Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 12:14 PM

42 posts, read 66,512 times

Advertisements

Hello!

We are considering buying a 3Bed 2bath condo/town home in Chicago. We live in a highrise in lakeview but the assessments in high rises are ridiculous so considering buying a property west of the lake. Our budget is in the range of $400K - $500K and the only areas where we could find decent sized 3bed apartments with washer dryer in unit and good space with parking were in Humboldt park and the neighborhoods around there. Up on the northside we were told it can get more expensive. Any insight into good neighborhoods with access to public transport/grocery store/restaurants etc.

Appreciate the help and insight from the group.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2017, 12:18 PM

14,801 posts, read 17,622,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subodhlath View Post
Hello!

We are considering buying a 3Bed 2bath condo/town home in Chicago. We live in a highrise in lakeview but the assessments in high rises are ridiculous so considering buying a property west of the lake. Our budget is in the range of $400K - $500K and the only areas where we could find decent sized 3bed apartments with washer dryer in unit and good space with parking were in Humboldt park and the neighborhoods around there. Up on the northside we were told it can get more expensive. Any insight into good neighborhoods with access to public transport/grocery store/restaurants etc.

Appreciate the help and insight from the group.

Thanks!

Look in Edgewater and Lincoln Square. You should be able find a lot of options in that range.

This is in a great location.

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Chicago/14.../home/12806557

Old 01-11-2017, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Look in Edgewater and Lincoln Square. You should be able find a lot of options in that range.

This is in a great location.

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Chicago/14.../home/12806557
We lived on Foster and Sheridan for a few months 3yrs ago, we were very new to chicago and it seemed to get a little skechy in the evenings. Maybe it was just being paranoid having just moved to chicago and US from India. This seems very close to where we lived before. For now we were looking to not go north of Montrose but maybe we should consider... any thoughts on this appreciate...

Old 01-11-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
We lived on Foster and Sheridan for a few months 3yrs ago, we were very new to chicago and it seemed to get a little skechy in the evenings. Maybe it was just being paranoid having just moved to chicago and US from India. This seems very close to where we lived before. For now we were looking to not go north of Montrose but maybe we should consider... any thoughts on this appreciate...
The linked condo is not like Sheridan at all. It is the heart of Andersonville. Did you find that shady or did you never venture over to Clark Street?

Old 01-11-2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
The linked condo is not like Sheridan at all. It is the heart of Andersonville. Did you find that shady or did you never venture over to Clark Street?
Honestly we did not venture out around Clark street too much while we were on Sheridan. Do you agree the area near Sheridan can be a little skechy? Have been to a couple of restaurants in that area and liked the vibe. Will check more properties on Redfin and other sites. Do you live around that area and can give more insight?

Thanks!

Old 01-11-2017, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Honestly we did not venture out around Clark street too much while we were on Sheridan. Do you agree the area near Sheridan can be a little skechy? Have been to a couple of restaurants in that area and liked the vibe. Will check more properties on Redfin and other sites. Do you live around that area and can give more insight?

Thanks!
I lived in Edgewater (Andersonville section) for over 10 years until a few years ago. We absolutely loved it. West of the El is very different from the Sheridan side. I agree it can feel shady over there, but I never really felt unsafe, especially not west of the Red line. We only moved because we were looking for a single family home and couldn't really afford the area.

Old 01-11-2017, 01:40 PM

306 posts, read 363,603 times
Quote:
Do you agree the area near Sheridan can be a little skechy?
Not IMO, but I grew up in the area. If you're talking Kenmore/Winthrop and Thorndale/Granville then I'd say yes. Andersonville is the neighborhood I hang out in most often (I'm in Edgewater) and would be in my top five neighborhoods to live in if I had a chance to move. The only thing that's not ideal about it is its distance from downtown if you need to take the CTA to work. The condo Vlajos linked to is in a great location.

Old 01-11-2017, 02:28 PM

201 posts, read 275,960 times
Have you looked at Bridgeport/McKinley Park at all? I think 500k would go a little further there and you wouldn't have too much trouble checking your transit/grocery/restaurant boxes there.

Old 01-11-2017, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsboost View Post
Not IMO, but I grew up in the area. If you're talking Kenmore/Winthrop and Thorndale/Granville then I'd say yes. Andersonville is the neighborhood I hang out in most often (I'm in Edgewater) and would be in my top five neighborhoods to live in if I had a chance to move. The only thing that's not ideal about it is its distance from downtown if you need to take the CTA to work. The condo Vlajos linked to is in a great location.
Checked Redfin but could not find any other property in Andersonville area, I will check again. Definitely considering that part of town for sure. But any thoughts on the Humboldt park, Wicker Park, West Town area? Saw some new properties in that area.. the postings looked decent...

Old 01-11-2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark&Addison View Post
Have you looked at Bridgeport/McKinley Park at all? I think 500k would go a little further there and you wouldn't have too much trouble checking your transit/grocery/restaurant boxes there.
Honestly, I did not know where Bridgeport/McKinley park was and had to google it.. My wife works in a school around irving park and ashland and does not want to travel more than 25-30mins. Pretty sure the travel would be much more than 30mins for her from either Bridgeport or McKinley park. Thanks for the suggestion!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago