Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 06:06 PM

201 posts, read 275,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats Grobnick View Post
They've pretty much taken over the nightlife/bar scene in Lakeview, Lincoln Park, Bucktown, Wicker Park, West Loop, Roscoe Village, and recently Logan Square. Avondale and Uptown will be there next target, and probably Pilsen.
There is no "they" with some kind of secret agenda "targeting" neighborhoods. Nearly (there are some exceptions) every single neighborhood in the city looks VASTLY different today both demographically and physically than it did 50-60 years ago. The simple fact is that young people want to live around other young people and amenities that young, often single people typically enjoy. It is not a new phenomenon, nor is it unique to Chicago, nor is it some targeted conspiracy.

There is nothing wrong with being melancholy or sad about seeing neighborhoods change, I've seen it to a degree around where I grew up (although not so much "yuppies" moving in) and it is sometimes frustrating, but faulting young people for wanting to live their lives in vibrant city neighborhoods with easy access to the loop and other young people nearby is ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2017, 10:14 AM

37,822 posts, read 41,625,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Does this mean mighty NYC is more transient too?
In a sense it actually is. Basically all of the domestic migrants leaving the Tri-State region (and there are several hundred thousand of them) are replaced with immigrants.

Old 04-06-2017, 10:15 AM

37,822 posts, read 41,625,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prhill View Post
NYC is hardly the greatest city in the country. I doubt it is even the greatest city in the state of New York
Only a Chicagoan would say something like this LOL.

Old 04-06-2017, 11:08 AM

1,022 posts, read 768,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Only a Chicagoan would say something like this LOL.
No that is not true at all

Old 04-06-2017, 02:29 PM

255 posts, read 409,517 times
The wealthier people who have kids tend to move out. If you don't have kids, and you are in a good neighborhood, you'll probably stay so long as you keep the same job. You'll probably see more couples choose not to have kids in the future.

Old 04-06-2017, 04:59 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,967,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valpofan11 View Post
The wealthier people who have kids tend to move out. If you don't have kids, and you are in a good neighborhood, you'll probably stay so long as you keep the same job. You'll probably see more couples choose not to have kids in the future.
No, the really wealthy people stay and send their kids to Latin or Lab, or the British school or Lycee Francais. It's the middle - upper middle who move.

Old 04-06-2017, 05:46 PM

6,707 posts, read 6,419,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
No, the really wealthy people stay and send their kids to Latin or Lab, or the British school or Lycee Francais. It's the middle - upper middle who move.
I'd agree with this because "Chad and Trixie" don't want to pay high taxes in addition to private school tuition $$$ when you can find great public schools in the burbs. Now if they have buckets of money laying around, Chad and Trixie may opt to stay in the city and send the kids to private school.

But this is pretty much true of every major metro, no?

Old 04-08-2017, 04:27 PM

4,068 posts, read 7,283,671 times
Quote:
NYC is hardly the greatest city in the country. I doubt it is even the greatest city in the state of New York
I don't get this at all. What other cities do you have in the state of New York? Buffalo? Rochester? Syracuse? Albany? Binghamton?

What city in the state of New York might be considered to be "greater" than NYC?

Old 04-08-2017, 05:45 PM

1,022 posts, read 768,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
I don't get this at all. What other cities do you have in the state of New York? Buffalo? Rochester? Syracuse? Albany? Binghamton?

What city in the state of New York might be considered to be "greater" than NYC?
I have met people who prefer many of the places you mentioned. New York city is known for many very negative things you know which is why some people prefer some of the places you mentioned an others

Old 04-09-2017, 12:54 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,396,987 times
Quote:
I have met people who prefer many of the places you mentioned. New York city is known for many very negative things you know which is why some people prefer some of the places you mentioned an others
The fiscal policies of New York state definitely hurt those smaller metros in upstate NY. Much of Upstate NY & especially Western NY is rustbelt territory that has gotten decimated economically during the past several decades. Most of the resources are allocated towards NYC (much like Chicago in Illinois). I'd argue that a place like Pittsburgh, PA has recovered & diversified better and is more thriving than almost any of the upstate NY cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago