated with its county the political landscape is purple. I prefer dark blue. I don't mind conservatives or Trump voters alone. It's just they seem to mind me too much and I am not the right shade for that club.

Plus the country element and culture here is just not my alley. I prefer going to the city nightlife and dancing to some House with sexy Polish women not country music with a bunch of ditzy preppy girls who think I am an immigrant. Culturally I am about as American as it gets but in the South I always feel like an immigrant even around progressives. It's almost as of their SJW tendencies combined with being Southern makes them overcompensate in their "love" for dark people as if they are trying to prove they're not like the other White Southerners. I feel like all people here are condescending for different reasons. White Southern conservatives: you're not White enough! Forget you! White Southern liberals: you're not White!! We love you extra or least we want you to know it!!

Plus I am not of college age so the singles of the university here are honestly out of reach for me anyway. Chicago has a better singles scene just by population density and numbers. I also live in a very White city. If I wanted to date an Asian or a Latina here the pool is small. Where I live there is no dominant ethnic culture and it isn't my taste. Does this make me a kind of racist? Not necessarily. I just prefer living around a mix of people rather than just Southern Whites. I don't even mind living amongst all Northern Whites. Southern Whites and I get along fine but in terms of feeling accepted it just doesn't seem to fly down here for some reason. I have always felt like an outsider in Kentucky despite the propensity for people here to be polite.

Long story short: I don't have what it takes to tolerate living in the South, conservative or not

Last edited by EddieOlSkool; 01-16-2017 at 10:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago