Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 01:49 PM

9 posts, read 35,555 times

Advertisements

Can I realistically survive in Lincoln Park on $1400 a month?? This is after paying rent and utilities. If anyone can answer that question or give any advice about the Lincoln Park area, that would be wonderful!! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 01:53 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
There are already 13,482 threads in the Chicago forum that deal specifically or partially with Lincoln Park and a perfectly efficient search function to sniff them out, so I'm not going to elaborate on the details. Whether you can get buy on $1,400/mo of disposable income is, of course, up to you and what your personal lifestyle demands are. But I can tell you that there are plenty of LP residents who wish they had that kind of cash left over after shelling out a mint every month to rent a phone booth.

Old 03-03-2008, 02:13 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
I guess it depends on if you have kids - they're expensive (esp. childcare I hear)

Old 03-03-2008, 02:16 PM

93 posts, read 367,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2LP View Post
Can I realistically survive in Lincoln Park on $1400 a month?? This is after paying rent and utilities. If anyone can answer that question or give any advice about the Lincoln Park area, that would be wonderful!! Thanks
No.

Lincoln Park is one of the most coveted areas to live in in the city of Chicago. You will have no rent left over from that 1400 + utilities.

You'd have to get a night job.

Old 03-03-2008, 02:19 PM

I have no kids.

I have a car, but no car payment and am fine with street parking.

& I probably won't be spending too much money going out at first because I'm not going to know a soul.

Old 03-03-2008, 02:29 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
i think youngurbanprofessional read the OP's query wrong.

What exactly are you worried will cost $1400?? Groceries for one would never be more than $75-100/week on the high end (assuming you don't eat caviar for breakfast, lunch and dinner). I'm sure you have other bills like car insurance, cell phone etc. maybe $200/month tops... That still leaves you with like $800/month (or $200 a week) to play with- you'll be FINE (Wish I had that kind of moolah!)

Old 03-03-2008, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
i think youngurbanprofessional read the OP's query wrong.

What exactly are you worried will cost $1400?? Groceries for one would never be more than $75-100/week on the high end (assuming you don't eat caviar for breakfast, lunch and dinner). I'm sure you have other bills like car insurance, cell phone etc. maybe $200/month tops... That still leaves you with like $800/month (or $200 a week) to play with- you'll be FINE (Wish I had that kind of moolah!)

I'm not sure what I think will be so expensive. I'm not from the area at all so I have been doing research online. Other online forums have people saying that there is no way a person could live comfortably on that amount of money in Lincoln Park.

Thanks for your help

Old 03-03-2008, 03:46 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,102,964 times
Quote:
I'm not sure what I think will be so expensive. I'm not from the area at all so I have been doing research online. Other online forums have people saying that there is no way a person could live comfortably on that amount of money in Lincoln Park.

Thanks for your help
That's over $300 dollars a week to spend on whatever you deem necessary.

But if you don't think you can afford that, there's always the time tested solution of not living in one of the most expensive neighborhoods in the city.

Old 03-03-2008, 03:46 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
I think that's because, as one person did in this thread, people are misreading you and thinking the $1400/mo will be your entire take-home pay with which to pay for everything including rent and utilities. And in that case, they'd be right -- it would be a tight and probably stressful experience. But if that's what you think you'll have left over after rent and utilities, you'll be just fine unless you're the type who just has to live the high life every night of the week.

Old 03-04-2008, 10:49 PM

53 posts, read 317,565 times
I think it depends on your age and gender and lifestyle. If you are a single guy, you'll have to watch it a little if you want to go on dates! (I know I know, some users on this forum will be horrified that I am suggesting that men pay for dates. Oh my gawd!) Dinner and the theater could easily blow your week's extra dough in one evening out. So you'll have to be a little careful and creative, but Lincoln Park really isn't that expensive. And you'll be in a great area for enjoying the great free things Chicago has to offer - especially with summer on the way. The zoo, the lake front, etc. Lincoln Park is geared for students in a lot of areas and so it has lots of inexpensive restaurants and bars that you can frequent when you want to go out but not blow your whole week's spending money. Tip: make your own coffee! I think it's worth the extra money to live in a nice safe neighborhood with easy access to the lake, but many others will and do disagree. You might even find that you could sell your car if you have one and then you'd have all that extra money, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: