Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 02:34 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,115,685 times

Advertisements

Do you like Hardee's? I just discovered there is one on the Manheim Plaza off the trun from North Ave West to Manheim! Yippee Horay! Now I don't have to go to Rockton or Champaign - Urbana for a Hardee's fix!

Comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 02:42 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,871,142 times
There used to be a Hardee's in Elk Grove Village; I believe it was on Busse and Pratt. But it lasted maybe a few years, until it closed.

Old 03-20-2017, 03:02 PM

796 posts, read 930,125 times
there's absolutely a hardees in chicago.

there's one in back of the yards right on 47th and damen.

well EDIT, that one is actually closed already.........

Old 03-20-2017, 04:10 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,115,685 times
I talked to the guy at the Hardee's counter and he said there was a Hardee's on the South Side but it didn't survive. I admit, the menu at Hardee's -- stuff is expensive! But I do like variety!

And there are only two rare Sonic's in Chicago, too!

If only Huddle House came to Chicago! YUM!

Old 03-21-2017, 08:04 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,216,932 times
Sonic's food is disgusting. I do think Hardees burgers are really good. I used to love the thick burger.

Chicago is known for it's food. The mom n' pop/local places in Chicago that have been there forever make Chicago-style fast food that tastes far better than anything you'll get at Hardee's or especially Sonic.

Sonic. Is. Gross.

You won't see a lot of those restaurants because Chicagoans are big on local restaurants or homegrown chains because our local food is better than national fast food chains. National or regional chains don't last in Chicago because Chicagoans don't eat it for the most part. There is no need. We didn't grow up on it. Our neighborhoods don't have them. Why eat at Pizza Hut when Chicago pizza is far better? Why would Chicagoans eat at Huddle House when the city has incredible breakfast restaurants like Batter and Berries or Yolk? Huddle House would not last up against Chicago's breakfast spots. As a Chicago native, I can say that I very rarely ate national chain food until I moved to the south.

You must be a transplant from the south.

Old 03-21-2017, 10:13 AM

2,693 posts, read 3,186,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
Sonic's food is disgusting. I do think Hardees burgers are really good. I used to love the thick burger.

Chicago is known for it's food. The mom n' pop/local places in Chicago that have been there forever make Chicago-style fast food that tastes far better than anything you'll get at Hardee's or especially Sonic.

Sonic. Is. Gross.

You won't see a lot of those restaurants because Chicagoans are big on local restaurants or homegrown chains because our local food is better than national fast food chains. National or regional chains don't last in Chicago because Chicagoans don't eat it for the most part. There is no need. We didn't grow up on it. Our neighborhoods don't have them. Why eat at Pizza Hut when Chicago pizza is far better? Why would Chicagoans eat at Huddle House when the city has incredible breakfast restaurants like Batter and Berries or Yolk? Huddle House would not last up against Chicago's breakfast spots. As a Chicago native, I can say that I very rarely ate national chain food until I moved to the south.

You must be a transplant from the south.
There's plenty of chains in Chicago though. Lakeview alone has multiple locations of Starbucks, Dunkin, Subway, McDonalds, Chipotle, and at least one location for Popeyes, Pizza Hut, Taco Bell, Dominos, Jimmy Johns, Boston Market, and Jersey Mikes.

They must do decent enough since Lakeview isn't exactly unusual in that regard. The market was also recently targeted by Sonic, which opened its first location in Uptown, and Culvers is planning on opening its first Chicago stores as well.

Old 03-21-2017, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
There's plenty of chains in Chicago though. Lakeview alone has multiple locations of Starbucks, Dunkin, Subway, McDonalds, Chipotle, and at least one location for Popeyes, Pizza Hut, Taco Bell, Dominos, Jimmy Johns, Boston Market, and Jersey Mikes.

They must do decent enough since Lakeview isn't exactly unusual in that regard. The market was also recently targeted by Sonic, which opened its first location in Uptown, and Culvers is planning on opening its first Chicago stores as well.
I am not saying that chains don't exist in Chicago, but in certain areas certain chains won't don't do well.

Sure Sonic may be targeting Chicago but I'm willing to bet you my last dollar that is not going to stay open long because their food is not good, especially compared to Chicago-style fast food. Hell, Sonic isn't even as good as McDonald's. I really think that Chicagoans will not be impressed with Sonic once they actually taste the food. It really is not good at all.

I remember they opened up a Sonic in I believe it was Wisconsin and it was a big deal when it first opened but it did not stay open long at all.

Old 03-21-2017, 02:54 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,871,142 times
Quote:
Sure Sonic may be targeting Chicago but I'm willing to bet you my last dollar that is not going to stay open long because their food is not good, especially compared to Chicago-style fast food. Hell, Sonic isn't even as good as McDonald's. I really think that Chicagoans will not be impressed with Sonic once they actually taste the food. It really is not good at all.
Also, Sonic's business model of car-oriented service and no indoor seating area is incompatible with Chicago. Both the climate and the city layout. It's too dang cold to eat in your car for 7 months of the year, and a lot of areas where they operate have many pedestrians that Sonic isn't equipped to serve. It might do better in warm, massively auto-centric regions like California, Texas, and the South. But not Chicago.

Old 03-21-2017, 03:15 PM

2,693 posts, read 3,186,873 times
Quote:
I am not saying that chains don't exist in Chicago, but in certain areas certain chains won't don't do well.

I remember they opened up a Sonic in I believe it was Wisconsin and it was a big deal when it first opened but it did not stay open long at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Also, Sonic's business model of car-oriented service and no indoor seating area is incompatible with Chicago. Both the climate and the city layout. It's too dang cold to eat in your car for 7 months of the year, and a lot of areas where they operate have many pedestrians that Sonic isn't equipped to serve. It might do better in warm, massively auto-centric regions like California, Texas, and the South. But not Chicago.
It's been open for nearly 3 years now. Something must be working. I mean it's not like they don't have a drive through.

All of that being said though, I've had it in Chicago all of once. It was no better or worse that how it's been when I've had it elsewhere, but I rarely crave anything from there, so I don't really care one way or another if it closes.

A chain I would like to see in Chicago is Steak 'n Shake though. They claim they don't open in the city due to their diner like experience, but that didn't stop them from opening a smaller location in Times Square. I'd love to have a similar one in downtown. I'd certainly prefer that over another Shake Shack or Chick-Fil-A

Old 03-21-2017, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
I was going to say that too. I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago