Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 02:14 PM

28 posts, read 46,276 times

Advertisements

Hahaha,that's quite some honest speaking there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2017, 02:30 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,899,548 times
At least one way you will be right at home. The Illinois legislature runs it's finances effectively as does Greece.

Old 03-05-2017, 02:40 PM

2,951 posts, read 2,517,132 times
^^^^ Funny

If you are going to be employed as waiters and waitresses. OR Djing. You need to consider Las Vegas. You will not be paid better for these jobs anywhere in the US than Vegas. The strip has a union and wages are high.

The weather is similar to Greece. Have you been to Chicago in the winter? Sorry but Chicago, unless you have family there you'll be living with is an odd choice.

Old 03-06-2017, 07:06 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,167,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterllc View Post
Just walk in, evade - you will be fine - 20 million "undocumented" immigrants cannot be wrong.
The number is believed to be below 11 million at this point, after having peaked at 12 million before enforcement was stepped up. Remember, too, that's not 11 million workers or even 11 million adults, but includes children and retirees, etc.

Old 03-06-2017, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
^^^^ Funny

If you are going to be employed as waiters and waitresses. OR Djing. You need to consider Las Vegas. You will not be paid better for these jobs anywhere in the US than Vegas. The strip has a union and wages are high.

The weather is similar to Greece. Have you been to Chicago in the winter? Sorry but Chicago, unless you have family there you'll be living with is an odd choice.
Chicago has enough of a Greek population to be the setting for "My Big, Fat, Greek Wedding." (although the film was produced in Toronto and the original author grew up in Winnipeg.)

Old 03-06-2017, 11:18 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,936,800 times
I would say the prospects are not good. If you come here you would probably end up being a waiter. Even a cab driver would be difficult because you don't know your way around. I don't even know if you could come here legally with all the tightening up of requirements. Many came on tourist visas and just stayed. Now that will get you sent back and you won't be able to come back at all or maybe for ten years. Maybe find some other opportunity in another country. Also your wife would need a license to be a hairdresser here and that might mean she would have to go back to hairdressing school for a while and pay money for that. Not easy.

Old 03-09-2017, 05:06 PM

28 posts, read 46,276 times
I haven't been to Chicago,no.But heavy winter is something I liiiiike!!

So,all in all,we may come there for just a trip and see how things are around.Maybe we're lucky enough to come along some employer that IS interested in giving us a chance.Who knows!

Old 03-10-2017, 12:36 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,936,800 times
Keep in mind if you violate a tourist visa you will be sent back and barred from coming back for ten years.

Old 03-10-2017, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billys155 View Post
I haven't been to Chicago,no.But heavy winter is something I liiiiike!!

So,all in all,we may come there for just a trip and see how things are around.Maybe we're lucky enough to come along some employer that IS interested in giving us a chance.Who knows!
Try to make connections before you come - there may be some Greek people or associations that like the idea of bringing more Greeks to Chicago. I know there is at least one Irish business owner in Chicago who goes out of his way to help Irish move here. It's possible there is a Greek equivalent, but finding out ahead of time will help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: