Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2017, 11:14 AM

997 posts, read 850,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Rauner's proposed reforms are only "unfriendly" (though I'd call them realistic) to a certain specific class of worker - the unionized municipal and state employee. Are you a unionized municipal or state employee? I didn't think so. You are being completely railroaded by that special interest in the form of job-stiffling debt and taxes.

We had continuous Democratic governors from 2003 until 2015. When the first of them took office, about 20% of the workforce was unionized. By the time Quinn left office it was at 15%. That's a huge drop. With friends like that, labor needs no enemy.

So liledgy, I'm a union guy who lives in Illinois. Tell me why I should vote Democrat again?

https://www.bls.gov/regions/midwest/...nois_table.htm
See post 205!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2017, 01:19 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,460,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liledgy View Post
See post 205!
Again, liledgy, who should labor vote for?

Old 05-09-2017, 01:28 PM

The lessor of to the evils. For the last 50 plus years that has been the democrats.

Old 05-09-2017, 01:32 PM

Quote:
The lessor of to the evils. For the last 50 plus years that has been the democrats.
No it hasn't, not since 2003 anyway. Give a better reason.

Old 05-09-2017, 01:41 PM

Some of the reasons labor votes democratic I stated in post 205.

Old 05-09-2017, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Um, trying to keep the 40 hour work week. Overtime after 8 hours of work. Workplace safety rules. Keeping Osha training, affordable healthcare, trying to keep Social security, Medicare funded. To name a few.
All things the republicans are trying to eliminate
Can you post a link to where Republicans are trying to eliminate the minimum wage and overtime law? I've never heard that one but I'm curious to see the proposal. Same with the bill to eliminate regulations governing workplace safety. I never heard of that one either but I admit I don't know everything. I would like to take a look at that also.

I will guess that you have no idea what the new health care bill says but are merely buying into the hysteria from the left wing media. To be fair, people a lot more educated than you are doing the same thing. Have your health care costs gone down since Obamacare though? If so lucky you.

I'd also like links to the proposals where they're going to defund Social Security and Medicare if you can. Thank you in advance.

Old 05-09-2017, 03:46 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Quote:
Can you post a link to where Republicans are trying to eliminate the minimum wage and overtime law? I've never heard that one but I'm curious to see the proposal. Same with the bill to eliminate regulations governing workplace safety. I never heard of that one either but I admit I don't know everything. I would like to take a look at that also.

I will guess that you have no idea what the new health care bill says but are merely buying into the hysteria from the left wing media. To be fair, people a lot more educated than you are doing the same thing. Have your health care costs gone down since Obamacare though? If so lucky you.

I'd also like links to the proposals where they're going to defund Social Security and Medicare if you can. Thank you in advance.
If you're curious, go find them yourself, and stop parroting Fox News garbage.

This thread is beyond the expiration date. I seldom ask for the input of the moderator, but it's time to cut the cord.

Old 05-09-2017, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post

This thread is beyond the expiration date. I seldom ask for the input of the moderator, but it's time to cut the cord.
Ask tough questions and the progressives ask for the person to be shut down, go figure. Anyway, I wasn't talking to you, and I didn't cite Fox News. I cited BLS statistics and a Chicago Tribune (hardly a conservative rag) editorial. And you're not a moderator so you can't close the thread. I'd recommend the Huff Po forums if you are offended by my posts.

So, liledgy, can you provide the support I'm asking for? These are some pretty serious allegations, that a major political party wants to get rid of minimum wage, overtime and safety laws. I'd like to see the support for the allegations.

Old 05-09-2017, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post

And I would go find them myself but I can't. I typed "republicans propose to eliminate minimum wage and overtime law" into google and got nothing!

Old 05-09-2017, 05:28 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
And I would go find them myself but I can't. I typed "republicans propose to eliminate minimum wage and overtime law" into google and got nothing!
You aren't googling the right thing, I would guess.

Jeb Bush makes the case against the federal minimum wage | MSNBC

As for safety, they are already gutting the regulations

Republicans are poised to repeal important worker protections, starting with the requirement that federal contractors play fair | Economic Policy Institute

Quote:
The Fair Pay and Safe Workplaces rule requires that contractors disclose violations of federal labor laws and executive orders addressing wage and hour, safety and health, collective bargaining, family and medical leave, and civil rights protections. Agency contracting officials take this information into account in awarding federal contracts. Currently, there is no effective system for distinguishing between law-abiding contractors and those that violate labor and employment laws. Billions of dollars have been awarded to companies that violate minimum wage and overtime laws, violate safety and health regulations, and discriminate against workers on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin. The Fair Pay and Safe Workplaces rule helps ensure that taxpayer dollars do not support law-breaking employers.
Trump was fined by OSHA for violating the regulations he is repealing by executive order.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago