Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 03:03 PM

512 posts, read 321,583 times

Advertisements

I don't understand what is so "dangerous" about La Villita? It may not be your scene, and you may not like people speaking in Spanish, but I don't think Little Village is any more dangerous than, say, Rogers Park (where I was actually robbed twice) or Edgewater (where I witnessed an assault). Oddly enough, I lived in La Villita three years, and I never saw or experienced crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2017, 11:49 AM

155 posts, read 160,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oramasfella View Post
I don't understand what is so "dangerous" about La Villita? It may not be your scene, and you may not like people speaking in Spanish, but I don't think Little Village is any more dangerous than, say, Rogers Park (where I was actually robbed twice) or Edgewater (where I witnessed an assault). Oddly enough, I lived in La Villita three years, and I never saw or experienced crime.
Someone slashed two tires on my car for reasons unknown (I am 100% sure this was not a personal vendetta because my social life is nowhere near that exciting) and was almost ran down on a two lane street by some crazy driving a-hole and I only lived in that area for THREE MONTHS. No thank you. People were acting crazy over there. Nothing like that has ever happened to me before in my entire lifespan of living in Chicago, and I have lived in almost every "side" (south side, Hyde Park, loop, Avondale, Bucktown, Lakeview). That was in 2015.

Old 03-10-2017, 03:15 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,320,406 times
Just yesterday I was perusing Chicago rental ads on craigslist and apartments.com. I was shocked. I only left Chicago a year and a half ago and I can't believe how much rents have skyrocketed in just that short time. Even in Humboldt Park, I only saw one listing below $1,000 -- and it was for $950. Looks like I won't be returning to Chicago anytime soon, sadly... not if doing so means I have to live in a "marginal" neighborhood.

Old 03-10-2017, 08:09 PM

9 posts, read 5,324 times
I've moved north over the years and rented. I love RP.. it's great. So much so that we bought a house here.
I've never heard a gunshot or witnessed a crime here. It's beaches are the best and a great place to be on the 4th of July. it's tranquil here and we can bike to Ravina then take a train home or Evanston, or Andersonville.. or just grab some life on Glenwood. always a treat. Need a little dive? The lighthouse is open.

Old 03-12-2017, 06:52 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,714,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
Just yesterday I was perusing Chicago rental ads on craigslist and apartments.com. I was shocked. I only left Chicago a year and a half ago and I can't believe how much rents have skyrocketed in just that short time. Even in Humboldt Park, I only saw one listing below $1,000 -- and it was for $950. Looks like I won't be returning to Chicago anytime soon, sadly... not if doing so means I have to live in a "marginal" neighborhood.
I'm really not sure why people have a problem with rent prices in Chicago. It's one of the largest cities in the country, yet the rent prices are half of what they'd be in NYC, LA, or San Francisco.

I can't believe I'm renting a 3br here for only $1200/mo. Just for comparison, I was paying around $1000 for a 1br in Dallas.

Old 03-13-2017, 03:29 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,320,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I'm really not sure why people have a problem with rent prices in Chicago. It's one of the largest cities in the country, yet the rent prices are half of what they'd be in NYC, LA, or San Francisco.
Or Boston, even. But give it time -- at the rate Chicago is going, it just might catch up to those places.

Old 03-13-2017, 04:24 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,714,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
Or Boston, even. But give it time -- at the rate Chicago is going, it just might catch up to those places.
Meh, I don't see that happening. The city is losing population. Only certain areas are dealing with fast rent increases. Other areas are pretty stable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago