Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 02:03 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,712,713 times

Advertisements

Couples, do you and your significant other both have cars in the city?

I just moved to Chicago and am debating on whether I should sell my car before I need to pay $200 to switch over plates, and pay $100 for a city sticker.

My girlfriend and I both have cars that are paid off. We walk or take transit to work. Part of me wants to sell my car because it's only a few years old and seems like a waste for it to only be driven once or twice a week. But the other part of me can't imagine not having a car.

I guess I could keep it for a few more weeks. If it's still sitting for days at a time, I might sell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2017, 02:16 PM

2,756 posts, read 4,413,441 times
Where do you live?

What are your finances like?

Can you and your girlfriend "share" a car?

Many live without cars. I found having a car most useful for running larger volume shopping errands, for some weekend/evening activities, and driving out of the city. But I'm single. If in a couple, I would very much favor only one car.

Old 02-26-2017, 03:22 PM

2,561 posts, read 2,182,136 times
How close are you to grocery stores and other places you go regularly, your gym, your favorite places to eat or shop, etc?

I had a roommate a few years ago that never had a car. He always took the El to work and we lived 3 blocks from Jewel. He and his wife still don't have a car and they live about two blocks from Mariano's now. He walks to work. She takes the El. It's doable depending on your lifestyle. Neither of them have family nearby, so they either hop on a plane or rent a car for a day or two to see family a couple times a year.

Even after I changed jobs and commuted downtown every day, I would have found it difficult to not have a car. I often went to a gym quite far away during the winter. My parents are in the near south suburbs, and it would take quite a long time on public transit to visit them every few weeks. My cousin on the other hand never drives, and will take whatever means of public transit necessary to see family in the suburbs.

Old 02-26-2017, 03:35 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,862,711 times
I don't have one and don't miss it at all. I live on the near north side and walk to work in the Loop, and mostly take taxis or public transportation.

Old 02-26-2017, 05:23 PM

1,343 posts, read 1,372,801 times
We downsized to one car when we moved back to Chicago from Texas, and with public transportation, it's been fine. If we did not have a dog and if we lived more central (instead of Beverly), we might not need one at all -- but it is nice to have one for quick trips to the forest preserves and such.

Old 02-26-2017, 06:20 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,405,419 times
We had one, and we drove it *maybe* once a month. We certainly didn't need two. My husband worked just outside the loop and I worked in Evanston.

Old 02-26-2017, 07:27 PM

27 posts, read 27,549 times
We kept ours and we use it on average about once a week to go grocery shopping. Our condo came with a parking spot and the monthly fee is wrapped up in the assessments so we don't think about it much. Personally, I like having it. It's paid off, so the cost of insurance and monthly parking is probably not much more than if we took cabs around town for our weekend errands. When I was much younger and living in Chicago, owning a car took a bigger chunk of my income therefore it was a huge relief to sell it. It really depends on how big a bite it takes from your budget. Sounds like it wouldn't hurt to keep yours.

Old 02-26-2017, 09:24 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,712,713 times
So based on the responses I'm getting, I'd say we may be okay with sharing a car.

Old 02-26-2017, 11:02 PM

796 posts, read 931,038 times
my sister lives in west town, and she and her husband have only had one car since they have been married which has been over 6 years now.

I live on the south side with my two kids, and my wife moved to texas for work in january. we have always had 2 cars. even though I have worked from home for the past 3.5 years. when she was here, she worked in the south suburbs, so she had to have a car. if I were alone, I could suvive without a car. I live within walking distance of the redline and grocery store, but with kids a car is a necessity IMO.

of course living on the north side vs living on the south side is two totally different situations. for instance, my block has ample street parking to the point where you can ALWAYS park in front of my house no matter what even tho I have a garage. but on the north side, you may or may not be able to park on the street easily and you likely won't have a garage if you're renting.

Old 02-27-2017, 07:25 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
So based on the responses I'm getting, I'd say we may be okay with sharing a car.
That should work very well. Can't imagine having two cars in your situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago