Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 08:49 AM

1,258 posts, read 2,447,289 times

Advertisements

I live in North Center right now but I'm looking to get a studio or 1 BR (really anything where I live alone) with a 30 minute commute to the loop. The usual neighborhoods I hear about are Lakeview, Lincoln Park, South Loop, West Loop, Logan Square, Pilsen. I think I'm priced out of South and West Loop at this price point and I don't want to live in Pilsen. Are there any other neighborhoods I should be considering? Any idea in which of these neighborhoods my money would go the farthest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2017, 08:55 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,104,651 times
Chicago.Craigslist.org.

Set the max value to 1100.

Old 01-27-2017, 09:14 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,170,326 times
If you live in the NE corner of Hyde Park, the #6 express bus will get you to Madison and Michigan in under 20 minutes, leaving you plenty of time to walk to your final destination for a total trip time under 30 minutes. And you'd be close to the Lake and Hyde Park has a lot more going on than it used to. It's not Lakeview, but it's not dead.

Rogers Park near the Metra stop would give you a 30 minute commute if your office is near Ogilvie station.

Living near Lake/Harlem in Oak Park and using Metra could also give you a 30 minute commute if your office is near Ogilvie.

Bridgeport if you're near Archer could give you a 30 minute commute. Same for McKinley Park.

Tri-Taylor area would probably work, too.

There are a few old, tiny studio buildings in the Gold Coast near Division that have studios you could afford. But they would be small. But convenient.

Old 01-27-2017, 11:32 AM

2,694 posts, read 3,190,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete6032 View Post
I live in North Center right now but I'm looking to get a studio or 1 BR (really anything where I live alone) with a 30 minute commute to the loop. The usual neighborhoods I hear about are Lakeview, Lincoln Park, South Loop, West Loop, Logan Square, Pilsen. I think I'm priced out of South and West Loop at this price point and I don't want to live in Pilsen. Are there any other neighborhoods I should be considering? Any idea in which of these neighborhoods my money would go the farthest?
You can certainly still get studios in Lincoln Park and Lakeview for $1100 or less, but it also depends on what you're looking for in a building. Does it need to be a newer or recently renovated building with lots of amenities, or is an older building with a non-updated apartment ok?

Also looking at Uptown or Edgewater would bring you into one bedroom territory in addition to studios, while making a 30 minute commute still feasible so long as you look at areas near the Red Line and your job not being far from a station downtown. Buena Park in Uptown, for example, would give you the option of taking the Red Line or the 148 express in the mornings, which will get onto LSD right at Irving Park and exit onto Michigan.

Last edited by PerseusVeil; 01-27-2017 at 11:35 AM.. Reason: Confusion

Old 01-27-2017, 08:47 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,234,310 times
You can actually find apartments for under $1100 in all of these neighborhoods, so long as your expectations are reasonable.

You don't HAVE to have central AC and a dishwasher and a loft style apartment with a balcony and a rooftop dog park.

It all comes down to what is more important to you--the commute time or the amenities when you are at home?

Old 01-28-2017, 08:51 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,873,004 times
Quote:
You can definitely find studios for $1,100 in all of the neighborhoods you listed. Craigslist is the best place to start, but walking around the neighborhood in Lakeview, you can find "for rent" signs all over the place, and there is so much housing available there, that you should be able to find some options that may not be advertised online. So I would suggest strolling around the neighborhoods you are interested in to find some non-advertised options. To answer your original question though, you can definitely find at least a studio for 1100 in the neighborhoods you've listed.

Old 01-28-2017, 07:26 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,618,955 times
Quote:
Yeah, I think you are right when you say you'll be priced out of South and West Loop. I don't remember ever seeing any apartments for $1100 and under.

I would go with lincoln park, followed by logan square and lakeview. Look up BJB properties. They have a lot of nice buildings in Chicago that meet your price range.

Old 01-28-2017, 08:02 PM

97 posts, read 138,255 times
Little village

Old 01-29-2017, 01:05 AM

103 posts, read 151,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonytime224 View Post
Little village
If he doesn't want Pilsen, he is really not going to want Little Village.

Let's stop plugging Little Village, we don't want it to prematurely gentrify.

AKA I can't afford to buy there yet so keep it under the radar

Old 01-31-2017, 10:50 AM

3,924 posts, read 6,836,808 times
Check Domu.com too! There are great tools on Domu that make searching very convenient!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago