Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 07:29 PM

27 posts, read 27,522 times

Advertisements

Academically it's probably the best. I don't know anything about the social aspect of going there, but the high school kids I've met from Lab are very bright.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2017, 08:45 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Just to clarify, the info I shared about tuition was so the OP can get a better understanding of just how costly Lab School's "list price" is -- that should be factored into the OP's decision about the total out of pocket cost. Others have pointed out that Lab is not "apples to apples" comparison to St. Rita or Mother Mac, and I would largely agree with that but as I have fairly broad base of contacts, ranging from faculty at all the mentioned schools to friends / relatives who've graduated from those schools or sent their kids to them I am qualified to say that "value" is extremely hard to quantify when it comes to education.

Fact is the same sorts of forces that shape kids in any public or private school are much more about their family and the small circle of friends they spend the most time with -- for kids who might live in an affluent part of the city of suburbs that is very different than the total pool of classmates who attend their school.

From the perspective of the OP the real question, whether their child is looking at pre-school, elementary / middle school or high school is simple: Even after the "discount" is the $15k or so out of pocket really going to be the best use of funds? If the OP can send their child to a more affordable private school and use the savings for things like trips and family based exploration of the cultural offerings of the region I am confident that the outcome would be just as good if not better.

There are no shortage of "very bright" kids in all the nicer public schools; truth be told in terms of raw potential even many of the crummy public schools have many "very bright" kids who likely will not escape their circumstances.

Fact is if the OP decides to live in a nicer suburb that is still a reasonably short commute to UofC or even jump through the hoops to help put their child on a path to go one of CPS top rated selective admissions schools the ability to keep even more money in their pocket is very likely to have even more positive effects for their child and overall family well being. There really is no "magic carpet to success". For every kid that goes to a fancy private school and is successful there are far more of their classmates that do not take advantage of their opportunity. The kids that achieve success coming out of more ordinary schools are similarly applying their own drive and determination while their less motivated classmates fail to capitalize on things...

I could go on and on about how many poorly adjusted children from very privileged families do not benefit from the expenditures made on their behalf, but the OP would not really benefit from that knowledge. What I will say is that no matter if the OP's now one year old is otherwise well cared for whatever "extras" are part of the $15K annual out of pocket at Lab are unlikely to have any positives beyond much more affordable care that meets NAEYC guidelines -- https://families.naeyc.org/accredite...gram-standards This is substantianed by research: National Pre-K and Early Learning Evaluation Center | The National Pre-K and Early Learning Evaluation Center

Old 03-29-2017, 11:44 AM

201 posts, read 277,894 times
Just curious OP, regardless of schooling, where are you considering living?

Old 03-29-2017, 08:30 PM

27 posts, read 27,522 times
I apologize if my post sounded flippant. I guess I just wanted to say that the kids I've met from Lab are very smart. I didn't mean to say there weren't "very bright" kids at other schools.

Personally, location would be very important. Price would be too, but proximity to where I lived and worked would really factor in -- especially with a very young child.

Old 03-29-2017, 08:48 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,908,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Just to clarify, the info I shared about tuition was so the OP can get a better understanding of just how costly Lab School's "list price" is -- that should be factored into the OP's decision about the total out of pocket cost. Others have pointed out that Lab is not "apples to apples" comparison to St. Rita or Mother Mac, and I would largely agree with that but as I have fairly broad base of contacts, ranging from faculty at all the mentioned schools to friends / relatives who've graduated from those schools or sent their kids to them I am qualified to say that "value" is extremely hard to quantify when it comes to education.

Fact is the same sorts of forces that shape kids in any public or private school are much more about their family and the small circle of friends they spend the most time with -- for kids who might live in an affluent part of the city of suburbs that is very different than the total pool of classmates who attend their school.

From the perspective of the OP the real question, whether their child is looking at pre-school, elementary / middle school or high school is simple: Even after the "discount" is the $15k or so out of pocket really going to be the best use of funds? If the OP can send their child to a more affordable private school and use the savings for things like trips and family based exploration of the cultural offerings of the region I am confident that the outcome would be just as good if not better.

There are no shortage of "very bright" kids in all the nicer public schools; truth be told in terms of raw potential even many of the crummy public schools have many "very bright" kids who likely will not escape their circumstances.

Fact is if the OP decides to live in a nicer suburb that is still a reasonably short commute to UofC or even jump through the hoops to help put their child on a path to go one of CPS top rated selective admissions schools the ability to keep even more money in their pocket is very likely to have even more positive effects for their child and overall family well being. There really is no "magic carpet to success". For every kid that goes to a fancy private school and is successful there are far more of their classmates that do not take advantage of their opportunity. The kids that achieve success coming out of more ordinary schools are similarly applying their own drive and determination while their less motivated classmates fail to capitalize on things...

I could go on and on about how many poorly adjusted children from very privileged families do not benefit from the expenditures made on their behalf, but the OP would not really benefit from that knowledge. What I will say is that no matter if the OP's now one year old is otherwise well cared for whatever "extras" are part of the $15K annual out of pocket at Lab are unlikely to have any positives beyond much more affordable care that meets NAEYC guidelines -- https://families.naeyc.org/accredite...gram-standards This is substantianed by research: National Pre-K and Early Learning Evaluation Center | The National Pre-K and Early Learning Evaluation Center
I have to agree here. The best, or most expensive school, isn't always the answer. I'm quite sure that there are many thousands of success stories of Chicagoland children who didn't attend the U of C Lab school. This should be reinforced by the stupendous cost of the U of C---why should high school, let alone college, force parents to expend every spare dollar they might have?

Old 03-30-2017, 03:10 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,179,639 times
I've had three children go through the lab school; along with Obama's kids, some judge's kids, Rahm's kids and some Pritzker kids. Its' a great place but somewhat elitist.

The students really like the place and they get a great, supportive education. I think that the curriculum really brings out the best in students and makes it easy for them to learn. There is great diversity in the student population and there are interesting extracurriculars. Plus, now some celebrities have dumped a whole passel of money on the school so it is going full bore!

On the other side, it is possible for students to fail out of lab. Some also do no do well in a challenging learning atmosphere. And, yes, tuition is steep.

Old 03-30-2017, 07:23 PM

201 posts, read 277,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
I've had three children go through the lab school; along with Obama's kids, some judge's kids, Rahm's kids and some Pritzker kids. Its' a great place but somewhat elitist.
Sure sounds like it...

Old 04-01-2017, 06:46 PM

92 posts, read 92,175 times
I know quite a few people who go to lab. All got a great education, but I've never met more elitist, entitled, spoiled, and "intellectual" teenagers from any other school, who think that just because their parents can write out a huge check for their school they are better than others. Sure you get the fantastic education that many believe a CPS school can't offer, but the social/elitist atmosphere is gonna suck big time. Honestly, for the money you're better off sending your kids to a "humble" catholic school, and then trying for a CPS selective enrollment high school.

Old 04-01-2017, 07:40 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,370,923 times
It depends on the family and the kid. I know "regular" people who have scrimped to send their kids to lab as they worked in a "regular" non-prof, non-MD role at UofC. Anecdotal I know, but it turned out well in their case. Never heard a negative word, always appreciation. Big 10 college grad kid with an interesting career out on the west coast.

Old 04-02-2017, 07:11 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,986,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
It depends on the family and the kid. I know "regular" people who have scrimped to send their kids to lab as they worked in a "regular" non-prof, non-MD role at UofC. Anecdotal I know, but it turned out well in their case. Never heard a negative word, always appreciation. Big 10 college grad kid with an interesting career out on the west coast.
I have a similar story to tell, an old friend worked 2 pharmacy jobs to send her kid to Lab. The daughter is in her 2nd or 3rd year of college out east, can't remember where. VERY down to earth family, the parents are both children of immigrants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago