Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 11:14 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,844,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
As of the 2010 census, and I imagine the Chinese population has only been growing since then, in the Bridgeport area, north of 31st averages over half asian. Between 31st and 35th average between 1/4 and 1/3 asian. Between 35th and Pershing was between 15% and 20% asian. The area around UIC is also about 1/4 asian and the north part of Bronzeville average between 15-30% asian depending on the block. And most of the edge areas near Chinatown grew their asian population by more than 100% between 2000 and 2010, while hispanics and white population declined in those areas.

In the inner Central Area, which I'll define as Chicago Ave, Halsted St, the Lake, and, say, 18th Street, asian population averages about 15%, with triple-digit percentage growth across the board between 2000 and 2010. Argyle Street area is only about 15% asian. The North Park area is about 1/4 asian. Devon Ave area is about 1/3 asian, although I imagine that's mostly South Asian and not East Asian. Interestingly, the edge areas of Naperville - the parts that have grown the most recently, are 15-30% asian, again probably mostly South Asian.
But aren't the largest numbers of Asian-Americans in the northern suburbs, like Evanston, Northbrook, Skokie, etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2017, 02:10 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,149,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
But aren't the largest numbers of Asian-Americans in the northern suburbs, like Evanston, Northbrook, Skokie, etc?

Suburban Asians in Cook slightly outnumber their city counterparts, which is the reverse for Hispanics and Blacks. It also varies by ethnic group. Chinese are mostly in the city, and over half are concentrated in just these 4 community areas- Armour Square, Bridgeport, McKinley Park, and Brighton Park. Filipinos are more represented in the suburbs. I think the largest share of Indians in the suburbs are actually in Dupage County.

Old 04-30-2017, 06:38 PM

4,620 posts, read 8,118,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Suburban Asians in Cook slightly outnumber their city counterparts, which is the reverse for Hispanics and Blacks. It also varies by ethnic group. Chinese are mostly in the city, and over half are concentrated in just these 4 community areas- Armour Square, Bridgeport, McKinley Park, and Brighton Park. Filipinos are more represented in the suburbs. I think the largest share of Indians in the suburbs are actually in Dupage County.
This is all anecdotal, but 90% of my Indian coworkers with kids live in Dupage County. About 75% of those without kids live downtown Chicago. The remainder are scattered about, but in nicer parts of either the city or suburbs.

Old 05-01-2017, 07:59 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,396,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
This is all anecdotal, but 90% of my Indian coworkers with kids live in Dupage County. About 75% of those without kids live downtown Chicago. The remainder are scattered about, but in nicer parts of either the city or suburbs.
So are you saying he should not be counting our Asians before they hatch? LOL!

Old 05-02-2017, 11:19 AM

36,917 posts, read 38,864,790 times
I was looking at Chicago on Google Maps, and it sort of looks to me like the contiguous livable AND urban parts of Chicago with some notable exceptions, are basically four miles from the lakeshore within city limits from the north side down to a border of maybe 24th, 31st or 35th street with the western fringes being more suburban on the north and rough on the south and more scattered in general on the southern fringe.

Basically, gentrification and urbanity is toeing a line in the south and about four miles in to the west.

Old 05-02-2017, 11:27 AM

103 posts, read 149,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I was looking at Chicago on Google Maps, and it sort of looks to me like the contiguous livable AND urban parts of Chicago with some notable exceptions, are basically four miles from the lakeshore within city limits from the north side down to a border of maybe 24th, 31st or 35th street with the western fringes being more suburban on the north and rough on the south and more scattered in general on the southern fringe.

Basically, gentrification and urbanity is toeing a line in the south and about four miles in to the west.
As a white dude who grew up in the south suburbs but has spent most of my time in Chicago on the South and West sides, in my mind, that southern line in the sand for gentrification is 47th street.

Old 05-02-2017, 04:40 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,151,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlong1991 View Post
As a white dude who grew up in the south suburbs but has spent most of my time in Chicago on the South and West sides, in my mind, that southern line in the sand for gentrification is 47th street.
I'd put it as far south as 71st. It'll be slow, but I think the south side will begin gentrifying much like the north side did in the 80s. The blocks closest to the lake will start to flip and make a slow crawl inland.

Old 05-03-2017, 12:42 AM

36,917 posts, read 38,864,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlong1991 View Post
Maybe in the future, but I don't think it's reached that far south yet. There are still a lot of sketchy or sleepy spots on the south side even with the borders I mentioned.

I think Chicago in-filling that region would require something like Crossrail Chicago where the Metra Electric District Line acted as an integrated part of the L. There's a very healthy and vibrant part of the South Side in Hyde Park and its surrounding neighborhoods and having that directly connected with frequent and affordable access to the rest of the city will greatly accelerate the filling in of everything between Hyde Park and downtown.

Old 05-08-2017, 10:51 AM

2,112 posts, read 1,131,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
I'd put it as far south as 71st. It'll be slow, but I think the south side will begin gentrifying much like the north side did in the 80s. The blocks closest to the lake will start to flip and make a slow crawl inland.
Doubt it's going to happen anytime soon. You'd have to have bronzeville and woodlawn gentrify before it even gets close to 71st and Bronzeville is years away, minimum 10 years. Even the northside of Chicago isn't gentrified all the way to 7100 North.

Old 05-08-2017, 11:03 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,151,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats Grobnick View Post
Doubt it's going to happen anytime soon. You'd have to have bronzeville and woodlawn gentrify before it even gets close to 71st and Bronzeville is years away, minimum 10 years. Even the northside of Chicago isn't gentrified all the way to 7100 North.
The north side is pretty much entirely gentrified. There are pockets of Uptown and Rogers Park that haven't flipped, but they're literal islands in a sea of gentrified neighborhoods.

I agree it'll be slow, but it'll happen. There are a lot of vacant parcels in Bronzeville and the surrounding areas that'll get built out first. Easily a few decades out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago