Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 09:20 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,056,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
I hate when southsiders think the northside is just the transplant oriented Lincoln Park, Wicker, Lakeview, etc.

There's plenty of culture on the NS. We have a denser population with more multi family buildings which makes it easier for people to come and go.

Southside has a bunch of actual houses where people buy and commit to. So it has a more steady population.

and I don't feel it's a strange criteria. Without those streets it feels a bit isolated. Less outsiders pass through. That's a big thing.
Define North Side vs South Side because honestly from built form alone they aren't very different.

But if by North Side you mean the heavily gentrified, Midwest transplant haven then I am gonna have a hard time believing it represents Chicago the most accurate way despite built form. It's like thinking all of New York is like Williamsburg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2017, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunedin1 View Post
Given your characterization ... I'm assuming you're not a native Chicagoan, or lack much knowledge of the city.
Hahahaha. I am a native. Let's first define North Side and then we can continue this. Are we meaning Uptown? Rogers Park? Or Edgebrook? Or Forest Glen? Or Portage Park? Or Hermosa? What do we mean by North Side? Because if this includes Northwest side then that is a different story. Portage Park is where my best friend grew up and that is nothing like say, "South Logan Square" or "West Wicker Park" to really denote Humboldt Park. Or how a friend denoted Albany Park as "Ravenswood Manor" even though she was a block away from Lawrence and Kedzie. So maybe THAT Northside is more what you mean? Help me out here. I also went to Northeastern which is hardly a transplant college if you have any experience there. Basically a much higher end version of the Southwest Side's Daley College lol. That sounds harsh. More like a higher end version of Robert Morris University there we go haha.

Old 03-05-2017, 06:39 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,198,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Define North Side vs South Side because honestly from built form alone they aren't very different.

But if by North Side you mean the heavily gentrified, Midwest transplant haven then I am gonna have a hard time believing it represents Chicago the most accurate way despite built form. It's like thinking all of New York is like Williamsburg.
Albany park
Ravenswood
Uptown
Avondale
Irving park
Portgage
North park
Rogers
Hermosa
Edgewater

Old 03-05-2017, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Albany park
Ravenswood
Uptown
Avondale
Irving park
Portgage
North park
Rogers
Hermosa
Edgewater
Well a lot of that is the NW Side but OK. Anyway, how are those neighborhoods more representative of Chicago than the SE side?

Old 03-05-2017, 11:09 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,198,592 times
Density, Trains, Lack of industrial swaths of land, etc.

And if you're separating it from the rest of the north side then why are you asking why people separate the SE side when you separated from the rest of the southside

Old 03-05-2017, 11:18 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,104,365 times
When people think of far Southeast region that actually know it, they generally think of abandoned steel plants, windmills, coal mines, etc.

That's really not what people think about when they think about Chicago.

Old 03-05-2017, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealIRC View Post
When people think of far Southeast region that actually know it, they generally think of abandoned steel plants, windmills, coal mines, etc.

That's really not what people think about when they think about Chicago.
People associate Chicago with the Rust Belt all the time.

Old 03-05-2017, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Density, Trains, Lack of industrial swaths of land, etc.

And if you're separating it from the rest of the north side then why are you asking why people separate the SE side when you separated from the rest of the southside
I don't separate it from the South Side. I was wondering why others do.

Old 02-27-2018, 07:44 PM

6,377 posts, read 5,000,641 times
I think, culturally and environmentally, the far southeast side is the most distinct region of Chicago. There are abandoned or dying factories and steel mills everywhere you look. There are few to no large apartment buildings in sight. Everything's pretty quiet, without much gang activity or nightlife. There's minimal immigrant culture aside from some Latinos. Large chunks of the area are uninhabited, some with open prairie. It's a really cool place to be; it feels almost haunted.

Old 02-27-2018, 08:11 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,633,575 times
This guy put out a great photo book on the Calumet area

http://www.garycialdella.com/galleries#/calumet/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago