Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2009, 09:42 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,383,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Illinois 1 View Post
The bottom line is that, if you're poor, living in ANY city is miserable and if you are wealthy, life can be pretty good even in "miserable" cities. I am speaking in generalities here, but I don't that most of the people living up on the north shore in places like Highland Park, Lake Forest, or Winnetka feel too miserable about their living environment. Otherwise, they wouldn't pay millions to live there.
The same goes for many areas of the city itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2009, 12:04 PM

527 posts, read 1,244,828 times
Default I can't wait

I am not kidding, I will fire the first person I find at my work who blogs trite crap about Chicago while collecting a paycheck here...

Old 02-21-2009, 08:26 PM

10 posts, read 37,410 times
Chicago is awful and miserable. I missed $1.20 in tolls on the new I-355 extension, because, oh, sorry, I don't carry dollars in change with me. I tried to pay online later that day, like a responsible person, only to be told by the Website that, over the course of my life, I have used the Website more than 10 times and can't use it anymore. I then sent a $25 check and apology letter to the Downer's Grove headquarters, and then went to Italy for 6 months with my grandfather, as it is his homeland. When I came back, I found they replied to my $25 check offer with a $500 bill, and since I wasn't home to respond in a month, they then sent me $1800 in fines. I owe $1800 for $1.20 worth of tolls. How the hell am I supposed to do this? Who the HELL said this would be okay? "You can't use the website because you've used it more than ten times." Well nobody told me that first. Otherwise I would have taken side streets. This state is absolutely f*ing ridiculous. I really want to spread awareness of my situation. Can anybody help me?

Old 02-21-2009, 08:44 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Sure, I can help you: if you use the tollway often enough that you had to missed tolls online more than ten times, get an I-Pass.

Glad I could help.

Old 02-21-2009, 08:54 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,106,991 times
The article points to taxes, unemployment, housing costs. Well I have one sentence for you "Welcome To A World Class City" just b/c Chicago isn't number one in terms of population doesn't mean all the numbers have to correlate as well. Either change your vote or move, people get the government they deserve. If you elect tax raising lib's then don't be surprised when your taxes go up on the other side of the coin if you elect a penny pinching Republican don't be surprised if some services get trimmed or axed. You should elect conservatives just to be safe.

My second point, if your miserable in Chicago you will probably be miserable no matter where you go.

Old 02-22-2009, 01:56 AM

4,027 posts, read 7,288,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
The article points to taxes, unemployment, housing costs. Well I have one sentence for you "Welcome To A World Class City" just b/c Chicago isn't number one in terms of population doesn't mean all the numbers have to correlate as well. Either change your vote or move, people get the government they deserve. If you elect tax raising lib's then don't be surprised when your taxes go up on the other side of the coin if you elect a penny pinching Republican don't be surprised if some services get trimmed or axed. You should elect conservatives just to be safe.

My second point, if your miserable in Chicago you will probably be miserable no matter where you go.
People seem to forget that when voting.

It's going to be a long while before a Republican mayor is elected in Chicago.

Old 02-22-2009, 05:15 AM

226 posts, read 979,573 times
[SIZE=2]taxes? I thought IL has a low state income tax? isn't it 1% flat?
[/SIZE]

Old 02-22-2009, 07:59 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Every city is miserable if you don't have any money or a enjoyable career!
add to this, don't enjoy the culture ...

I am like this in the south :/

Only real issue with Chicago is the weather in Winter but... not a deal killer especially if you live in the city and don't have a car.
weather in Minnesota? well...that might be a deal killer.

Old 02-22-2009, 08:15 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,239,509 times
I love winter.

Old 02-22-2009, 10:02 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,743,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown97 View Post
Aint no place like chicago ...from having the best restaurants of all kinds of ethnic foods to the best downtown in the world .....my 2 : )
You haven't been to Houston... 4th largest city in America compared to Chicago at 3rd largest! Houston has better ethnic food, better fast food [more selection], better and cheaper groceries, and larger and better selection shopping malls!

I think I love Houston more than Chicago now...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago