Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 03:14 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,672,141 times

Advertisements

I have never heard of these private bars until today. They've been around a long time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2017, 03:41 PM

201 posts, read 277,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
I have never heard of these private bars until today. They've been around a long time?
I think most of the ones that actually fit the bill of the traditional "Neighborhood Social Club", the oldschool ones like most I mentioned earlier and I'm guessing the ones the OP mentioned/was referring to, have been around for 50+ years and are probably a lot less active and numerous now.

I have no idea how long "Key Clubs" have been a thing for, they seem to serve another purpose. Also not familiar with Birch Road but that looks like a newer thing and something a little bit different.

Old 01-14-2017, 08:32 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,178,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark&Addison View Post
Damba, maybe you can confirm but I'm pretty sure the one at 3332 Irving is called "Fort Irving" and 3456 might just be called "The Key Club", never actually been to either though. From my understanding "Key Clubs" are basically private bars that are open after regular bars close so bartenders and the like have a place to drink.

OP, I think Gaelic Fire Brigade is a social club for Union (aka all) Chicago Fire Fighters. There is also a Northside Fire Brigade, same idea.

Fairly certain there are a bunch of other clubs on the south side like Hamburg Athletic Club and Flags club, pretty sure there is a Canaryville Athletic Club and maybe some in Beverly, I'm from the North Side so not an expert by any means. Sort of like neighborhood fraternities.

On the North side, there is Lakeview Men's Club which is pretty public knowledge and just a private bar near Wrigley, a friend is a member. Also Rodam Social Club is one I have heard of doing some charity stuff. I know there is one called McWhinney Benevolent Association and I think there might be another one on Southport?

I'm sure there are some on the North West side but don't really know anything about them. I feel like I remember an article about one getting in some trouble or something a while back.
There is one in LP about a half block from Southport.

Old 01-14-2017, 12:49 PM

62 posts, read 79,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by &mpersand View Post
There's one in Smith Park. The Huron Social Club on the NW corner of Campbell and Huron.
Interesting. I walked past one time and they had their door open and I saw a big bar inside. Was curious what that was. Can't find any info about them on Google.

Old 01-14-2017, 07:50 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,275,688 times
A lot of the Italian one's have or at least historically have had close affiliations with the mob -- LOL. No joke.

Old 03-21-2017, 11:38 AM

467 posts, read 1,890,438 times
I was a member of the club on 3456 W Irving Park from about 2002-2007, when I was in my mid-20s. One night, my friend and I were at a bar in Lincoln Park, and we struck up a conversion with another guy at the bar. He ultimately told us about the club and invited us to go with him that night. Later on, we both became members. It's very similar to a regular bar. You drink, play pool, etc., except that it never closes. The windows are blacked out so you have no concept of what time it is. There were plenty of times when we stumbled out of that place at 7 or 8am very drunk, squinting at the harsh daylight. I haven't been back in years, but I think I still have the key somewhere.

Old 03-22-2017, 08:48 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,672,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
I was a member of the club on 3456 W Irving Park from about 2002-2007, when I was in my mid-20s. One night, my friend and I were at a bar in Lincoln Park, and we struck up a conversion with another guy at the bar. He ultimately told us about the club and invited us to go with him that night. Later on, we both became members. It's very similar to a regular bar. You drink, play pool, etc., except that it never closes. The windows are blacked out so you have no concept of what time it is. There were plenty of times when we stumbled out of that place at 7 or 8am very drunk, squinting at the harsh daylight. I haven't been back in years, but I think I still have the key somewhere.
Sounds fun. These still exist?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago