Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 04:07 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,986,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by compactspace View Post
this.

People make bad choices for many reasons, poor information and poor mental health being chief amongst them. Sometimes, due to circumstances of birth, bad choices are the only ones available.

And those bad choices create bad feedback, and then they compound. It's abhorrent to suggest we toss those people on the trash heap and turn up our noses at their miserable, shortened lives. We, as a society are better than that.

There's a bit of a fantasy going around about legions of lazy, entitled whiners who make bad choices on purpose and expect society to pick up after them. It's a convenient rhetorical device to harden hearts and promote devil-take-the-hindmost politics, but it's largely false. A minuscule number of such people exist, and their existence is insufficient to let the generationally poor suffer.

To make things worse, the road of 'good choices' is getting narrower and narrower, and much easier to fall off of. We're entering a status quo where we've never had more, been more productive nor had greater capacity to ensure everyone amongst us can lead a healthy, dignified life. But we're being hoodwinked into pooling up the spoils into a few hands thanks to a combination of naked greed and manufactured contempt for 'lazy entitled slobs'.

This idea that we're all atomic individuals in the wild west, existing apart from and in competition with each other, building wealth or failing entirely on our own merits, is also fantasy. We're interdependent social animals existing in a social context. Almost all success is built on advantage inherited from family or community. Now we can all succeed if we help each other, or tiny number of us can succeed on the backs of those less fortunate or weaker than ourselves.

And back on topic, despite its problems with waste and mismanagement, politics in illinois tends towards the former. That's why i'd live there over most places in the us.
amen!!

Old 01-21-2017, 01:55 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,422,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
The U.S. needs MORE STEM workers. H1b visas may suppress wages for STEM workers (who are still paid very well), but the demand for qualified STEM workers far exceeds supply.
Bull crap. Maybe companies could start hiring people over 40 and knock it off with the staffing agency crap. There is plenty of STEM talent companies just don't want to pay them nor treat them well so they go elsewhere with their inteligence.

Old 01-21-2017, 06:01 PM

16 posts, read 18,672 times
Will be gone by August of 2017.
Houston, cheaper housing, cheaper taxes, less crime, much better weather, just as economically diverse...
The list goes on and on. Chicago is a great city, but it is just turning me upside down and shaking my pockets.

Old 01-21-2017, 06:49 PM

636 posts, read 610,947 times
Hopefully on my way back soon...

Old 01-21-2017, 07:35 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,900,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justintchicago1989 View Post
Houston, cheaper housing, cheaper taxes, less crime, much better weather, just as economically diverse...
The list goes on and on. Chicago is a great city, but it is just turning me upside down and shaking my pockets.
Houston has a lot of crime - not really a lot less than Chicago, just not concentrated in certain areas. I live in a suburb of Houston currently and while it is certainly safe, so was my Chicago suburb. Houston is actually one of 3 cities driving the murder rate higher along with Baltimore and Chicago.

Note that housing is really not that much cheaper if you are buying, though I think rent is a bit cheaper. The housing stock is newer in Houston. Property tax rates are comparable, but Texas has no income tax. Food and clothing are a bit cheaper, but not an awful lot. The biggest expense in Houston though is that you will have to have a car. There is very little public transportation and there are many toll roads.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not ok

Houston is certainly just as economically diverse although its a different diversity - more hispanic and less black, about comparable in terms of Asian percentages, I think. We also have a large international community, but Chicago has more.

As for the weather - you may prefer it, but it is really just switching out 6 months of hot humid weather for the Chicago winter. I find it awful because I love to walk outside and here in Houston, you will sweat even at night and even in the winter months. Also, you will need to look at the flooding here in terms of where to live.

Last edited by Yac; 02-17-2017 at 06:13 AM..

Old 01-22-2017, 08:11 AM

2,029 posts, read 2,358,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco1234 View Post
Actually moving from Lagrange... I can see the skyline from the 3rd level of our house... is that close enough to the city?? Oh wait, I'm single living in the sticks and we have no money, kids or furniture... riiighhhht. The reality is we aren't dumb enough to stay here and pay back money stolen for years and years. But, you have fun with that!

"Consciously created the debt and crisis"... let that sink in! Your allegiance to a state that is literally trying to f--- you is hilarious!

Quote:

•The first revelation explains, in a way we've not seen before, how methodically Illinois officials dumped so much debt and unfunded pension obligation on taxpayers.

How Illinois politicians consciously created these debt and pension crises - Chicago Tribune
I have been reading your rants on this post, and was surprised that you lived in LaGrange with a thriving downtown and neighborhoods that have improved dramatically over the years. On top of that you are saying that people and wealth are moving out, and real estate is dead, when you are right next to Western Springs and Hinsdale which are still very much in the teardown game. In fact, if you look at Zillow, Hinsdale property values went up 8.6 percent last year, and are predicted to go up another 4 percent this year. Drive around WS and Hinsdale and see what they are putting up right now. I think the problem is with your bias, not Chicago, Taco.

Old 01-22-2017, 12:59 PM

71 posts, read 86,532 times
Quote:
I think it's unfair to assume it's always the individual. I don't know when you entered the workforce, but it's very difficult to even get your foot in the door these days. People EXPECT you to work unpaid internships in addition to graduating from a top notch school where you paid ~30k+ a year for four, five, or even SIX years. I worked unpaid internships all four years of undergrad. It wasn't until I had graduated that I found an INTERNSHIP that was willing to pay me. It took my six months to find my first job where I started off making less than $30,000 a year. Thankfully I was debt free and able to live with my parents, allowing me to save most of it. Many people don't have that option.

Landing a job is a lot of luck and even more of who you know. Some people don't have the connections or the guidance of those who have built successful careers and networks. Some people will do essentially everything right and still get screwed.
What exactly did you major in? I had a management degree with a 2.7 GPA. I never worked an unpaid internship and made 45k right out of college with 0 connections to the job. Ive also jad 0 connections to the next two jobs which paid more. I always find it confusing when I see stories like this

Old 01-22-2017, 02:20 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,168,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicago0311 View Post
What exactly did you major in? I had a management degree with a 2.7 GPA. I never worked an unpaid internship and made 45k right out of college with 0 connections to the job. Ive also jad 0 connections to the next two jobs which paid more. I always find it confusing when I see stories like this
I was making 50k within a year of working. I'm currently making 80k three years out, but I wouldn't be in this position unless I did work those unpaid internships. I didn't major in Engineering or anything that would lead to that type of money right out of school. I have a niche degree in an industry where it's tough to get started, but once you do the opportunities for advancement are there.

What does a degree in management mean? Do you work retail management?

On a different note, I know people who did major in fields such as chemistry, biology, economics, and hospitality management/tourism that all have similar stories as me. Some are working in fields that allows them to use their degree, others are not. I think those who majored in biology or chemistry had hopes of attending med school but never made the cut. Now they're just sitting on these degrees (from Champaign, a well-respected University) that most would agree are reserved for "smart" people but have no real employment prospects unless they go on to get a PhD.

Old 01-22-2017, 02:30 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,168,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Bull crap. Maybe companies could start hiring people over 40 and knock it off with the staffing agency crap. There is plenty of STEM talent companies just don't want to pay them nor treat them well so they go elsewhere with their inteligence.
Don't STEM workers have some of the lowest unemployment rates? As I was getting at in my previous post, there seems to be an excess of biologist and chemists with PhD's seeking to be college professors, but a shortage of those seeking full-time work in the private sector as contractors or researchers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justintchicago1989 View Post
As Nana already said, Houston is not any cheaper and crime is also an issue in Houston. Don't be fooled by no income tax. All of Texas is heavy on toll roads and seeing as they do not have the public transit options that Chicago does, it will cost more to operate your car. If you're not college educated, you may be able to find higher paying manual labor type jobs, but those are on the decline nationally due to automation. Like Chicago, the crime is dependent on where are you. Weather is subjective, but I'm assuming you don't like the cold.

Old 01-23-2017, 10:54 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,422,206 times
Quote:
Don't STEM workers have some of the lowest unemployment rates? As I was getting at in my previous post, there seems to be an excess of biologist and chemists with PhD's seeking to be college professors, but a shortage of those seeking full-time work in the private sector as contractors or researchers.
For a very good reason, the private sector treats them like crap. It is a staffing agency infested race to the bottom. I still get calls from staffing agencies wanting me to go work for them for no benefits and $15-20 an hour especially from "our client in Lake Co or Abbott Park Illinois" [Abbott labs/Abbvie]. I don't think they hire any scientists directly. Believe me I could fill pages with such job ads. A lot of the stats I've looked at says less than half of science grads work in science after they graduate as a result.

The fact companies are having a hard time getting highly intelligent highly educated professionals to work via a lousy agency for lousy pay and no benefits does not mean there is a shortage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago