Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 08:31 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,421,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
I'm out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Splendid! Won't be missed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2017, 06:06 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,990,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
You failed your try living in the US try in the 80s or before? Claimed a recent trip a few years ago. I think you got some things wrong.

Perhaps you could list ugly neighborhoods in housing varieties offered and why? Always give non-generic details if possible.

What kinds of Chicago housing and block lay-out is ugly?

Some input could boost believability?

If your perspective is Northern European ? What is ugly in Chicago housing through the decades? It just seems a bias more then credible toward the US in general.
I grew up in the suburbs and now I live between Lincoln Square and Andersonville. I think most of the northside near the lake is very attractive. I was recently at a family event on the NW side and yeah, a lot of it is ugly. I'm talking those boring 1950's bungalows. Some of them with really awful additions.

Old 04-06-2017, 07:22 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,921,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
I grew up in the suburbs and now I live between Lincoln Square and Andersonville. I think most of the northside near the lake is very attractive. I was recently at a family event on the NW side and yeah, a lot of it is ugly. I'm talking those boring 1950's bungalows. Some of them with really awful additions.
Some of the mass-produced bungalows are uninspiring (especially in color), but the craftsman-style bungalows are quite nice. Chicago seems to have more of the former than the latter, though..

I do like Milwaukee's bungalows, though, and Portland's, too..

Old 04-06-2017, 07:51 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,245,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Some of the mass-produced bungalows are uninspiring (especially in color), but the craftsman-style bungalows are quite nice. Chicago seems to have more of the former than the latter, though..

I do like Milwaukee's bungalows, though, and Portland's, too..
I agree. Chicago is 1/3 the bungalow belt defined as built 1910-1930 or to 1940 and like 80 thousand in the city and 100 thousand if you include the metro.
I much prefer them then the side by row homes more prevalent in the east. Especially a Mid-Atlantic state like PA. To say tat in a Philly forum? Would have you labeled a hater.
But when Chicago was building its bungalow belt for the masses. Philadelphia was still doing full blocks of row-homes. Boston even went to its Triple-dockets over rows.

Quote:
I still like most of the 50s ones. Especially late 50s early 60s. Clean timeless look, held up well, no one ever feels a need to upgrade their look (including the 20s 30s bungalows).

I also like the pale pink brick Chicago used for their construction with merely fronts having other brick varieties. Pretty unique to Chicago. I think Chicago's Mid-century modern were a good solid choice and the homes. Very well built too.

Will always remember my relatives homes they had as these. platinum white-washed woodwork and cabinets and the pale pink brick LOL. Oh, and they originally had pink appliances. oh and those that chose the polished stainless steel storm windows? They were a great feature too. Mostly a 60s addition I believe.

Old 04-06-2017, 09:35 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,921,420 times
Even if Chicago bungalows leave something to be desired, I'd still take them over Philly/Baltimore rowhouses, which are often a bit dilapidated, and in tree-less neighborhoods...

Old 04-06-2017, 09:51 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,421,231 times
Quote:
For sure. I would say a good 60%-70% of Chicago overall is either very attractive to beautiful. It's the far stretches, like the northwest part of places like Portage Park or Edison Park, with those bland, sterile, 1950's apartment buildings that are eh. I wouldn't even call the ugly, just extremely bland and cookie cutter.

Old 04-06-2017, 01:56 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,168,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tellinit2ya View Post
What does Chicago need to make it more exciting for more people and compete with other top tourist destinations in the US?
Whitewater rafting!!!! DUH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellinit2ya View Post
Are the same festivals year after year and same museums (that other cities have) enough?!

What are you saying here?? We have unique to Chicago festivals and museums. The Art Institute, The MCA, the Field Museum, the Adler, not to mention the plethora of off the beaten track museums (https://imss.org/ for example) make this a wonderful city to explore!

The summer music festivals have unique perspectives in their respective categories (blues, jazz, gospel, punk, heavy metal, indie rock, and more...) .

The neighborhood fests (Northalsted Market Days, Old Town Arts Fest, West Fest, Retro on Roscoe, etc etc...) give you unique glimpses into what makes Chicago a vibrant diverse place and each has it's own vibe.

You are truly lacking in brain cells if you can't find stuff to do here.

Old 04-06-2017, 02:06 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,245,620 times
[/color]
Quote:
Originally Posted by frimpter928 View Post
For sure. I would say a good 60%-70% of Chicago overall is either very attractive to beautiful. It's the far stretches, like the northwest part of places like Portage Park or Edison Park, with those bland, sterile, 1950's apartment buildings that are eh. I wouldn't even call the ugly, just extremely bland and cookie cutter.
I'm a bit different on the 50s 60s varieties. I like most more then not. Just my opinion not disagreeing as we surely can disagree.

I rather like these 50s 60 apartment buildings that can look the same as when built and rocks for me as still cool and the PALE PINK Brick bungalow-ranches. Simple but still timeless to me for a clean urban environment with still hits most bells and whistles of more suburban sprawl. But not sprawl.

I still like the simplicity and clean look that defined a era. These styles still say Chicago as much as Lincoln Park Logan Square or Portage Park earlier decade examples do. Doesn't mean I like them better than a Lincoln Park. But I did live among them once and I LIKE EM too. Not ugly or bland to me.....

Singles to the apartments 💓 to 2-flats that Gotta have a Greek statue too.

Last edited by DavePa; 07-08-2017 at 06:00 PM..

Old 04-06-2017, 06:52 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,933,405 times
Those apartment complexes do not look so bad at all but most of the city is not as tidy or maintained, overall Chicago looked very gritty to me especially for European standards. Anyway, a few nice streets outside of downtown which is admittedly nice, do not make Chicago an interesting destination for tourists. It just lacks things to see and do. Then there is the crime issue, generally it is a very high crime city.

Old 04-07-2017, 05:37 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,990,757 times
where on earth did you go? The normal tourist neighborhoods look great. You're pretty much wrong about everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago