Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 03:04 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times

Advertisements

I should think a lot of young couples like a well-priced adorable bungalow that's been properly updated. I heart them anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 03:54 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,634,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
What is so great about bungalows (or 'bungholes' as we call them). They do abosolutely zero for property values and no family is going to come to a new neighborhood looking for a 100 year old building that is an eye sore. There's one on my street that I pray will be sold so someone will demolish it.

Progress and development is the way.
I sure hope the devil gave you a good price for that soul of yours.

Old 03-06-2008, 04:44 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
You can't come into a Chicago forum and start trashing craftsman bungalows. That's like going into a Brooklyn forum and trashing brownstones.

And you're dead wrong about property values. Studies have shown that property values are actually higher in neighborhoods where the historic character of the neighborhood is preserved. In fact, I saw that a bungalow went for $900,000 is Ravenswood Manor before the market tanked, so obviously many people value them. You'd never get that price-per-square-foot on a McMansion!

Old 03-06-2008, 08:18 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
God please strike this troll already.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by july View Post
I have to agree, the bungalows are ugly, historic though they may be.
I dont understand how anyone can call bungalows ugly..i realize its not everyones thing, but come on. and if you go into the right neighborhoods, some are downright extravagant

You can keep that condo or McMansion. I will take the simple comforts of a Chicago bungalow any day of the week. Stained glass windows, terra cotta, intricate handlaid brick patterns, limestone foundation, and built like a rock...tell me how many "luxury" townhomes going up today can boast that.

Last edited by mdz; 03-07-2008 at 06:46 AM.. Reason: you can post the links for the pictures, but unless you own them, don't post them

Old 03-06-2008, 08:34 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
I dont understand how anyone can call bungalows ugly..i realize its not everyones thing, but come on. and if you go into the right neighborhoods, some are downright extravagant

You can keep that condo or McMansion. I will take the simple comforts of a Chicago bungalow any day of the week. They've been standing for almost 100 years, and will still be standing another 100 from now with next to little visible wear. Wonder if you can say that about the crappy new construction going up everywhere.
Case closed.

Old 03-07-2008, 12:39 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Someone help me reconcile the disconnect between being so utterly clueless and yet still possessing sufficient wherewithal to spew nonsense onto internet forums...

Old 03-07-2008, 06:18 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,038,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
You can't come into a Chicago forum and start trashing craftsman bungalows. That's like going into a Brooklyn forum and trashing brownstones.

And you're dead wrong about property values. Studies have shown that property values are actually higher in neighborhoods where the historic character of the neighborhood is preserved. In fact, I saw that a bungalow went for $900,000 is Ravenswood Manor before the market tanked, so obviously many people value them. You'd never get that price-per-square-foot on a McMansion!

And I can go find some swampland in Florida that will cost you about $5,000,000 per sq foot. Big deal. What's your point. There are plenty of bungalows in Lincoln Park that would sell for $900K+. Why do you think that is? It's certainly not because someone is buying it for it's beauty and historic charm. It' because someone sees the potential of the land and location and they're going to demo the thing as soon as they permits are granted.
My point is, if you want to live on a street full of bungholes, fine. As for me, I want my property values to go up so when I go to sell my house, I make some nice coin.

Old 03-07-2008, 06:49 AM

Quote:
My point is, if you want to live on a street full of bungholes, fine. As for me, I want my property values to go up so when I go to sell my house, I make some nice coin.
Then you might want to consider living elsewhere. You exemplify everything that is ruining once great, liveable neighborhoods.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:01 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Quote:
And I can go find some swampland in Florida that will cost you about $5,000,000 per sq foot. Big deal. What's your point. There are plenty of bungalows in Lincoln Park that would sell for $900K+. Why do you think that is? It's certainly not because someone is buying it for it's beauty and historic charm. It' because someone sees the potential of the land and location and they're going to demo the thing as soon as they permits are granted.
Have you even ever been to Chicago?!? There are no bungalows in Lincoln Park! I dont' think there's even a single one. Do you even know what a Chicago Bunglaow is?

And yes, Lincoln Park IS valuable real estate in large part because of it's historic charm. If it were land close to the Loop people were interested in, there are plenty of other options that are more convenient and allow new construction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago