Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 12:02 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,460,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
I concur, and have had similar experiences visiting Detroit.

Much of the train of reasoning I see posted why Detroit and Chicago should be considered 'the same' (erroneously, may I add) is because of the segregation and presence of socioeconomically disadvantaged persons in large numbers.
Segregation??? LOL!! There has to be something to segregate before you can call a city segregated. Detroit is like 85% African American and poor. It's homogeneous, not segregated.

Old 01-26-2017, 12:52 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,873,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Have you actually been to Detroit? Their neighborhood just outside of the downtown (their version of our South and West Loop essentially) is just like Englewood. I know this because I was there last year and went to buy a good Cabernet Sauvignon and some Brie at the liquor establishment nearest my classic river front hotel. I ended up in a total chaotic ghetto scene that would have put a Rothchild in south Austin to shame. I rushed out of there with some packaged pickles, Slim Jim's and MGD.

And if you go outside that "nice" area it gets worse, to the point where it's reverting back to Prairie. There is a huge difference I'm sorry.
I have been to Detroit a handful of times when I was living in Michigan. Downtown, around the ballpark, and to the area around Wayne State university. I completely agree with you that it thins out quickly, and overall there are many more nice neighborhoods and sections in Chicago compared to Detroit. Chicago is a world class city, despite some of its problems, so on that front, they aren't comparable.

I was saying that a bad neighborhood in Chicago isn't going to be much "nicer" than a bad neighborhood in Detroit. There isn't much difference between a bad neighborhood in Chicago, or Detroit, or St. Louis, or Baltimore, etc.

Old 01-26-2017, 01:56 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,460,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I have been to Detroit a handful of times when I was living in Michigan. Downtown, around the ballpark, and to the area around Wayne State university. I completely agree with you that it thins out quickly, and overall there are many more nice neighborhoods and sections in Chicago compared to Detroit. Chicago is a world class city, despite some of its problems, so on that front, they aren't comparable.

I was saying that a bad neighborhood in Chicago isn't going to be much "nicer" than a bad neighborhood in Detroit. There isn't much difference between a bad neighborhood in Chicago, or Detroit, or St. Louis, or Baltimore, etc.
Bad is bad, true, But nowhere else matches the barren desolation of some parts of Detroit. Those areas look like a twisted urban version of Little House on the Prairie, only instead of the friendly Ingalls and Oleson families you have Seven Mile Bloods and Almighty Vice Lords.

Chicago has some tough areas, don't get me wrong, and I'm not saying we don't have some serious blight. We just don't have anything that looks as bad as the worst parts of the Motor City. No way.

Old 01-27-2017, 07:19 AM

672 posts, read 757,535 times
Detroit does seem to be a sore point for Chicagoans. I'd personally like to see Detroit reinvent itself and help elevate the Great Lakes region to match its grand architecture and historical vision.

Old 01-27-2017, 07:26 AM

1,795 posts, read 1,877,896 times
Detroit has way more issues than Chicago. The problem with Chicago is Rahm he is a horrible mayor. I agree Chicago is a world class city and offers more than Detroit in everything.

Last edited by Vanderbiltgrad; 01-27-2017 at 07:50 AM..

Old 01-27-2017, 07:36 AM

1,022 posts, read 774,263 times
Rahm is an embarrassment. Not only do people here hate him but wow all the endless comments I see from people all over talking about him and asking how can Chicago support such a person and make him Mayor and what a disgrace he is to our city and on and on!

Old 01-27-2017, 08:05 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,104,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prhill View Post
Rahm is an embarrassment. Not only do people here hate him but wow all the endless comments I see from people all over talking about him and asking how can Chicago support such a person and make him Mayor and what a disgrace he is to our city and on and on!
Here's an answer - has to do with who the other running candidates are.

While anyone can claim some other person can do a better job than Rahm, it's really the other running candidates that people had to choose from. And Daley was not 1 of them. Daley did not run for election.

Old 01-27-2017, 08:41 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,950,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealIRC View Post
Here's an answer - has to do with who the other running candidates are.

While anyone can claim some other person can do a better job than Rahm, it's really the other running candidates that people had to choose from. And Daley was not 1 of them. Daley did not run for election.
Daley opted to not run for re-election because he knew that the next Mayor would be saddled with huge pension deficits incurred under him (Daley). In other words, Daley ran up the credit card debt, and left his successor to clean up the mess.

Old 01-27-2017, 08:49 AM

1,022 posts, read 774,263 times
oakparkdude What does that have to do with the horrible job the Mayor has done and the crime issue in the South Side? The Mayor has done nothing in over a year now. We need trump to come in and fix it because he seems to care more than our own Mayor!

Old 01-27-2017, 08:58 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,104,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prhill View Post
oakparkdude What does that have to do with the horrible job the Mayor has done and the crime issue in the South Side? The Mayor has done nothing in over a year now. We need trump to come in and fix it because he seems to care more than our own Mayor!
So here's the reverse question - just before Bill Clinton left office, the national debt just started going down. And what has Bush done to stop that? The debt kept getting bigger and bigger. And then, Bush gave himself a raise. The president's salary at the time Bush came to office was 2xx,xxx/year and he essentially doubled it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago