Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 08:22 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,961,083 times

Advertisements

Sad to say, maybe its time to start playing dirty. Fight fire with fire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2017, 09:03 AM

846 posts, read 1,400,283 times
Similar problem.

We live in a beautiful basement apartment. 2 toddlers above us, third on the way. Parents not parenting at any hour. They opened Christmas presents at 1:23am. No carpet in the apartment or rug. I can hear full conversations, can identify what TV show they're watching. They drop things, parents scream at the children. We've attempted to talk to them 4x. Have given up.

My spouse reached out to the landlord after recording them at all hours being loud before calling the cops because I have a $500 test to take. If I fail, pay $260 over and over until I do pass.

Landlord said... go to a library. And that he's known the upstairs tenant since he acquired the building, he's a good guy. He can't discriminate against kids.

I get it. But man. It's freezing outside, I'm told to leave to cope. He can't discriminate. Whatever. I'm over it. Until our lease is up for renewal. Than I'm moving on and not renewing.

Old 03-16-2017, 12:04 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,114,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsboost View Post
Did you let him know it bothered you? Just wondering if he was aware. Some people are oblivious and not intentionally jerks.
I saw him screaming at a neighbor of ours through the window one day about something. He was just a really scary guy and I didn't want to even bring myself to his attention. The less he knew about me the better. He was the type who would flip his lid if you so much as glanced in his direction.

Old 03-17-2017, 12:42 PM

306 posts, read 365,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGal7 View Post
I saw him screaming at a neighbor of ours through the window one day about something. He was just a really scary guy and I didn't want to even bring myself to his attention. The less he knew about me the better. He was the type who would flip his lid if you so much as glanced in his direction.
Heh. Never mind then.

Old 03-17-2017, 01:07 PM

497 posts, read 484,303 times
Many years ago I had the same issue with a neighbor in an apartment. The bass was so loud things vibrated off the kitchen counter. I tried police, they said no one answered, tried management, they did nothing. One night I went over and banged on the door and no one would answer. I finally had enough and pulled his fuse block and threw it over the wall. Maybe not so legal, but it never happened again.

Old 01-27-2018, 08:00 PM

99 posts, read 82,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandr01 View Post
So my neighbor's been cranking up the woofer and I've had to file several complaints on this to the apartment building front desk. It's not just the woofer noise its the vibrations as well, we share a common wall and the neighbor has the speaker system setup on this. I've had to call the police in an afternoon only for them to tell me that they can't do much unless its after 10 pm. I'm going to raise this issue with the building management, not sure how much it's going to help but is the city law really that negligent towards people who are loud within normal hours?
Here's the sad truth: Police have to follow exact laws, so they're right about the 10 o'clock rule. Your management, on the other hand, can step in but won't unless you're super, duper lucky. Mine won't, and I've tried for almost a year. We even had a mediation, they were fined, but fine was reversed when they threatened court action. Because management is retarded, they fell for it. We had proof, by the way, just not that specific incident, but we had proof from other days. So if your management handles this correctly, consider yourself very, very lucky.

I have the same issue, by the way- woofers that crank the bass to constant floor rumbling levels. Same bs with speaker system that is in no way appropriate for an apt building. I'm supposed to have quiet enjoyment all day, and I think say, 4 hours of constant rumbling is unacceptable, but apparently, I'm wrong. That's why bad neighbors, like yours, keep getting away with it. I'm sorry for your pain

Old 01-27-2018, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubconsciousMe View Post
Similar problem.

We live in a beautiful basement apartment. 2 toddlers above us, third on the way. Parents not parenting at any hour. They opened Christmas presents at 1:23am. No carpet in the apartment or rug. I can hear full conversations, can identify what TV show they're watching. They drop things, parents scream at the children. We've attempted to talk to them 4x. Have given up.

My spouse reached out to the landlord after recording them at all hours being loud before calling the cops because I have a $500 test to take. If I fail, pay $260 over and over until I do pass.

Landlord said... go to a library. And that he's known the upstairs tenant since he acquired the building, he's a good guy. He can't discriminate against kids.

I get it. But man. It's freezing outside, I'm told to leave to cope. He can't discriminate. Whatever. I'm over it. Until our lease is up for renewal. Than I'm moving on and not renewing.
That's the smartest thing to do if you can afford to move. You'll never win against people like that. And its bs- can't discriminate? I've been told the same thing, though actually, we ALL have a right to quiet enjoyment, meaning no prolonged, constant noise that is not necessary. For you- opening presents at 1:23 AM is not something you should deal with. Neither is loud TV volume- that can be lowered.

I have the same volume situation. Constant rumbling, thumping, video gaming, movie audio, literally you can feel it through the floors. Management has no good solutions except to ask other neighbors who don't live directly above him, so they have no input. And hes' not legally too loud, so I have no recourse. Seriously, it's no wonder bad neighbors win. I hope you have better luck if you move.

Old 01-27-2018, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Hang in there. There are many threads about this problem. If you use Google you'll also find a lot of discussions about noisy neighbors. When I joined City-Data several years ago, I posted about a problem with neighbors who chained their dogs in the yard every night. I worked on my feet all day and almost passed out from exhaustion, because I couldn't get any sleep. The police said they couldn't do anything and to call Animal Control. I love dogs, but I was desperate. So I called Animal Control and was told to call the police. So I know exactly what this means.
You have my sympathies. When you work so hard all day, it sucks to have dogs barking all night. I'm a dog owner but I specifically adopted an older dog who almost never barks. Most people don't know I have a dog in fact. But you're right; you call one place, they refer elsewhere. That place sends you back to the police. For me, it's been an on-going battle with police and management, until the neighbor went nuts on management (causing them to drop the claim against him), while making him more belligerent towards me. So it's tough- I agree. It's no wonder our country's in the shape it's in with so many inhuman people.

Old 01-28-2018, 10:37 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,707,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandr01 View Post
I had called 311 in the afternoon, the police came but they talked to me instead and let me know about noise ordinance and that they can't do anything unless they're being loud within the hours of 10 pm - 8 am

I had the same experience with CPD. My upstairs neighbor was blasting noise from their electric guitar amp. The photos on my wall were rattling.

Tried speaking to the neighbor, but was essentially told "it's a big city and we live in an apartment, so deal with it".

Old 01-28-2018, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I had the same experience with CPD. My upstairs neighbor was blasting noise from their electric guitar amp. The photos on my wall were rattling.

Tried speaking to the neighbor, but was essentially told "it's a big city and we live in an apartment, so deal with it".
Yup, same thing here. Entire weekend, blasting bass. Knows to turn it down (not off) by 10, so it's just annoying enough but not illegal. Now, I have my TV volume cranked high. Doesn't drown out his d***bag, electro nonsense, but at least my TV's louder than the bass. I did, however, leave a note for next door neighbor, let me know if you can hear my TV. Not fair for him to suffer, after all.

That's what these sociopaths say- deal with it, it's my right to do what I want and that's apt living. You can't win with these people. Management and police will encourage us to leave rather than deal with a crazy, delusional or sociopathic person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago