Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 03:37 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,628,153 times

Advertisements

How about a Blues Museum? Like right on Michigan Ave. across from Millennium Park.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2017, 04:03 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,190,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
Unfortunately, the state (and city) do not have the funds to underwrite/support these institutions as much as they did previously, so Chicago museums/institutions increasingly rely on admission charges, private funds etc. Not sure how much of a deterrent this is for tourists; many tourists just set aside costs for museums. Chicago museum prices (w/ exception of Shedd, which is ruthless) aren't that much higher than in other top cities and many of the Chicago museums are of a higher caliber.
Has Cook County ever considered a small cultural institution tax? The city of St. Louis and the adjacent St. Louis County has one, and its why the St. Louis Art Museum, Zoo, and Science Center are all free except for special exhibits.

Quote:
How about a Blues Museum? Like right on Michigan Ave. across from Millennium Park.

St. Louis landed the National Blues Museum, and it opened last year I believe. Chicago will be getting a museum entitled the Chicago Blues Experience. I assume they will try and differentiate themselves and focus more specifically on Chicago.

Last edited by PerseusVeil; 03-27-2017 at 04:44 PM..

Old 03-27-2017, 04:09 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,876,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
Has Cook County ever considered a small cultural institution tax? The city of St. Louis and the adjacent St. Louis County has one, and its why the St. Louis Art Museum, Zoo, and Science Center are all free except for special exhibits.
Haha! If there's anything Cook County doesn't need, it's more taxes. It may be meant for a good cause, but knowing the Chicago politicians, I'm worried.

Old 03-27-2017, 04:14 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,190,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Haha! If there's anything Cook County doesn't need, it's more taxes. It may be meant for a good cause, but knowing the Chicago politicians, I'm worried.
Then pony up and pay the price of admission to the museums. They're not going to be able to lower their prices or get rid of them completely without assistance. Other cities that have free high quality museums, zoos, and other cultural attractions had to use taxes in order to accomplish their goals.

Old 03-27-2017, 05:19 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,989,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
Reboot the Loop, Chicago's original downtown core, with much more restaurants, nightlife, entertainment and wine bars. Loop needs to be boss, not River North or far north. This city needs to get its house in order. When I stay in the Loop, I feel this is a no go zone or no man zone after 9PM. Everyone is leaving and heading out! The theaters can't save it all the time.
Why are you staying in the Loop?

Old 03-27-2017, 09:35 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,926,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
Why are you staying in the Loop?
I only stay in city's traditional downtown core since it's the center of the city. If I stay outside downtown and do things outside downtown, I'd go to L.A. or Phoenix. I like heart of the cities.

Old 03-27-2017, 09:44 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,244,032 times
Quote:
I only stay in city's traditional downtown core since it's the center of the city. If I stay outside downtown and do things outside downtown, I'd go to L.A. or Phoenix. I like heart of the cities.
Why do you think only the Loop is still only downtown Chicago? You feel only Mid-town is downtown NYC of the traditional downtown of Lower-Manhattan? Even the census defines a big city's core downtown. By a 2-mile radius of its City Hall. It doesn't go by a city's defined boundary.

That gives Chicago more then the Loop anyway and the harbor in Lake Michigan as its downtown too. LOL

Old 03-27-2017, 11:30 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,926,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Why do you think only the Loop is still only downtown Chicago? You feel only Mid-town is downtown NYC of the traditional downtown of Lower-Manhattan? Even the census defines a big city's core downtown. By a 2-mile radius of its City Hall. It doesn't go by a city's defined boundary.

That gives Chicago more then the Loop anyway and the harbor in Lake Michigan as its downtown too. LOL
Chicago is not NY. Loop was originally Chicago main downtown area with River North being near North. Chicago's Southside used to be from Congress expressway south. If you go back in the 1980's and before, that was the original definition of downtown(Chicago River to the north and Congress Expressway to the south).

Old 03-28-2017, 01:08 AM

Quote:

Just read about one. News out yesterday. A New Blues Museum coming for Da Loop.

http://chicago.curbed.com/2017/3/27/...-the-loop-2019

The 50,000-square-foot tourist attraction hopes to make its ‘sweet home’ below 25 E. Randolph Street in Da Loop.

Though Chicago’s Central Business District may seem like an unlikely spot to highlight a musical movement that traces its roots overwhelmingly to the city’s South Side, the location was picked to be tourist friendly and compliment other nearby cultural attractions such as the soon-to-open American Writer’s Museum and Millennium Park’s Jay Pritzker Pavilion. Recently announced as the new home for the annual Chicago Blues Festival—an event that is expected to collaborate with the upcoming museum.

Old 03-28-2017, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Chicago is not NY. Loop was originally Chicago main downtown area with River North being near North. Chicago's Southside used to be from Congress expressway south. If you go back in the 1980's and before, that was the original definition of downtown(Chicago River to the north and Congress Expressway to the south).
No it goes back further. Once (Big John) Broke ground on waaaaay N Michigan Av. and opened in 1968. With the Magnificent Mile becoming the cities. Premier Shopping street and its Top Hotels getting built there. The change wasn't just inevitable? It was -- signed, sealed, and delivered for the city's Greater Business District HAD PUSHED NORTH TOO. Add the phenomenal growth at hand for River North. You LOST DA LOOP AS ALONE AS DOWNTOWN into the 70s. The Loop was still declining then. While areas north were not and spreading its wings.

The New East Side began its rise in the late 60s with office buildings first, then hotel and Skyscraper living. Streeterville was to steal some of the Gold Coast growth then too.

Again, you don't re-write the evolution and expansion of a cities core? Because you think borders are in stone? The city grew by absorbing whole neighborhoods. As did your LA. Though it could not Beverly Hills, Malibu or Pasadena.

Thanks for the non-answer on NYC's Central Business District and downtown for you? Traditional or otherwise?

Again, the Loop is a neighborhood in Chicago's GREATER Business District as defined by Da City itself.

https://data.cityofchicago.org/Facil...rict/tksj-nvsw
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago