Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2017, 03:05 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,057,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellamouse View Post
Then you are misguided. A community of people do not dictate my lifestyle. God the Creator dictates my lifestyle.
That's all well and good and I am not going to discuss your personal religious beliefs here. Still doesn't change the fact that churches do engage in community groupthink. Nothing wrong with it just not for me. Which is why I prefer the North because the Bible Belt is ridiculous with that mentality.

Old 01-16-2017, 03:08 PM

605 posts, read 711,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaiter View Post
Does he talk to you?
Of course. This is a basic tenet of Christianity. We have a God who desires relationship with us. He's not hiding. One only has to sincerely seek Him, and you will find Him.

But this is a thread about staying or leaving Illinois. Not about Christianity. So I won't comment any further about it.

Old 01-16-2017, 03:48 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,171,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco1234 View Post
Those articles are from July and October. Unfortunately the edge tax incentive ended on 12/31:

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...s-about-to-die

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...s-about-to-die
LOL, Taco, get real. Vacancy rates don't swing wildly from quarter to quarter. Find the fourth quarter vacancy rates and I'm sure they're stable or even dropping. I'm not the one who is moving and still spending literally hours of his life online complaining about the exact things you'll be complaining about once you arrive in Atlanta. Please give us updates, because I don't think you understand that the COL is a wash - even if property taxes are lower. I'm sure you'll find something to hate about Georgia in no time.

Edge expiring is obviously not favorable, but the pieces are already moving to re-initiate the program. Although there is talk about it not being worth it in the long run. I'm sure you've read all about it on Illinois Policy

Old 01-16-2017, 04:03 PM

As someone who used to have a grass is greener mentality, it is only partially true. It just is important that you consider your personal situation above others but at the same time don't use it to try and tell others their experience will be the same.

If you're gonna say "you don't know my situation" then why spend time on a forum trying to convince others about theirs??

Old 01-16-2017, 04:19 PM

335 posts, read 334,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
LOL, Taco, get real. Vacancy rates don't swing wildly from quarter to quarter. Find the fourth quarter vacancy rates and I'm sure they're stable or even dropping. I'm not the one who is moving and still spending literally hours of his life online complaining about the exact things you'll be complaining about once you arrive in Atlanta. Please give us updates, because I don't think you understand that the COL is a wash - even if property taxes are lower. I'm sure you'll find something to hate about Georgia in no time.

Edge expiring is obviously not favorable, but the pieces are already moving to re-initiate the program. Although there is talk about it not being worth it in the long run. I'm sure you've read all about it on Illinois Policy
Every article I've linked has been from Crain's or the Tribune... so, wow... you're on a roll with being wrong.

And LOL to you, too. You're doing the same thing: spending hours of your life defending the state that you are so sure of and that is teeming with housing market gains, business expansion and just all around amazing opportunities! That's the ultimate LOL!

Old 01-16-2017, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco1234 View Post
Every article I've linked has been from Crain's or the Tribune... so, wow... you're on a roll with being wrong.

And LOL to you, too. You're doing the same thing: spending hours of your life defending the state that you are so sure of and that is teeming with housing market gains, business expansion and just all around amazing opportunities! That's the ultimate LOL!

Taco, the irony of your statement is lost on you. You're clearly very unhappy. I hope things work out for you in Georgia. Good luck!

Old 01-17-2017, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
You wrote: "I would go back to my home in a heartbeat if I didn't have a lease or decent job here". Then come up with a plan for getting out in a year or two and implement it.

Regarding public transportation, you've got great options for getting into and out of Chicago, My point was: the opportunities for getting from suburb A to suburb B more often than not are limited and inferior to the Metra. Try commuting from Naperville to Arlington Heights for five years like I did - or for a consulting gig to a northern suburb near the Wisconsin border. Everything is arranged for getting into and out of Chicago proper. Many of us do not live in the city, and have no desire to do so; for us a system DOESN'T exist.

And you don't know what the White Chicagoans are saying once you're out of the room.

You either didn't do your research and spend time in Kentucky before deciding to move there, or you decided the job offer made it worth it in spite of your misgivings. That was your choice -- if you're miserable, I suggest getting out even if it means taking something at a lower salary. If you decide to stay, spend time making friends who you can tolerate and stay away from those who aren't liberal or smart enough.
Also your point about people moving to and fro suburbs is irrelevant. We were not comparing living in a city (which I do) to you living in far out suburbs that have nothing to do with each other. It is apples to oranges.

In Chicago metro you can commute from suburb to suburb so long as they are on adjacent Pace or Metro Lines. It makes no monetary sense to connect somewhere like Waukegan to Naperville. The demand isn't there and there isn't a significant base to keep such transportation lines open. So that example is kind of silly. Most people who live in suburbs or exurbs throughout the nation realize that public transportation is for the city mostly. You want to have amazing public transport, go to the city. Most major cities have this issue anyway. Suburbs and exurbs that aren't directly connected haven't been and most likely will not be. Ever. This isn't unique to Chicago!

It's not like in Philly or NYC there are a ton of train lines bypassing the city and taking you from far out suburbs to other far out suburbs. They all link to the city and branch out usually. Try going from Mt Olive to Poughkeepsie direct. It doesn't exist. I know you were trying to prove that West suburbs having little connection to North Suburbs somehow makes the Southern transportation somehow not as bad but it is a hoooooorrible comparison. It doesn't affect the quality of transportation in the city at all.

The South just sucks for public transportation. Whether you're in the city limits or the burbs. Only the most Northern influenced cities like Baltimore and DC have good systems. The rest are garbage. Chicago not having connectors from Arlington Heights to Naperville is nothing compared to the non existent city systems of the South.

Old 01-17-2017, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Also your point about people moving to and fro suburbs is irrelevant. We were not comparing living in a city (which I do) to you living in far out suburbs that have nothing to do with each other. It is apples to oranges.

In Chicago metro you can commute from suburb to suburb so long as they are on adjacent Pace or Metro Lines. It makes no monetary sense to connect somewhere like Waukegan to Naperville. The demand isn't there and there isn't a significant base to keep such transportation lines open. So that example is kind of silly. Most people who live in suburbs or exurbs throughout the nation realize that public transportation is for the city mostly. You want to have amazing public transport, go to the city. Most major cities have this issue anyway. Suburbs and exurbs that aren't directly connected haven't been and most likely will not be. Ever. This isn't unique to Chicago!

It's not like in Philly or NYC there are a ton of train lines bypassing the city and taking you from far out suburbs to other far out suburbs. They all link to the city and branch out usually. Try going from Mt Olive to Poughkeepsie direct. It doesn't exist. I know you were trying to prove that West suburbs having little connection to North Suburbs somehow makes the Southern transportation somehow not as bad but it is a hoooooorrible comparison. It doesn't affect the quality of transportation in the city at all.

The South just sucks for public transportation. Whether you're in the city limits or the burbs. Only the most Northern influenced cities like Baltimore and DC have good systems. The rest are garbage. Chicago not having connectors from Arlington Heights to Naperville is nothing compared to the non existent city systems of the South.
I agree it makes little sense to expand Metra to link various sub-regions of Chicago. There are quite a few jobs out in Naperville, but there are also plenty of affordable housing options within driving distance. I think expanding Metra to Milwaukee and improving the L with either the connector and lines down Ashland or Western would do more for the region than the Metra STAR line.

Old 01-17-2017, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
I agree it makes little sense to expand Metra to link various sub-regions of Chicago. There are quite a few jobs out in Naperville, but there are also plenty of affordable housing options within driving distance. I think expanding Metra to Milwaukee and improving the L with either the connector and lines down Ashland or Western would do more for the region than the Metra STAR line.
I also think the South Side expansion to the more Rust Belt neighborhoods might be an OK idea but then again it seems there were enough metra lines going South to where moving the red line further just seemed unnecessary. It's not like the South Side was ignored. It just didn't have the L past 95th unlike the North Side where the Purple line goes all the way to Wilmette or how the Yellow goes to Skokie and connects to Old Orchard.

Chicago has one of the top non-NYC public transportation systems. If you live within city limits you can feasibly not own a car even if you live in outer edges. Garfield Ridge and Clearing are served by 62 and 63W. South Chicago by NICTD and Metra, Norwood Park by Metra, West Rogers by well...any and every North Side bus line, and Austin by the Green line. There isn't one part of Chicago that is ignored by the metropolitan transit system. Arguably you can treat The Region as an exurb and run all your errands in Chicago while sleeping in Northwest Indiana. Not super practical but it can be done. People seem to have no problem doing that with Elgin or Waukegan. Heck if I really wanted to save money moving back I would rent near the South Bend line and just commute into Chicago every day. It's not expensive as owning a car (it's like half the cost) and you have time for yourself before you get to work. Travel time is usually consistent anyway unlike going the Bishop Ford to the Ryan.

Now working from suburb to suburb means you'll always need a car. I don't care where you are in the US. It just is the way it is. But Southern cities that don't have reliable public transportation will always struggle to find the young talent that bigger Northern cities can attract. They pay less and are more inconvenient to live in. Better weather and lower property taxes don't matter when you can't get to work and your job pays little. That's why Southern cities attract less young talent without even considering their bigoted history. Crap infrastructure and less opportunity is why you can't sell a lot of people on "Democratic failed policy cities". I don't see how Southern upvoters can ignore the terrible infrastructure of Southern cities and claim that the North failed. All they see is "low taxes! Less liberals! I can own a mansion!!" as if if any of that mattered to most people.

I will stay in the cold dreary North if it means I can have an easier time to live. Time is money. If I have to spend time commuting and have to spend more money on car insurance and payments and work a job that pays less for doing the same as up North, how am I winning??

Last edited by EddieOlSkool; 01-17-2017 at 08:33 AM..

Old 01-17-2017, 08:41 AM

Honestly if Illinois residents leave because they don't like the liberal culture, I commend them for doing so. Go move to Red States where you fit in. Meanwhile Illinois can become more like Wisconsin and Minnesota as the more liberal Midwestern people leave Indiana and Missouri. Maybe then then the state can go in a more progressive direction which is horribly needed. How do you think we got Rahm? Illinois has been full of people OK with the status quo for too long. Maybe those people do need to leave.

I wouldn't mind a dark Blue Illinois. It is solid Blue now and I would like it dark Blue. All of the states I find desirable are dark Blue like California, Massachusetts, Vermont, Maine, Oregon, and Washington.

As low income people leave and higher earners come in, we increase our tax base. I always did envy New England.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago