Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 08:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,550 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

This is my first time posting, so I hope not to mess things up. I have been living in Chicago for about four years, and am starting to consider getting a 2BR instead of throwing money on rent. I know that Andersonville is a pretty good neighborhood, as well as all along the Red Line, but my budget is approx 185/200k, and I don't know if I'll find anything for that amount.

I was looking at places on the south side as well - 43rd Street, but I'm not really convinced that the area is too good - I worked in a school on 55th Street and Ashland and we would have shootings in front of it once in a while, so meh...
Any advice on good areas that offer CTA and reasonable social life (a market/supermarket, a couple of restaurants and cafes)?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2017, 10:04 PM

435 posts, read 431,049 times
Are you going to rent the 2nd bedroom or are you just wanting the extra room? Personally I would opt for a one bedroom in a nicer area of the Northside than a 2 bedroom on the Southside due to safety and value retention reasons. I think your budget does allow you 2 bedrooms in second-tier areas of the northside, like Rogers Park or Uptown. Portions of Rogers Park are nicer than others (stay away from the Howard stop). Uptown is next to Andersonville and you can likely get a 2 bedroom there too or perhaps even just to the south near Irving Park in Lakeview. Uptown though you will have some areas that are better than others and some places are a bit sketchy relative to the more typical Northside neighborhoods. There is one listing right now on Zillow in Graceland West which is nice but not as well know. You can walk south to the Southport Corridor were there are tons of amenities and a Jewel. This area is within walking distance to either Red or Brown lines.

Use Zillow or one of the other online listing sites to find listings in your price range and go take a look at the exterior/neighborhood to see what you think as a start. There will also be open houses for you to explore. Or you can always have a realtor help you if you are serious although I think it is best to be knowledgeable yourself on specific areas and pricing before you engage one so they can focus on getting you what you want.

It may be helpful for other posters to know if you really want to be on a certain el-line (you mention Red Line above) and where you have been living thus far in Chicago and how you like it.

Old 01-05-2017, 12:08 PM

186 posts, read 243,230 times
Bucktown, wicker park are some very trendy neighborhoods.

Old 01-05-2017, 12:28 PM

201 posts, read 278,411 times
Obviously "best" can be subjective, but I know a couple who bought a condo in Wicker Park (West of Damen) three years ago for $70,000. They just sold it this year for $210,000. If you goal is appreciation, I would say the edges of Bucktown/Wicker would be a good choice.

Old 01-05-2017, 03:00 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,171,322 times
Trendy neighborhoods change. It seems like, while still popular, Lakeview is less "hot" than it was even five years ago. Now all you hear about is Ukrainian Village, Logan Sq., Bucktown, and Wicker Park.

With your budget I'd look into Andersonville, Buena Park, or Uptown. People's perceptions of Uptown vary wildly, but it's not a bad spot.

You could also find something in Lakeview in your price range, but just watch the HOA fees.

Old 01-06-2017, 09:37 AM

796 posts, read 931,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aydmen View Post
Hi everyone,

This is my first time posting, so I hope not to mess things up. I have been living in Chicago for about four years, and am starting to consider getting a 2BR instead of throwing money on rent. I know that Andersonville is a pretty good neighborhood, as well as all along the Red Line, but my budget is approx 185/200k, and I don't know if I'll find anything for that amount.

I was looking at places on the south side as well - 43rd Street, but I'm not really convinced that the area is too good - I worked in a school on 55th Street and Ashland and we would have shootings in front of it once in a while, so meh...
Any advice on good areas that offer CTA and reasonable social life (a market/supermarket, a couple of restaurants and cafes)?

Thanks!

I live in Chatham along the redline. Just east of the dan ryan between 83rd and 87th street. very quiet neighborhood and they are rehabbing a lot of homes in the area. Your budget would allow you a single family home in the area within walking distance of the red line.

my house has 5 BR's (well one is in the basement and one on the main floor). 3 BR's are upstairs and 3 full Bathrooms. one on each level.

as for where u work, I used to live in that area, so I'm very familiar. I am pretty sure I know which school ur at. from my area, the commute would be simple.

I'm married, so I can't give u any idea about the social aspect, but shopping wise, there's a target, walmart, aldi, food 4 less, and jewel within 5 minutes drive.

Old 01-06-2017, 09:40 AM

796 posts, read 931,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aydmen View Post
Hi everyone,

Thanks!
I like 43rd street. but I'm talking about all the way east. past drexel near the lakefront. used to work over there. I really like it because of the lakefront access and affordability. plus it's not all crowded like north side lakefront neighborhoods. and via lakeshore drive, it's very easy to get downtown.

Old 01-06-2017, 10:42 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,941,830 times
Those are extremely hard numbers to work with. There will always be someone that found a gem that was cheap somewhere for that amount but the trendy places mentioned above I think would be impossible. I would not go to the south side rather comb some north side neighborhoods and see what might be there.

Old 01-06-2017, 11:07 AM

2,329 posts, read 6,634,006 times
you can definitely find stuff in Edgewater/RP for that amount. although from what ive seen, a lot of the refurbished 200k 2 bed condos are usually garden units, which would be a non starter for me. prices have also risen pretty quickly in Edgewater, even just within the past couple years.

Old 01-06-2017, 12:32 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
you can definitely find stuff in Edgewater/RP for that amount. although from what ive seen, a lot of the refurbished 200k 2 bed condos are usually garden units, which would be a non starter for me. prices have also risen pretty quickly in Edgewater, even just within the past couple years.
Definitely agree. Edgewater outside of the Andersonville neighborhood would probably work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago